Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

dhawk46

Active Fanatic
Especially if the purpose of a particular pistol is a fighting tool, best to trust any reliability issues to a professional gunsmith, then take the piece out and function test it yourself before it is put back into service.

DVC

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, the E series S&W 1911 does have that weird external extractor.. so the slide must be cut a little different.
This means parts "interchangeability" with other 1911's (using JB's internal extractor ) will be limited to frame parts.
Don't know, if the other internal slide parts are different.
I've got a Sig Sauer GSR Revolution 1911 that has an external extractor too ( not as large as the one on S&W's E series )
It's not that the external extractor won't work as well as , or maybe better than the internal extractor..it's just different than most other 1911's.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, the E series S&W 1911 does have that weird external extractor.. so the slide must be cut a little different.
This means parts "interchangeability" with other 1911's (using JB's internal extractor ) will be limited to frame parts.
I've got a Sig Sauer GSR Revolution 1911 that has an external extractor too ( not as large as the one on S&W's E series )
It's not that the external extractor won't work as well as , or maybe better than the internal extractor..it's just different than most other 1911's.
I'm not too familiar with the GSR revolution series. Do you know if it's like the C3? To answer your question on the external ejector on the S&W. It's different than other external extractors.
I was told S&W shared this design with a few of their other pistols. I would have to check my library to see which ones. But some springs and a few other. Parts can be shared.

Last edited:

ddown

Fanatic
Unless you are needing to replace a part (maybe a trigger, mainspring
?), no need to go past basic field strip, lubricate and reassemble.

DVC
I have a full set of Wilson Combat Springs coming wanted to see if I was up to the Challenge of doing it myself watched a couple step by step Videos accomplished in 30 Minutes got a good cleaning and Figured out it's not Rocket Science just a wonderful design.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Brown suppose to have a good trigger kit to take care of creep issues that the S&W usually has.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a full set of Wilson Combat Springs coming wanted to see if I was up to the Challenge of doing it myself watched a couple step by step Videos accomplished in 30 Minutes got a good cleaning and Figured out it's not Rocket Science just a wonderful design.
One thing I learned with that Rock Island. You cannot mix parts. I had to change all the interior parts to mil-spec. When I mixed and matched it did not work.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
The Sig Sauer GSR Revolution 1911 I own must be an older version, as it doesn't have a rail...I bought it used in Feb. 2011, but it's still in as new condition.
Looks similar to the one in this link:
mine's not a Target model.. it has a fixed rear sight. The bump on the grip safety is different, as is the trigger.
Front strap does have the same nice checkering.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
The Sig Sauer GSR Revolution 1911 I own must be an older version, as it doesn't have a rail...I bought it used in Feb. 2011, but it's still in as new condition.
Looks similar to the one in this link:
mine's not a Target model.. it has a fixed rear sight. The bump on the grip safety is different, as is the trigger.
Front strap does have the same nice checkering.

I have simple taste...I like the one in the picture...basic GI model...

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
Hilton Yam of 10-8 fame gives very good feedback on the Smith E series and it's beefy external extractor. With the E series having no FPS and an endorsement from Hilton I would call the Smith good to go.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
The S&W 1911's are some of the most under rated Pistols out there!

So are the Tisa's and Girsans, but that will change as people find out more about them.

The Tisas gives you a forged frame. slide, and CHF barrel.

Few American made or Filipino made pistols have that.

They ALL have MIM internals but seems to be good MIM!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Should have added this thought..some may already do this..but if you do not, I'd suggest you do.
That is, take photos of the firearms you own !

Save the photos on a memory stick / & on a computer.

if there's ever an incident of a stolen / lost /missing firearm, you'll have a picture of it.
I try to include the serial # in the pic..to show it is mine. Reason ? Insurance verification, in case of a claim ,
and it may assist Police in finding /tracking / returning (heaven-forbid) a stolen weapon.

Never could figure out why some block the serial # in pics..the pistol was sold to / is registered to me, no one can say...".hey, that is mine! "

I save firearms purchase receipts too, .. when purchased from an individual, ( I make a hand written receipt) as well as box store or online purchases.
I keep a notebook with my purchases, sales receipts stapled to separate pages, a page for each weapon.
I also record accessories added ( scopes / mounts/ grips/ gunsmith services done.. etc...( again, save receipts)

This makes it much easier if / when you may decide you want to sell a gun..to recall what's been added / spent on it

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
The S&W 1911's are some of the most under rated Pistols out there!

So are the Tisa's and Girsans, but that will change as people find out more about them.

The Tisas gives you a forged frame. slide, and CHF barrel.

Few American made or Filipino made pistols have that.

They ALL have MIM internals but seems to be good MIM!
I will most like regret asking this but what is MIM?

Latest posts