For anyone thinking of getting into reloading...

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Just getting started myself. Taken me a while (quite a while) to get running but 9mm is rocking. Setting up for .45 acp next. Have all of the stuff. Was a but costly upfront but I just want to shoot more so this seems like a good way to do so. Here's my set up in the spare bedroom. Dillon xl 750.View attachment 5674View attachment 5675

Nice set up!

You won't save money - You just get to shoot more often...o_O

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice to see a new reloader starting right from beginning you sure will not be sorry, once you find a good load stick with it, nobody does but try! I am not to guilty there. Just some. Be sure and get a case gage to check your loaded ammo..

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Butch I like this thread of yours and read it daily, your cost for store bought bullets is over double what we pay here, so cut back 50%+ there your brass should be free or close to it another savings for sure. One more thing if your shooting paper your ball load data is way more that you would ever need, just an observation here. All sure will get your cost waaaay down on ammo. $2 a box 45 is very easy done if you really wish to. Easy .03 primers but you can do better in bulk. Also buy powder in #8's and split with other shooters.
American Reloading is also a source for jacketed bullets if you want them, get on their email specials list. Free shipping.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
nice thread Butch .

seriously thought about reloading due to my hand issues. many fellow shooters expressed their joy in reloading custom 45 and 9mm rounds. almost ordered the equipment and supplies BUT I did some calculations and including buying new brass my round price was over 30 cents per(for 45 acp)round and the fact that factory loaded ammo (185 and 230 gr) is below 30 cents a round. I decided to stick with factory ammo for now.

If the dems ever get around to banning factory ammo or doing what they did in Komifornia..then maybe I will change my mind.

good luck in your endeavour

I just cant honestly believe in brass being hard to get, I have never bought 1 45 case in my life! Hope you do get into loading...

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Same here 41C I do not go to public ranges but those I did in my past were the same way, with brass I just have to watch for the small primers, I remember well when the 45's were the most shot here in matches before the 9's took over and brass everywhere to be picked up. Then we did not have the nut rollers as we do now, our club's matches have a lost brass till it is over but not for 45 shooters with a nut roller. I recently went back to my 1911's and instantly noticed my points down reduced 2/3! Still old eyes and slower reflexes but love doing it till I cant!

Also some ranges will sell you brass if you ask them, you sort it, many ways to acquire it also some scrap metal dealers used to have it at about .01 each.

When I 1st started shooting in matches 38's were easy to get, then the 45 and now all the 9 you would ever want.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Well it seems like waking up the dead here today! So do we have any new reloaders yet?

dakota1911

Well-Known Fanatic
It does let one create rounds one can not buy. Below in 45ACP with our good old 230gr FMJ on the left.

Now in the calculation is ones time counted at say even minimum wage in the costs? Right now in handgun land I only reload 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 357 Mag, 10mm, and 38 Super. In the future if the price goes up on 9mm I have buckets brass along with many buckets of 45 ACP brass. Also I no longer cast bullets these days.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Let us not ever forget the Obama years ammunition drought. Cost is not the only reason.
Amen!!! Anyone remember gun shows right after Obama got elected? OMG... Seriously... Nov 2008 (shortly after the elections were over -- and he won! o_O ) Lord Almighty, my bro-in-law and I *tried* to go to a gun show, but the line went out the building, down the parking lot, doubled back around, and up into another parking lot lane!! Word has it, back then, they exceeded the building capacity, so they had cops at the door, managing it, counting people leaving, allowing that particular number to enter... We couldn't believe it and all we could do is turn around and go back home! :oops:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Going to choose a day next week prefer a bad weather day and load 1000, 500 each 9mm 45 then head to Freddie's Burgers and have a great meal, or possibly hit Canes Chicken

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We shot yesterday and noticed all the brass on the ground 2 of us picked up almost half of a 5 gal bucket! 9mm and 45, a loading day next week coming for sure as I got a new carbine as a gift and all finally done (8" 9m/m), my thoughts are loading 1000 9's and quitting and go eat. With many off for Christmas and NY there will be many more going to shoot and tons of brass for the pickins! Plus our match Sat which I cant wait to go to. We probably left 1000 9mm as we were tired of picking up (we use nut rollers). Also we were hungry! We will with the weather estimate 22 shooters Saturday with weather and holidays we never know really times 150 rounds over 3000 rounds on the ground, I thought about shooting the carbine class but after yesterday will shoot a handgun with my broken shoulder, not the recoil but just weight and I love shooting handguns. We will start about 0900 and plan on eating before 1300 all cleaned up and gone to truck stop. Older age, slow reflexes and old eyes come into play but no one enjoys it any more than I do after all these years shooting matches the next one is what I wait for. I had my day.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Watching paint dry here...….. We shot again today...….Lots of brass on the ground when we arrived also. 150 round match tomorrow a reloader's paradise if not to wet.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Match today 3300+ on the ground only 4 of us split it, rest just left it, all I looked at was once fired, more came than estimated, with what was already there we probably left 1000 9mm at least, another loading day coming after Christmas for sure. 9 and 45.

UDot

Fanatic
I enjoy reloading ammo almost as much as shooting. Certainly more than watching today's TV shows.

Don't forget that reloading allows you to tailor your ammo for any purpose. Whether it's downloading a tad to be easier on your hands, or creating a load that just isn't available commercially.

For steel matches, for example, I use a 7-lb spring in my 38 Super, then load ammo just hot enough to cycle and toss the empties about three feet. This gives 22LR-like recoil, allowing much faster shooting.

For 44 mag and 357 mag, I load about 3/4 the power of true magnums. Much hotter than you'd shoot in a gun that's not chambered for a magnum, but giving you a good grin without beating you up.

The money you save would eventually pay for the equipment, but you'll spend that savings shooting more. It's good to try it if you can. You may get hooked, or decide it's not your thing.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Gotta give a shout out to Dillon Precision . I recently purchased a pre owned XL 650 . It was set up for 3006 , but I intended to use it for 45 acp . Shell plate is same , nothing else is . The correct powder bar came with it also . Called up Dillon tech , they sent me the rest of what I needed for conversion to 45 acp , gave some helpful advice , and now this thing runs smooth as glass . Wish I'd have gone this route years ago . They're a great company that stands behind their product , no matter who owns it .

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes Mike you learned, start right and never look back! I am thinking of another shooting or reloading day tomorrow of so just 9mm, that 8" carbine is addictive to shoot, my Christmas present to me.
I have always enjoyed reloading almost as much as shooting. Casting also. Once started it is hard to stop though, looking to load 1000. Cast for the carbine plated for my Glocks.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I loaded on a single stage for along time until all I was doing was loading 45's and not shooting much that had to change so I got a new Star machine and wow what a difference, it is still my favorite to load on, it loads mostly all pistol, Dillon put Star out of business.

Latest posts