For anyone thinking of getting into reloading...

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
If anyone close has any interest to shoot with us Sat be my guest (east of Dallas) if not a rain out again.

Captiva

Fanatic
I have been thinking about getting into reloading since about 1989. One can use a spreadsheet and eventually come up with a cost savings argument. It's a little bit easier than figuring out how to make a airline/hotel/retail loyalty rewards program actually benefit you.

I think the cost savings analysis should be the last argument when factoring in your time, the one thing you cannot save or buy.

Personally for the past 30+ years I have yet to rue the time when I haven't opened up the in-house ammunition production line. Yes there were some times when .22 was really really scarce and expensive, or .45ACP was getting close to a buck a round, but if you stay somewhat stockpiled these periods can be survived. This worked for me so far, but I don't shoot 500 rounds after dinner every night like some of the fortunate folks here,

The therapeutic benefits of actually creating a truly enjoyable object should be touted overall.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
At today's match I got a nice surprise of a gallon bucket full of once fired 45 Win brass others had been saving for me, I am amazed how many that like to shoot do not reload, it used not to be that way at all, more free brass, same for casting metal = $2/50 ct box ammo easily. Loved match shooting my new 9mm 8" AR it worked flawless. Back next month to handguns then April to AR or 2 gun. Had best time in a long time today shooting. Cool , clear and all worked as it should.

I wish I could shoot 500 rounds every night! We easily do it weekly between my friend and I with some much more.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Nobody loading anything? I have not in a week or more just need to shoot more of it, no new loaders presses or members? Did get to shoot a match Saturday though.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Long range forecast is showing rain turning to snow on our next match day it will change I know, but was sure not what I was wanting to see so if so another loading day coming up for sure or help a friend finish his new shorty AR 300 BO then load some. Hate this weather now!

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
What yall going to be loading? More 9mm here this run here the new AR has a very healthy eating habit.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
41C we still have standing water here and shooting/loading buddy is sick with the crud so that slows down some things, then the long-range forecast seen of snow on match day just made all worse, maybe a rubber boot heavy jacket walk in the woods today with my 8" AR 9mm that thing is addicting bad.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My shepherd did not even want to go out in this rain today so I did a short walk and found myself attacked by a floating large can, the AR successfully defended me well! 2 double taps 4 holes later it went from sight, will retrieve it when muddy water goes down, I was amazed how easy the 9mm 8" AR carries.

SoCal1911

Fanatic
I get satisfaction, when I work up a load that is better then the known commercial best load, that have you have found as a base line. Even if on the trail to the magic, and may take awhile. Like my 45 ACP 200gr SWC load is pretty dam good for targets and accurate too for my use. I enjoy reloading, almost as much as shooting, almost.. But I do enjoy making something that I can tailor to my gear, rifle and pistol I strive for safe, reliable, accuracy.Not cheap all of the time, I always prefer better (over just plinking). The better the components equals more $. Over my years of reloading, my costs that were saved, have already paid off my equipment, many a fold. When you find that load you shop around for your components, find other shooters and ask you will find the best deals. At the range, look for the guy shagging his brass. Most will be very helpful, but always find out with checking known good manuals. My father in law shagged his brass and always loaded his too hot for my tastes, and I have some of his toys and the load data he used and his documentation, which I would not use it. Confirm any supplied information supplied.

If you think that is worth the time and $, maybe it could be for you.
Do you have any reloading clubs near you? Do you know anyone that reloads and give a hands on demo?

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Good truthful previous post there speaking about hot loads look over the years back at older books just how much milder they are now as a start. The Speer with the stagecoach cover was I think the last hot one for them maybe #7-8?

Last edited:

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
To the OP, get reloading ASAP!
A lot of advantages, not only cost wise but being able to tailor your loads to what you want.
Used to shoot 44Mag when I was young and got tired of the heavy blast of factory loads...
Reloading my own solved that and increased my enjoyment of shooting.
An RCBS JR Press can be bought cheap and is a good way to learn.
Use a loading block and do it one step at the time, follow your manuals and you will be fine!
Then you will want to cast your own!
It is a slippery slope but a lot of fun!IMG_0157.JPGrr1.jpgggggg.jpg

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes sir on the cast bullets!
3 customers came in today while we were buying primers and cleaned out the store on pistol primers! We got our 10000 before they arrived. The panic buying has seemingly started. They came to $29+ total out the door.
Store had 2 new in box Dillion 650's and 3 750's

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The OP can get his costs down by finding local places to buy components and buy in-bulk. 45ACP, 230gr lead projectiles cost me $13 a hundred, which lets me shoot every week.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Confirmed here Thursday wet forecast so a loading day goal is 500 box of 124's 9mm in truck to load 4.2 Gr WST if arm still working some 124 plated also. Glock ammo there.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Well today's totals 500 45 200 gr swc with Clays and 700 9mm 124s' rn with WST was very pleased with production today, now looking at 7-10 days of rain darn it.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just saw an email from Natchez Supply several kinds of #8 kegs of powder at $104 We got 16 lbs also primers in the $20's..

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Withdrawals here from no match Sat and need boat to get to range, maybe a clean guns day?

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just saw mentioned and checked 5.56/223 close to $1 a shot & 9mm ball over .50 and they had plenty, our shortage here has way passed the obamma mess by far, loading just overnight turned into a must now for those who like to shoot a lot and just maybe waited to long to decide, I even saw training course fees for cash or 9mm factory ammo! I even had 2 calls from friends of club members asking if I had any ammo or handguns to sell, NOPE. Well supplied here thankfully even with the 16 lb of powder and 2 cases of primers to be delivered Monday added to supply. Also looking like late week we may get a range day in also per weather man, we are past the need to shoot some with all our mud and standing water. I lived and learned before on all this not happening here again if I can prevent it. An example of how a friend said it "I thought way to long for my own good".
Been there done that!

Last edited:

Latest posts