Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
haha you are certainly steering me in the right direction!, my main competition pistol for last 5-6 years has been a Bul Armory Desert Eagle 5" 1911, I'd say as good as the Raider out of the box but little pricier and no rail, you speak the truth about recoil in a 9mm, especially shooting the 147/165 gr competition loads, got to take the rear sight out and replace with plate for optic, went probably 80% blind in my right eye few months ago, optics help, have to close my eye or use a patch being left eye only now, will do same with the Raider, was really an iron sight guy so optics a new learning curve.
My two favorite are 1911's and Glocks, I just like tinkering with them but 1911's first, Glocks second. Now I will do with the Raider like I did with the Desert Eagle, one of my shooting buddies is an old school gunsmith, revolvers, lever actions, 1911's, he's just a genius so we(he)will take it apart, spend couple hrs polishing all the internals, make sure trigger around 3 1/2 lbs with touch of take up, all while we solve all the worlds problems lol!
I'm rambling a little, I apologize, but enjoy conversation about 1911's and shooting either with words or txt. I'll add pictures tomorrow of my Glock 47, my main competition pistol until I get a dot on my Desert Eagle, the Raider will move into the mix as well, carry optics division is starting with 11 rds so 9mm 1911's are perfect

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Today I picked up my new Tisas Yukon. Didn't have time to run it.
Nice features, the fit and finish is pretty good with the exception of the slide to frame slop. It's not bad, just could be a little bit better.

Attachments

• 20240103_193050.jpg
    20240103_193050.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 8

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
If the fit is sloppy, you got a bad one. I took my stingray out today, still running the round count up, at about 600 now. Fit and finish on the thing is perfect. I mentioned before, I have 1911's from all across the board, Wilson to an old RIA, and this one is up there near the top. 100% gunsmith approved, and a blast to shoot. If you have a fit problem, you can actually call their factory in Turkey, and talk to a real person, they want every gun to be perfect. I'm betting they will soon realize their place in the non-custom 1911 market, and raise their prices to the thousand dollar plus level.
Hope you get your problem solved, and enjoy shooting it! They really are great pistols.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Mike.

Ive called SDS and left a message, but have yet to hear back from them. I would think that I need to go through SDS...
If you have a contact number in Turkey, Id appreciate it.
Thanks

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks Mike.

Ive called SDS and left a message, but have yet to hear back from them. I would think that I need to go through SDS...
If you have a contact number in Turkey, Id appreciate it.
Thanks
I'll check with my gunsmith shooting buddy, and get back to you.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
If the fit is sloppy, you got a bad one. I took my stingray out today, still running the round count up, at about 600 now. Fit and finish on the thing is perfect. I mentioned before, I have 1911's from all across the board, Wilson to an old RIA, and this one is up there near the top. 100% gunsmith approved, and a blast to shoot. If you have a fit problem, you can actually call their factory in Turkey, and talk to a real person, they want every gun to be perfect. I'm betting they will soon realize their place in the non-custom 1911 market, and raise their prices to the thousand dollar plus level.
Hope you get your problem solved, and enjoy shooting it! They really are great pistols.
I'm in the running for a Tisas Tank Commander. all steel, wood grips, 45acp. should know by tonight. Price is incredible if I get it for my bid. The buy it now is not too bad either. I think Bud's may be just a bit more, than my bid but it's close. If I don't win this bid I'll buy it from Bud's. I regards to not buying anything else for a while I've waited a couple days (I think) so I figure that meets the definition of waiting for a while. ;)

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't got the contact info from my friend yet, but he did say he went through SDS, so maybe I can get a better number for you. One more thing i found out, looking at the S/N, just after the dash, the first two numbers, if they are 22 or 23 it's a milled receiver, if it's lower, it's not.

Here is where he started his conversations with the Tisas people. This is a number for SDS, which may be the same as you tried:( He said he talked to several people along the way. Sorry, I thought I would be able to get you to a better approach. (865) 604-6894

Last edited:

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't got the contact info from my friend yet, but he did say he went through SDS, so maybe I can get a better number for you. One more thing i found out, looking at the S/N, just after the dash, the first two numbers, if they are 22 or 23 it's a milled receiver, if it's lower, it's not.

Here is where he started his conversations with the Tisas people. This is a number for SDS, which may be the same as you tried:( He said he talked to several people along the way. Sorry, I thought I would be able to get you to a better approach. (865) 604-6894
Hey Mike, I appreciate all your help. Tomorrow should be a light work day so I should have time to reach out.

