Your First Match

Did you shoot your first match due to Boomer Shooter?

• Total voters

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I shot my first match partly because of BoomerShooter and partly because of my friend Robert Carlile. I've posted this before but it was pretty intimidating. It was an invite only to Robert's range. My squad consisted of Robert, Kelly Raglin, Phil Strader, and Yuth Juneweeranong among others.

I shot my first match partly because of BoomerShooter and partly because of my friend Robert Carlile. I've posted this before but it was pretty intimidating. It was an invite only to Robert's range. My squad consisted of Robert, Kelly Raglin, Phil Strader, and Yuth Juneweeranong among others.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
We are so fortunate to have some many matches and great friends that shoot here in Oklahoma. Im off to bed early so I I can get up early to head to Tulsa for my second Multi gun match of the weekend. Where else does THAT happen?

dennishoddy

You started out with a Stellar Crowd! Congrats for getting the fever like the rest of us! :D

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
My first was the Pro-Am @ Rock Castle last year.

I was going to do it again this year but I seemed to have run into some registration problems...

That who can click fastest deal is a real deterrent to new shooters if u ask me.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
My first match was the Double Tap in 2009. The weather was wet and I don't think I have ever seen that much mud in one range before, but it was probably some of the funnest times I have ever had with a firearm.

WideLoadTimmy

Well-Known Fanatic
I got started late 2010/early 2011 after talking to Wes and having Jesse convince me to just bring my pistol and shoot. Dave E loaned me a holster and I been hooked ever since. There were some awesome people at the first Heartland match. Dave, Jesse and Mike Crywus all talked to me and taught me a bunch. Thanks, guys.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
I want to reiterate the part about just going out and doing it. You hear a lot if guys say they aren't ready yet and need more practice before they attend a match. To heck with that! Like Mitch said you will learn more with your 100 rounds at a match than you will with 500 by yourself getting ready for your first match.

Had to chime in and agree with this. i've been in 3 matches now, all at heartland. I finshed 37th out of 40 and 26th out of 36 in my first two but managed to finish 8th out of 46 in my last one. i've learned things from being in matches that i never would have learned shooting 10,000 rds at the range by myself. the guys there are great and are extremley happy to help out a new shooter. ask all the questions you want, they'll answer them.

i've also just ordered my first AR and it'll be here this week so i've got my shotgun, pistol and AR just about ready to for my first 3 gun match. Lookin forward to it!!!

Jer Fry

Well-Known Fanatic
We want to find out how many new shooters we are introducing to the shooting sports. Please click on the poll if we helped get you started. Then please tell us about the match and how it went.

I actually asked about other matches at my first match, They told me to find them on BoomerShooter.com

LoneStarSOF

Active Fanatic
Just shot my first 3gun match on Saturday at TDSA. Not everything I expected but it was still a fun match. It was good to meet some of you guys out there, Darby and Austin.

I am planning to shoot 3MR for my next match. Any other matches in the DFW area you guys can suggest?

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
Just shot my first 3gun match on Saturday at TDSA. Not everything I expected but it was still a fun match. It was good to meet some of you guys out there, Darby and Austin.

I am planning to shoot 3MR for my next match. Any other matches in the DFW area you guys can suggest?

what do you mean not what you expected?? just curious?

LoneStarSOF

Active Fanatic
There was an entire stage dedicated to bonuse points. Since a blew the bonuse stage I really don't think I got an accurate comparison/ranking to the other shooters.

I was hoping for more stages with all 3 guns, and more shotgun shooting.

Don't get me wrong It was fun, but I think my view of what to expect at a match is a little altered because I watch 3gun nation.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
There was an entire stage dedicated to bonuse points. Since a blew the bonuse stage I really don't think I got an accurate comparison/ranking to the other shooters.

I was hoping for more stages with all 3 guns, and more shotgun shooting.

Don't get me wrong It was fun, but I think my view of what to expect at a match is a little altered because I watch 3gun nation.

ahh, ok, that bonus point thing is a little weird!! just keep in mind each "range" runs their 3gun matches very differently! so you might think about seeing what other 3gun matches that you can drive to, because it will be a different experience...

also to make my experience more like 3gun nation, i have people follow me around with their iphones recording me and asking me questions.. you can usually find these people for a small fee on craigslist..

LoneStarSOF

Active Fanatic
also to make my experience more like 3gun nation, i have people follow me around with their iphones recording me and asking me questions.. you can usually find these people for a small fee on craigslist..

Is that a Semi-Pro tip?

I plan to shoot 3MR, and drive to USSA a couple times for the 3GN club series.

Latest posts