Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
"Different way to produce small parts.. "
more honestly, a Cheaper way to produce parts.

In some areas, it doesn't matter.. if the MIM it treated properly.
MIM triggers can have their hardened surfaces removed when stoning the sear engagement surfaces..
A trigger stoned to 3# can get a lot lighter with use, if the surface hardening treatment is removed.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing I learned with that Rock Island. You cannot mix parts. I had to change all the interior parts to mil-spec. When I mixed and matched it did not work.
I may be in the small minority here, but I see nothing wrong with stock parts. Use 'em till they go south, and then replace them. My Colts, and Springers, have stock parts, and I trust them implicitly. My HiPowers, and my revolvers all do too. I'm finally in the camp of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Took years to get here too. I'm sure I don't shoot as much as a lot of you folks, and if you disagree with me, that's fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just love good guns, no matter who makes them.

Last edited:

Firestorm3511

Fanatic
For the money, obviously, is Tisas a decent starter 1911? I see a Tanker in stock online $450?
I own (2) Tisa's, the Browning High Power Clone in stainless steel and the 380 Faith. Both are well made and go bang everytime I pull the trigger. I like them both. Other than the fact I have (8) 45. ACP's I would pick one up. I did pick up a BUL 9mm 1911 Commander. It is by far the finest 1911 I have ever shot, actually it is the smoothest trigger I have ever pulled on any gun I own or have shot, hands down. For the money, it's a steal.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I will most like regret asking this but what is MIM?
Machine injection molding It's used by industry all over. I think it got a bad rap years ago because some company who shall remain unnamed here, got a batch of poorly made mim internal parts, and they ended up in their 1911's. The parts were crap, and caused a lot of problems apparently. I've owned two of this companies guns made during that time, and it soured me on their product forever. Not to mention that their customer service folks were total jerks. There are good mim parts, and bad mim parts, same as anything else.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
..." I did pick up a BUL 9mm 1911 Commander. It is by far the finest 1911 I have ever shot, actually it is the smoothest trigger I have ever pulled on any gun I own or have shot, hands down. For the money, it's a steal... " Good to see someone shares my opinion.:)

Last edited:

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
That's a heck of a price for the Smith especially for an E. They don't have the odd firing pin safety correct? I've always wanted one.
The great thing about the Smith "E" series is that they did away with the silly FPS gizmo's.
More like what people want to term "70 series".

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought a Kahr P380 well made, good shooter paid a lot. My neighbor bought a identical Kahr CM380 paid a lot less.
We took them apart to see why l paid more.

Bummer! This product is out of stock.

This pistol has the look & all but one thing it needs to work for me, it needs a long trigger it has a wide spur hammer & Flat MSH ;)

I like Turkey with Taters & Gravy so maybe a Turkish 1911 with Bullets. :confused: Let me know when we have a range report.
Good one...I like my Turkey on a plate also. Other than that, no thank you. .

2aCrisis

Fanatic
Tisas Service Model 1911a1,,, bought one and have been enjoying it very much.
i joined this site because my Tisas has rekindled my interest in 1911's. had a Colt mkIV years ago and enjoyed it, great handgun. i wanted to get back into the 1911 world and the Tisas is a very accurate reproduction of the WW era 45acp. i am looking forward some minor tinkering, new grips, maybe springs or the MSH, get an arched style just for fun. fun being the keyword here...

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Tisas Service Model 1911a1,,, bought one and have been enjoying it very much.
i joined this site because my Tisas has rekindled my interest in 1911's. had a Colt mkIV years ago and enjoyed it, great handgun. i wanted to get back into the 1911 world and the Tisas is a very accurate reproduction of the WW era 45acp. i am looking forward some minor tinkering, new grips, maybe springs or the MSH, get an arched style just for fun. fun being the keyword here...
Welcome to the forum, we are happy you are here! For the record any 1911 I own has a short trigger, and an arched m/s housing. Small hands, short fingers, but works best for me.

Chestnut9187

New Fanatic
I don't know about Tisas as I haven't owned one. The best deal I have found on an "American" made 1911 is the Ruger SR1911LW. It has the lightweight frame from their LW Commander and a stainless steel slide. You can get one for under $600. I can provide the site if needed.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know about Tisas as I haven't owned one. The best deal I have found on an "American" made 1911 is the Ruger SR1911LW. It has the lightweight frame from their LW Commander and a stainless steel slide. You can get one for under $600. I can provide the site if needed.
Hello. Welcome to the party, hope you like what you see. Wonderful bunch of folks. I've learned a lot here. I'd be interested in A Tisas. I really like the looks of the Tank Commander. Being small built and short, I really like Commander size guns. I just can't buy one now, things have become tight around here for a while.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
When I was a kid I considered Colt 1911's to be new in the box or broken.

don't get me wrong, I love and seriously collect colt 1911's and have for 50 years but their manufacturing through multiple bankruptcies often sucked and they needed work to be reliable. I buy the NIB's for posterity and the same reasons I buy metals but I shoot and customize (some of) the used ones.

As I have "matured" I have gone to better guns for carry and enjoyment but NOTHING holds it's value like a Colt.

RIA…….have several……..never been impressed.

The Tisas look like a deal for the kids starter 1911 but I will generally buy any used 1911 if it dives to that price range.

just my $.02

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't own a Tisas, 'cause I have too many 1911's already. My handgun storage receptacle is "full + "
If I didn't own any 1911's or had fewer, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.
An indicator of their quality ( IMO ) is that the price of their 1911's has gone up since they were introduced.
Certain models are hard to find ( someone's buying them) and the company has introduced additional / varied models.
I believe this all supports they are selling well, perhaps the best indicator is that good quality , for a low price , = high demand & sales.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I wouldn't mind trying their version on the 1911 A1, cerakote kinda green looking, got the arched mainspring housing, dry fired one at my LGS and felt pretty good, all reviews looked good, the Raider another one that looks good, a copy of the Colt Marines used, prices excellent, about 350 +/- and 700 +/- respectively

cxm

Active Fanatic
Having been stationed in Turkey twice I have some idea of what great people they are... when I look at a Tisas I am always in awe of what a 11 year old Turkish kid can do with a couple of blocks of steel and a file... Very talented people ;)

FWIW

Chuck

Latest posts