Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

SMP

New Fanatic
For the money, obviously, is Tisas a decent starter 1911? I see a Tanker in stock online $450?
great option I got mine for $329. it 's the commander size in 9mm. Shoots great and is well made. The sights are Novack type, but I'm having some issues getting replacement sights. BTW I tried Dawson Precision and they refused to help me out in getting sights.

dennishoddy

great option I got mine for $329. it 's the commander size in 9mm. Shoots great and is well made. The sights are Novack type, but I'm having some issues getting replacement sights. BTW I tried Dawson Precision and they refused to help me out in getting sights.
Did they say why? Is the cut on the receiver not a standard dovetail? It's time consuming, but I have hand worked some rear sights that were oversized to fit the cut.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Love that magazine, one of the testers uses my LGS, I bought the Mossberg 500 retrograde they reviewed when he traded it in, got him to sign the Guntest magazine featuring that shotgun, still kid at heart I guess

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Years ago I subscribed to that magazine, for a few years. Thought it was probably the best gun magazine in print.
Subscription ran out & had lost interest in reading gunmags by then..only made me want to buy more guns...
which is a bad thing when you don't have time to shoot the guns you already own, ..IMO.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I get it, I let my subscription run out also, I still see Robert from time to time when he's trading something in for new test guns, did go back and thumb thru some old editions, pretty entertaining

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure where they are, but I'd bet ( I'm not usually a betting person) that I have all the issues I received, tucked away somewhere in my garage.
The reviews were too good to throw away.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Outstanding, rainy weekend if you get bored and need something to do, might dig them up, I did think some of their groups of guns they would test were a little odd, the did 5 1911's, I think it was 3 Colts, a Les Baer and a Sig, maybe a Kimber and 2 Colts but more than 1 Colt, Colts won, you would think 5 different 1911's but nope, still very entertaining, I should have volunteered to be a tester, that would have been fun!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I recently purchased a Lyman Digital Trigger Pull gauge. I'd tested the trigger pull of most my handguns (& some of my rifles) before,
by using my gunsmith's mechanical trigger pull gauge. Came to the realization that his gauge wasn't that accurate.
I plan on testing the weight on all of my firearms..and recording them. Be interesting, comparing to the notes I made from my earlier testing.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Will definitely be interesting, I've got 2 "Johnny Glock" triggers in 2 of my competition Glocks , one of my shooting buddies/gunsmith has one and as advertised they are at 3.5 lbs, my Desert Eagle 1911 3 lbs thanks to my friend, some of my Glocks he and I have done just polishing and changing connector are 4-4.5, if he didn't have one I would purchase one myself, trigger pull poundage not a have to know bit of information but fun to know for sure, you will enjoy it

Sparky17338

New Fanatic
I'm not familiar with the brand. But I've never heard anything bad about them.
I've owed 3 45ACP 1911's and a 9mm Zigana just bought my 4th 1911 45ACP . They're well made and shoot great. The last one is a 1911 A1 Service with rubber grips 3dot Novak like sights and the best trigger of all of them. The last one was 348 clams and well worth it. The only Tisas I had that I didn't like was a Zigana 9mm with a proprietary plastic grip.

Tall Paul

Fanatic
Just bought two Tisas. I couldn't pass them up due to the great Christmas sale prices. The first is the Match. Great pistol, a very good example of a 45acp govt model with all the extras (mag well, adj sights, forged slide and frame, CHF barrel, no mom, etc). Out of the box a great shooter no malfunctions.
The second is the D10. This 1911 looks sexy with the two tone finish. Shot great no malfunctions. All the great bones of the Match but no mag well (ordered one from Tisas annd went on w/o issue) and the grips are not grippy enough for 10mm. Swapped them for some VZ alien grips. My only complaint is the gun chucks brass to the right then started sending it over my head (better than in my face I suppose). My son was being my brass hound and noted it right away.
Got it home and after some careful examination the extractor it not tight. The firing pin stop is not preventing the extractor from rotating/clocking. I feel I can adjust the extractor a bit (fusion arms video) and if that doesn't work I can try to fit a new firing pin block. Might just call Sds/Tisas and consider sending it back for warranty work.
I am hesitant to do that. I like the gun and if they swap it for another you never know what they might send back in its place.

Tall Paul

Fanatic
Just bought two Tisas. I couldn't pass them up due to the great Christmas sale prices. The first is the Match. Great pistol, a very good example of a 45acp govt model with all the extras (mag well, adj sights, forged slide and frame, CHF barrel, no mom, etc). Out of the box a great shooter no malfunctions.
The second is the D10. Shot great no malfunctions. All the great bones of the Match but no mag well and the grips are not grippy enough for 10mm. Swapped them for some VZ alien grips. My only complaint is the gun chucks brass to the right then started sending it over my head (better than in my face I suppose). My son was being my brass hound and noted it right away.
Got it home and after some careful examination the extractor it not tight. The firing pin stop is not preventing the extractor from rotating/clocking. I feel I can adjust the extractor a bit (fusion arms video) and if that doesn't work I can try to fit a new firing pin block. Might just call Sds/Tisas and consider sending it back for warranty work.
I am hesitant to do that. I like the gun and if they swap it for another you never know what they might send back in its place.

grainfed

Fanatic
I have the Tank Commander and the Raider. Got the Tank Commander first and blended and installed a Wilson Combat grip safety. Shoots everything put in a magazine. Sights are typical sub-standard but it's not a bullseye gun. Traded for a Raider several months ago and it is as good as a 1911 can be. IMO, the Tisas branded 1911's are an amazing value and yes, they are forged and the specs do allow for changing out components with WC, Nighthawk, etc parts and they will fit perfectly. When I carry a 1911, it's the Tank. If I need a light-bearing 1911, the Raider will do just fine. I will add that after taking down all of the Tank components, they are all machined and not MIM, and you can polish them to your heart's content, which I did, and they take on a mirror finish and after tweaking the sear spring, the Tank now has a 3.75 trigger, just as equal to my Baer Super-Tac. The Tisas models are one hell of a bargain.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm definitely craving a Raider!, lots of videos out about them and I can't remember a negative one

grainfed

Fanatic
The Raider is a beast and recoil is reduced due to the rail added for a light, etc. I put in on par with my Springfield Full Rail Operator.....just as heavy, just as accurate, and just about $1,000 or more cheaper. Hard to beat that deal plus SA FR Operators are a limited run gun from SA. Go get one!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
You're really talking me into one, I don't have a 1911 with a rail, after shooting an IDPA night match with a flashlight I almost immediately put Streamlight TLR-1HL on couple of my Glocks, what an improvement. Have looked at the Springfield Operator and the TRP version but little pricey and more pricey for TRP. Next month or so after recovering from Christmas a little my next one is the Raider. Picked up a gen 5 Glock 34 mos and a gen 5 Glock 22(not mos), 900 for both, should have passed and got the Raider and a case of ammo, probably goin 9mm instead of 45

grainfed

Fanatic
Nice deal on the Glocks. If you go 9mm on the Raider, you might have to pretend it has recoil. That will be one smooth pistol as it weighs 36 oz. I'm not a Glock fanatic but did pick up a new Glock 17L last month. Have to say it's a tack driver with that 6 inch barrel and almost zero recoil. Here's your next purchase....

Latest posts