For anyone thinking of getting into reloading...

Jrabbit82

Fanatic
Disagree on waiting, prices will only increase not go down get items as you can Dillion can be months out on new loader shipping get it on order then it is done and over with.
Gotcha. I can start buying and picking away at it as I can and as things become available

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with the idea of "buy what you can, while you can"..
I'd look for a single stage to get started. Easier to catch mistakes you'll make ,as you learn the process & develop necessary skill & safety procedures.
I would be looking for used equipment, if new to hand loading, as the savings on tools can be considerable.
Have to look & ask around. ..garage sales, estate sales, even Craigslist. Many try it as a hobby & give up,
and old timers pass away with no one remaining that wants their equipment.

Once someone goes thru a shortage of ammo or components, they SHOULD never have to go thru it again. Learn from the experience.
I've encouraged every new shooter I've met to start loading their own. Most don't, or express interest, but put it off.
I also encouraged friends that shoot to stock up on ammo, when I found sales, I'd forward the ad to them. Again they were ignored.
Then I have to listen to them complain, or ask me to sell them my ammo, or hand loads.

I learned my lesson back in the Clinton era..(maybe earlier).. I load and shoot as much as I want, because I had learned to stockpile components.
I did sell a bunch of factory ammo I had bought over he years..paid for my Bayou bullet orders, have plenty of powder & primers.
Been tempted to sell some primers, but unsure how long the scarcity will last, as well as the price increases. Primers will never be
the price I paid on my last bulk purchase..(around $30/1K,.. if memory's correct. Also sold some die sets I had replaced with other brands.
If you've got extra , unused reloading equipment, now's a good time to put it up for sale.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
If I remember this topic was started by a person considering reloading and seemingly after being given advice did nothing I think not positive there at the time of the topic he sure could have done it easily, I totally recommend getting a single stage AND A progressive both then your done RCBS single and a Dillion Progressive, do so and your fixed up for life, we use 2 650 Dillions and a Star with several more also, find a reloader friend to help you hands on is the best way to start, ask for help you will get it, matches are an excellent place to start looking for help. We told him not to wait and if did paid the price for it. I do not remember a posting from him advising he bought supplies, I know of no serious shooters that do not load here, also we cast bullets and that is an excellent trading thing to other loaders for components, maybe the best.
I just looked back to the topic start it was in 2019 so easily could have obtained everything to start if was really serious about it.

Reactions: Dub

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I've seen plenty of components , except primers , which makes everything go bang . I'd still keep my eyes open and ear to the ground . Pick up what you can , when you can .

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Since I recently read that Remington ammo ( now, part of the Vista Outddors family) is now, again making ammo.
Perhaps they will also bring some primers to the market as well.

RickOShay

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree on not waiting for a number of reasons. Firstly, I agree prices will probably go higher, it might be more difficult to find certain components. I also believe people have a tendency to talk themselves out of something over time and if there's anyone who could benefit from the distraction, I think you'd enjoy it. I don't (yet) have a Dillon, but I've heard they're pretty good at answering questions. Good luck!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, Dillon is excellent @ responding to ? or problems on their help line, and customer service, for needed parts or repair is excellent as well.
Dillon prices have risen so much in recent years, I find it hard to recommend their products. I've owned a Dillon since mid-late 70's ( a 450 B )
and it has proven it's worth. Even knowing that, I'd find it hard to cough up the current price for a new machine. A single stage machine,
of any brand will do the same job. I'm way past trying to load ammo as fast as possible, rather concentrate on consistency and quality of my loads.

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
Costs for me is not the primary benifit to reloading ..

If you would like to see a genuine shrinking of your groups..across the board improvements in your marksmenship.

Learn to reload..

Learn to do it properly.. Don't max stuff out thats how things break and people get hurt. Keep detailed and accurate records of what you are doing powder. primer. bullet weight, number of times cases have been fired (If you know) on the boxes as you make them and in your Shooters Notebook.

