Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I had 1 FTF. I can easily accept that the "basic" ammo that I was shooting may have had an impact on the FTF and the accuracy.

When assembling after cleaning, I noticed that the barrel lock up was bad. Heres a vid link.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
The barrel slop was enough for me to start the process of sending it back to SDS. Im just waiting for a RMA and shipping label.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The barrel slop was enough for me to start the process of sending it back to SDS. Im just waiting for a RMA and shipping label.
I picked mine up last Saturday. Looks great! Very tight cleaned and lubed it and as soon as our weather gets better I'll try it out. I got the Tank Commander. If it shoots as good as it looks I will have an absolute jewel.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
That's not terrible by any means especially group in the middle, shooting off hand at 15 yards if I have fist size group I'm happy, oh and 1059 fps not that weak lol!

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
That's not terrible by any means especially group in the middle, shooting off hand at 15 yards if I have fist size group I'm happy, oh and 1059 fps not that weak lol!
It was OK. That was shooting LAX ammo, which ain't that good IMHO. I had some that was perfect for break in. Most of my preferred range ammo is 1130 (S&B), 1230 (Magtech) or Fiochi (1260). 10mm was meant by the Great Col. cooper to have some spice.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
No secret, I think these guys have the best for the money, 1911's out there right now. Many, many hundreds of rounds thru my Sting Ray, and great, so far. Took delivery of another yesterday, a full size;
tore that thing down, and inspected by gunsmith, NO mim parts, very good fit and finish, no slop of any kind. It was raining, so didn't shoot it, yet.
Compared it side by side with a 1943 Remington Rand, it's a match, with a few improvements.
Looking at the latest prices for the new Springers from SHOT, all just South of $2,000, all I can say is they won't be seeing any more of my money. I'm a convert. Wilson, Colt, Remington, Ruger, Kimbers, all back in the safe, where they're sure to feel neglected.

grainfed

Fanatic
Couldn't agree more with Mike. When I saw Hilton Yam's review of the new SA TRP's, I closed the book on SA. For $2,000 list, you get a bunch of MIM parts and a plastic trigger shoe. ............I'm off to shoot my Tisas Raider and Tank Commander which didn't come with MIM crap.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Noticed how the price has jumped lately, but knew it would, as they caught on!

Pistols by GIRSAN are also great and a bargain!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Noticed how the price has jumped lately, but knew it would, as they caught on!

Pistols by GIRSAN are also great and a bargain!
I shot my Tess's tank commander Friday. Temp at the range 38 degrees. I shot it at 50'. To say the least I was impressed! Very smooth shot very well, and made me look like I knew what I was doing. . Definitely a great investment.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Couldn't agree more with Mike. When I saw Hilton Yam's review of the new SA TRP's, I closed the book on SA. For $2,000 list, you get a bunch of MIM parts and a plastic trigger shoe.
There's more to consider with Springfield. The customer service is world's better than SDS.

I have a 6" 10MM TRP. They haven't made these for a few yrs. I noticed that the night sights stopped working. 1 phone call to Springfield and they sent a pre paid label. They replaced them free and include a 12 yr warranty on the replacements.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree, they probably do have a better customer service dept., but then, it sorta becomes a matter of $1,500 in pre-paid insurance, that I hope I would never need.
I don't see Tisas running anyone out of the market, but for a shooter/carry gun I think it's way up there. Not better, but generally as good as, the big dollar ones. As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather have a $500 gun sitting in a police evidence room for a couple of years, instead of my Wilson, in the event the gun needs to be used.
Yesterday, I won a Sig STX 1911. Very nice looking, full size. I'll take it to the range, run the first 300-500 rounds through it, clean it, and then relegate it to the safe with the other "good stuff"
All the while, this cheap Stingray will stay on my belt.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I get the cost vs quality argument.

The Tisas isn't that much less than a Ronin for example.
Also, Tisas is trying to get a foothold in the market. Having customer service that's less than good would seem to be contrary to that goal.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Got a email today. Apparently SDS is returning the pistol to me.
No email or phone call telling me what's going on.
Hopefully they'll have a note explaining what they did.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Got a email today. Apparently SDS is returning the pistol to me.
No email or phone call telling me what's going on.
Hopefully they'll have a note explaining what they did.
I hope everything turns out well for you. I may try to get to the range with mine again soon.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
So, SDS ended up replacing both the barrel and the slide. This slide fits the frame acceptably.

Now, I need to find some good sights for it. It's a dovetail.
Here's where I need some help. Are all 1911 dovetail sights the same size?

Latest posts