I hope to actually shot the dang thing soon. The weather coming in may challenge me and my dislike of indoor ranges. Supposed to have some weather coming in this week.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
Good luck, with both the gun and the weather! I just ran another hundred or so thru mine last week, and left it with my gunsmith, for a final trigger tune-up. Trigger pull is at just a hair under 3 lbs., which is where I like my 1911's. I have one, an Emissary, that is a tick shy of 2 1/2 and that is a little light for me. (can we say slam-fire) which is not fun! Keep us posted, their 10mm is kinda tempting.
On another note, I ran a bunch of the 200 gr. D & L .45 GSP stuff thru the Stingray, and all I can say is that stuff is really nice to shoot in that lightweight pistol! Like it was made for it. Oh, wait, it was made for 200 gr. according to Mr. Browning. Good stuff!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Good luck, with both the gun and the weather! I just ran another hundred or so thru mine last week, and left it with my gunsmith, for a final trigger tune-up. Trigger pull is at just a hair under 3 lbs., which is where I like my 1911's. I have one, an Emissary, that is a tick shy of 2 1/2 and that is a little light for me. (can we say slam-fire) which is not fun! Keep us posted, their 10mm is kinda tempting.
On another note, I ran a bunch of the 200 gr. D & L .45 GSP stuff thru the Stingray, and all I can say is that stuff is really nice to shoot in that lightweight pistol! Like it was made for it. Oh, wait, it was made for 200 gr. according to Mr. Browning. Good stuff!
I won my auction payment mailed now the wait. Looking forward to getting it and trying it out!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Awesome Bob, I'm gonna go the Buds Gun Shop route, layaway for couple months, then goin after one of my bucket list 1911's, Kimber Warrior 2, Buds has a few of those also

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I contacted SDS this morning, or at least tried to. I was directed to voicemail. I've also sent them an email discussing my displeasure. I don't think a rattling 1911 should be acceptable in this day and age no matter what the price. I'll keep you updated on what happens.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I finally got somebody to respond to me from sds. They asked me to send them a video which I put on YouTube and sent them the link. This thing rattles very much. I feel it's sloppy. The contact at SDS says it is "Within tolerances ". I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion based off of video. I would think the tolerances need to be measured but that's where we land now. I sent an email to Turkey and was told that it's impossible for my gun to be bad since everything is checked at the factory. Wtf! These guys think that because it left the factory it cannot be bad? I don't know where they got that. Anyhow they refuse to do anything and just direct me back to sds.
So I'm pretty much screwed.
I wish that I had never bought this Turkish turd.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow, some kind of customer service, seems like they are taking the approach since selling so many just not going to bothering to take care of you, I really hate this for you

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
And to add insult to injury, battle Hawk Armory who I bought this from, says that I'm on my own. They won't offer any help.
I've bought several firearms from them in the past but this will be the last. It's a poor business that does not take care of its customers. Highly recommend that you don't buy from Battle Hawk Armory or tisas.

grainfed

Fanatic
terdog......As mentioned earlier, I have the Tank Commander and the Raider and both are tight as hell. If you keep it, that frame to slide slop can be taken out by a decent gunsmith rather quickly IF they know what they are doing. Here's a video of Mark Novak taking the slop out of a Argentine 1911. The slop fix starts at about 16 minutes.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
My shooting buddy is one of the old school gunsmiths, revolvers, lever actions, 1911's, absolutely nothing he can't do, he's so reasonable because it's a hobby, he's retired, he could fix I'm sure, just a bad spot you've been put in but it can be fixed

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
My gunsmith does a process called the acc-u-rail.. tightens up 1911's that get fed thousands of rds. I was going to rail one of my 11911's, but decided I will never put enough rds thru a 1911 for it to need to be "tightened". His process is used for high volume , mostly competitive shooters.

here's a post from one of his customers : from a post from ar15.com

"I have several pistols with Acc-u-rails. Multiple thousands of rounds down the tubes over twenty years and still no perceptible slide-to-frame wiggle. The smoothest slide movement I've ever experienced in more than 40 years of shooting 1911s. Having said that, slide-to-frame fit is not where most of the accuracy comes from. Barrel fit is the key to accuracy.
Peening and squeezing slides and frames worked back in the day when there wasn't any commonly available alternative. These days welding and recutting the frame rails is common and provides a longer lasting fit than peening and welding.
  • If money is no object, contact Doug Jones to get the Acc-u-rails installed.
  • Welding and recutting the rails will be a little less expensive.
  • If you're not a master class competition bullseye shooter, you may not find much benefit with either option. Instead, you may consider enlisting the aid of a real 1911 'smith to hard fit a Kart barrel rather than fool around with slide-to-frame fit

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys for all the help and advice.

Heres an update.

I finally got it to the range and shot 200 rnds of weak (1059 fps) 180 grn through it. Accuracy was OK, but it feel that the rear sight needs a bit of drift.
Heres a pic of the target shooting at 15 yrds

Attachments

• YUKON 1ST SHOT TARGET 15 YRDS.jpg
    YUKON 1ST SHOT TARGET 15 YRDS.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts