Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
Being an insomniac of curious nature, here is some info from Classic. Reviews and all. I'd still feel a bit safer with the track record of RIA, but good edification at any rate.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Bummer! This product is out of stock.

This pistol has the look & all but one thing it needs to work for me, it needs a long trigger it has a wide spur hammer & Flat MSH ;)

I like Turkey with Taters & Gravy so maybe a Turkish 1911 with Bullets. :confused: Let me know when we have a range report.

kamml

Fanatic
I have owned a couple of Tisas and one Rock. The Rock has a cast frame, Tisas is forged. The Rock has a better plastic box, the Tisas just cardboard. The last Tisas came with a disassembly tool and cleaning rod. Plus Tisas has a Novak style rear sight and front sight with three dots. The Rock just a plain black Novak style rear and no dots. Rock has a good trigger pull, smooth too. The Tisas is a little gravelly but style light for a 1911. The Tisas is imported into Knoxville, another plus for me.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
If TISAS uses the NOVAK Sight Specs and have a Forged frame and slide that would be a big plus to me, over an RIA.

I've had 2 RIA's and I won't buy another...

I would try a Tisas, if I found a good price on one.

There are Blueprints and specs for the 1911, going back a hundred years, as it WAS a Military weapon, yet...

These Makers, want to screw with perfection, it seems, and go off the specs???

kamml

Fanatic
One of my Tisas was SS. The finish was very good. No visible machining marks and a soft lustre. The Rock has no visible machining mark and its a dull phosphate style finish. The grips on both Tisas were checkered plastic, the Rock plain wood with sort of an oil finish. Both of these brands are good 1911 entry guns. All of mine shot well, 10 ring on an FBI style target off hand at 25 yards. The Rock has a full length recoil spring/rod, the Tisas had a standard length (short) recoil spring/rod. No excessive slide play with either brand. But my experience is no guarantee you will have the same experience.

1Sgt_Jerry

Well-Known Fanatic
I respect everyone's opinions. I get the lust for a forged frame and maybe the frame would be good to build on. As to RIA, or any other mass produced gun, someone's gonna get a klunker. I'm holding ground in the RIA I've known too many people personally first hand who bought them, shot theirs and have seen countless reviews. I would never wish a bad experience on any one. I'm also sure a good one can be had from Turkey.
Just an unsolicited opinion from a new guy who doesn't own an Ed brown, night hawk, Wilson or such

kamml

Fanatic
I have a Rock at home right now. They are fine weapons. Its been my tinker around with gun. And I have been having fun with it. The Brown sear and trigger kit is not working out well. There must be enough of a change in geometry that the new sear can't get a solid hold on the hammer. It has not passed my QC/Safety testing. I have a Cylinder and Slide kit to try next.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Rock at home right now. They are fine weapons. Its been my tinker around with gun. And I have been having fun with it. The Brown sear and trigger kit is not working out well. There must be enough of a change in geometry that the new sear can't get a solid hold on the hammer. It has not passed my QC/Safety testing. I have a Cylinder and Slide kit to try next.
Hi,
That is my problem with them.

Not hard to follow Blueprints, but they want to reinvent the wheel and better parts for them are a challenge or waste of money???

The parts you are buying is to spec...

The RIA...Not so much!

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 25

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Hi,
That is my problem with them.

Not hard to follow Blueprints, but they want to reinvent the wheel and better parts for them are a challenge or waste of money???

The parts you are buying is to spec...

The RIA...Not so much!

John Moses Browning was & Genius & like many of his creations the 1911 is a one of a kind designed pistol.
All my Colts are great builds that are reliable. Except for a few Colt or military parts like
wide spur hammers, flat MSHs, then Harrison Long smooth triggers & some SS FLGRs all are stock Colts.

From 1917 to 2011 all my pistols parts will fit each gun with minor fitting perhaps, & work well with all the
Colt or Military parts I set back for repair or modification. I feel like JMB made the 1911 just
for me, & that's why I replace all the short triggers, & Arched MSHs with proper 1911 parts , I also like the wide spur hammer. , Just my .02 ;)

I paid $210.00 for my 1917 & $700.00 for the new 2011 1911, then $1000.00 for that brand new 1979 MKIV Series 70 1911.
I recon you pay for what you want, & that's about it when it comes to the 1911s you really want.

I love Colt 1911s no matter if Military or Civilian, they just seem to fit me real well & my budget.
What was it they said about those who Copy a Genius & his designs? :D

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
The new thing, it seems, with the Tupperware Pistols is the ability to change the backstrap size to make it fit different hand sizes, but...

JMB was ahead of them even in that.

If the 1911 feels to big, go to a flat MSH a "slim" ,pair of grips and, a short trigger...

To small, go to a long trigger, arched MSH, and regular grips...

Little things ,do make a difference!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
RIA for 600-650 or at least used to be, haven't checked lately but fiber optic sights, magwell, G10 grips, skeletonized trigger and hammer, couple hundred less for GI model, not a bad choice, I had a Tisas stainless, it shot fine, my two boys have metro arms in 9mm and 45, those are doing well so far also

Latest posts