Your First Match

Did you shoot your first match due to Boomer Shooter?

• Total voters

dennishoddy

I voted. Thanks to BS and my wife, we will be shooting our first 3GUN match at USSA on the 25th. Y'all dont laugh too loud at us OK? :)

everybody has a first, and trust me.....tell the match director its your first, and you will be put at the last of the shooting list, so that you can watch all that are shooting before you.
By the time your turn comes up, you should have a really good idea on how it works, and gain some strategy on how to shoot your stage.

Most importantly, have fun! :D

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
I was invited to a practical rifle match at Oil Capitol about a year and a half ago by two of my wives coworkers. One was Dave Guyer the match director. I had been shooting for a couple of years before that. Now I try to never go to the range unless I have to. If I am going to spend 10-15 dollars on range fees I'd rather spend it on entry fees and have 1,000,000,000,000 times more fun. I may have understated how much fun the matches are in my last sentence.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I was invited to a practical rifle match at Oil Capitol about a year and a half ago by two of my wives coworkers. One was Dave Guyer the match director. I had been shooting for a couple of years before that. Now I try to never go to the range unless I have to. If I am going to spend 10-15 dollars on range fees I'd rather spend it on entry fees and have 1,000,000,000,000 times more fun. I may have understated how much fun the matches are in my last sentence.

Do you shoot at Oil Capital a bunch? I would really like to see more shooters from that club join us on the forum. I'd also line to offer up or servers to post and store their scores on.

RN&TULSAFIREMAN

Active Fanatic
Our first 3gun at USSA was a blast! Learned A LOT about what ammo runs and what doesnt. I think we both did good for our first time (Didnt DQ on a single stage). Everybody was very nice and helpfull to the noobs. I think I've created a monster tho. I worked overtime yesterday to feed my wifes ammo habbit while she went and shot the steel challenege without me! HA!

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Our first 3gun at USSA was a blast! Learned A LOT about what ammo runs and what doesnt. I think we both did good for our first time (Didnt DQ on a single stage). Everybody was very nice and helpfull to the noobs. I think I've created a monster tho. I worked overtime yesterday to feed my wifes ammo habbit while she went and shot the steel challenege without me! HA!

I think y'all actually did better at that match than the scores showed. I heard that your squad was giving both penalties for the FTN and Unhit targets. That's a bummer and I blame myself for not educating everyone better in the new scoring system.

RN&TULSAFIREMAN

Active Fanatic
No biggie Jesse, we had fun! We'll do better next month with the right ammo and a new comp for the AR. Maybe some trigger work for the Glock 35, it's bone stock. Gotta have C-RUMS weld the carrier on that SLP tho. Wife almost lost her thumbnail!

Oleg Tolmachev

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I've been shooting competitvely for many years, as its always a competition to get the first shot off on a quail flush
wink.gif

The first official IPSC match was about 2 years ago. Started shooting it, as it was a good way to get in lots of shooting, as well as learning how to run the gun under pressure.
Getting some re-training from the military days on reloads, clearing jams, etc was first in my priority.
I will say this, shooting this disclipine goes way beyond what the military teaches you. WAY BEYOND.
After active duty, I spent 8 years in the reserves as a Drill Sgt. Learned a lot about field stripping the 1911 on a table, and taught the same to those I trained. Actual training at the range, with the 1911 was rudimentary. Point and pull the trigger. Round count was considered training.
I hated the 1911 when I was in. They were all worn out, and inaccurate.
Years later, took the plunge and got back into it. I love that platform now.
biggrin.gif

Since, I've bought guns/optics just to compete.
I'm probably not as much into it as some, but its what I look forward to on weekends.
biggrin.gif

I need to learn a few trick to filed strip my Kimber 1911. Last time I cleaned it, it took me about 20 minutes to field strip and put together again without the use of YouTube. 15 min with YouTube. 45 sec to field strip and put together my G23.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I need to learn a few trick to filed strip my Kimber 1911. Last time I cleaned it, it took me about 20 minutes to field strip and put together again without the use of YouTube. 15 min with YouTube. 45 sec to field strip and put together my G23.

Which model Kimber? Do you know the take down trick with a paper clip?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
With the clip it should be a breeze. If you are at Heartland tomorrow Ill show you.

Pro Carry CDP II. Since I lost the take down tool, I've been using a paper clip. I have about 20 of those in the pistol case. I am just amazed how much of a pain the a$$ it is to field strip!

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
My first match was at okc gun club because of jesse t. and i didnt shoot as well as i would have liked but I didnt shoot as badly as I thought I would either. But im hooked. I need to shoot better, faster....do it, if for nothing else to be ready for the zombies

dennishoddy

My Colt doesn't need a paper clip....
My Kimber doesn't either. We had to train to strip our 1911's, and M16's in total darkness. Its just practice.
New guns are a little stiff, but they will work in with some shooting.
I love the CNC machining on the new guns. They are all so tight, and the accuracy of them is so much better than guns 20 years ago.

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
First ever last night! Thanks to all the guys with their patience, advice, and tips! Thanks Steve for loaning me your XDM 9mm. I finished last, but now that I sort of understand how it goes I will improve. Learned a lot last night.

Ordered my own gun today -- M&P Pro w/4 extra mags. I will get lots of practice in this month and be better prepared for next month's match at H&H.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
First ever last night! Thanks to all the guys with their patience, advice, and tips! Thanks Steve for loaning me your XDM 9mm. I finished last, but now that I sort of understand how it goes I will improve. Learned a lot last night.

Ordered my own gun today -- M&P Pro w/4 extra mags. I will get lots of practice in this month and be better prepared for next month's match at H&H.

great choice on the gun!!!

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic

Outstanding, though there wont be any excuses now not to shoot ;-)
Best with your purchase and your shooting.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
My first match was an IDPA match last year where my buddy Rich convinced Eric to run a Hi-Point in IDPA and I wanted to see that. I shot IDPA for a while and I thought it was just great.

Then the Fat Guy Shooting Team told me that IDPA is for nerds and that all the cool kids shoot USPSA so if I wanted a date for the prom I would need to shoot USPSA or I would have to take Weird Jenny Miller to the prom and she smells funny and the chances of her putting out are like 0%. So I burned my fishing vest, did a speed reload while not behind cover, yelled "FTDR THESE NUTS, *****!" and quit IDPA forever (unless I want to shoot my 45 in a match that month).

USPSA is a lot of fun but I suck at it pretty hard. BoomerShooter is a good source of information re: sucking less. Also Ryan Alexander is really patient with my dumb questions and he's a mod here so I guess that means BoomerShooter is helping somehow.