Your First Match

Did you shoot your first match due to Boomer Shooter?

• Total voters

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
We want to find out how many new shooters we are introducing to the shooting sports. Please click on the poll if we helped get you started. Then please tell us about the match and how it went.

gnnrsm8

Well-Known Fanatic
mine was that special concealment match last month at heartland. i think i did alright for a noob.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine will be this Sunday at H&H, if I follow thru it will be directly due to info found on this forum. I will wait until Monday to click your survey.

jtischauser

I added some other options so we can all get a sense for how long everybody else has been participating in organized shooting events. I think it will show that a lot of us are relatively new to the fun.

samuelshoun

Well-Known Fanatic
I voted yes, even though I haven't shot the match yet, here's why...

I probably would have shot a match eventually, but who knows when. I shoot regularly and take classes, but after seeing all the match related discussion here I got pretty amped up about getting started competing now.

I'll probably start with the next IDPA or steel challenge at USSA, whichever happens first.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I started shooting matches several years ago after talking to the guys at OPS in Tulsa. Eric was a good source of encouragement, and knowledge as to what I needed to shoot the match, as well as telling me to just get my butt out there and do it. I shot several IDPA pistol matches with him, and some others. I wish I could afford to attend classes with Marshall and the TDSA guys, but I can't afford it, nor do I have time. I have had time to shoot matches occasionaly. The guys you shoot a match with are great, they know we all started at the bottom. If your attitude is good, and you have a desire to learn they will teach you. And it's cheap as far as lessons go. I learned more shooting a few pistol matches where I was able to squad up with Eric than I would have ever learned shooting ten times the amount of ammo on my own. Don't get me wrong, the local matches are not a replacement for taking classes, but they are a cheap way to get good advice, and you will learn more about your problem areas in a 90 round IDPA match than you ever will shooting pop cans in the back yard.

I am not a gamer, but I am competitive, and just want to be as good as I can be with the weapons I own. It does not bother me to get beat by people who are gamers, I can learn things from them as well. Again, it all comes back to what your attitude is going in to the match. If you are there to have fun, and to learn some things, chances are you will do both. Learn some things before you go. Both about the match "rules" and about your equipment. Pratice things like reloads, and drawing your weapon, and getting it on target. Watch videos of matches. You will do better than you think.

There will occasionaly be people who act a bit elitist. Ignore them. Get with the people who are serious, but relaxed. The only thing that has ever bothered me at local matches is when some people have grouped up with only their friends and ignored the rest. I know these people and know that they didn't intentionaly try to "ignore" the people new to the sport, but where just trying to hang out with the friends they practice and train with, but for you guys, just try to look around, see that guy who may have a big scope, with too many rings on it, and offer to help. I have only seen this happen once, and I am happy to say one of the guys who eyed my gear like it was trash, got smoked by me on several stages, and overall.

Sorry for the long post, but for people who have never shot the matches before, jump in. You will have more fun than you ever have before.

jtischauser

Great post Mitch!!! I want to reiterate the part about just going out and doing it. You hear a lot if guys say they aren't ready yet and need more practice before they attend a match. To heck with that! Like Mitch said you will learn more with your 100 rounds at a match than you will with 500 by yourself getting ready for your first match.

Chambers

actual GM
one of the guys eyed my gear

HAHA!!

I try to go out of my way to help new shooters, but it can be difficult when they don't speak up or act like they don't need it. I guess what I'm saying is...don't be a stranger.

I can only think of a couple instances out of all the matches I've shot where someone acted elitist, and we instantly made fun of them. :)

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
So I guess this poll is only if you shot your first match because of BoomerShooter? I noticed there is no "NO" answer.

Nice, talk about elitist.........I kid, I kid

jtischauser

If you shot a match prior to BS tell us how long you been shooting. We know that you heard about it on OSA.

ChickenGlock

Well-Known Fanatic
yet to manage to make a match...not from lack of desire. You could say yes for me due to some of the members here encouraging me

jtischauser

yet to manage to make a match...not from lack of desire. You could say yes for me due to some of the members here encouraging me

Is this a challenge to all of us to poke and prod you more until you break down and join us.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Until you try it, you will never know how great it feels, when time slows down after you hear "Shooter indicates ready, STANDBY"

It really is one of the best feelings in the world.

MISph1t

Well-Known Fanatic
I got started because of a posting on another forum and started coming here to see the results. I keep coming back because of the people and information here.

I was talking with a coworker today about how everyone is willing to help a newbie get started and about the general lack of ego. I also mentioned the fact that even the pro's will take the time to stop by and answer questions.

This same coworker is heavily involved in competition fishing and he says it's mostly just the opposite. Nobody will share their secrets with you and there are a bunch of egos.

I told him to buy and gun and join us.

ChickenGlock

Well-Known Fanatic
Is this a challenge to all of us to poke and prod you more until you break down and join us.

if you wish to take it that way...the kids and scouts have kept me pretty busy

I fully intend to be at a match soon once time and money permits...of course about the only pistol I have right no wis my sr9c and I am lacking some gear for it...

jtischauser

if you wish to take it that way...the kids and scouts have kept me pretty busy

Sounds like the perfect group to use some .22's at the rifle match at okcgc on the 20th.

What do you do with the boy scouts. I uses to love scouting before unturned into a juvenile delinguent at age 13. I have always thought about getting back into it to help out.

ChickenGlock

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like the perfect group to use some .22's at the rifle match at okcgc on the 20th.

What do you do with the boy scouts. I uses to love scouting before unturned into a juvenile delinguent at age 13. I have always thought about getting back into it to help out.

I work with cub scouts specifically - "pack trainer" and active in the boy's Den basically co leader. I also assist and can plan the entire camping trips. I haven't been as active lately (taken a couple weeks away) but getting back into it.

I'd say great idea except I need more 22s and the 2 youngest aren't big on shooting yet

jtischauser

I work with cub scouts specifically - "pack trainer" and active in the boy's Den basically co leader. I also assist and can plan the entire camping trips. I haven't been as active lately (taken a couple weeks away) but getting back into it.

I'd say great idea except I need more 22s and the 2 youngest aren't big on shooting yet

I know a half dozen guys that would let us use their new Nordic uppers for some fun.

Latest posts