How do your learn? Start with some book knowledge on the basics plenty of books on reloading ..

Below link is simple and to the point.

Under Supervision, I was casting lead bullets when I was 12 and loading on my own before I was 15 , So how do you find someone to teach you at an older age..

Best guess... I would join a reputable gun club (there are a lot of good reasons to do so) and just hang out for while.. Eyes and ears open.. There are a lot of types there and you will have to ferret out the clear eyed sober fellas of a serious mind if you really want to learn properly.. Then find one that is willing to take the time to teach..The basics are simple.. straight forward but there are lots of subtleties to the craft..part of the fun is discovering some of your own secrets once you have the basics down pat. (I just cannot get that crimp right). Cream of Wheat? No I am not hungry...What? Where? (Smile.. Big Bore).

You have a Shooters Notebook right?. If not start one now.. Write in it the weather, wind, cloudy, temp .. how you feel.. what you last ate.. Coffee? did you sleep well? All that affects your shooting as well. How your day went at the end of shooting. This is a part of the process..

Consistancy, replicability these are among the "Shooter's Secrets" They are among the benifis of reloading when done properly.

Start shooting precision loaded ammo... see what happens.. If you are consistantly doing your part in the weapons handling department. You will shake your head and say...."Holy Cow!!!" Wish I knew this long ago.

When you reload.. No distractions.. No TV, No Talk Shows.. No Chit Chat...No "Beer" and or Nachos..

Be fed a while back, wll rested in a good physical and mental state and stop loading long before you get tired or distracted. 45min is probably good .. Set up time , Loading , Clean up... This is a serious discipline and you need to treat it as such.

When and where ever it comes up say this to others up front...

" I do not shoot other people's reloads I am not offended that they do not shoot mine" I do not provide my reloads to others for the sake of liability"

Just get it out there up front before it comes up...... Saying you are not offended that they do not shoot yours is really just to soften the statement make it non confrontational it helps..

Shoot only the stuff you personally reload.. Weapons are costly..Injuries terrible or worse... You cannot control the safety and condition of other people's weapons (Some could be ready to dissasemble with the next factory round fired) So do not provide others with any of your own reloads under any circumstances..

Exceptions make the rule and if in 4-5 years you find yourself with a buddy or two and a row of Dillion Progressives loading a couple thousand rounds for the weekend festivities for the 100th time.. With the fellows you have known and shoot with for the same amount of time or longer.. When you get there make your own call.. even then think long and hard about it. Still do your part to keep your reloads within the circle of those makeing them.

For now and the next few years... Stick to the rule..it's a good one. Learn the craft yourself.. and don't provide people with "a few of your reloads" . There is no upside and the downsides are real..

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
It was worth every penny I spent for the equipment to get started 10 years ago. My only metallic reloading is handgun, tho I do have 223 dies. I'm still working off pre-Brandon components and loading 9mm competition ammo for 10.5 cents each using premium powder (N-320) and range brass. 60-70K rounds later, I'd say the equipment is all paid for, (actually only took 2 years) and I still have about 1000 9 loaded and same with .45. I've got enough components for about 6K more 9 then things will get more expensive.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've caused some hurt feelings by saying, " I can't sell you my reloaded ammo'" for the same reasons.
If they don't like it..it's their problem. Next time, stock up on ammo when you see it on sale,
or preferably, get the equipment & learn to load your own.
1st..= it's illegal. 2nd.= the whole liability issue.

I have allowed others to shoot my hand loads.... only while I am present with them while shooting.
Usually, they're fired from my gun. Most often, to show friends that hand loads CAN be more accurate than factory loads.

I learned that loading fast isn't conducive to accuracy. I rarely load more than 100 rifle rds, or 200 pistol rds. at one sitting..
After 45+ yrs. of loading I've made mistakes, and learned steps to avoid repeating them. I believe I'm more careful, check more often, than years past.
I believe my patience taken while assembling rds. has resulted in greater accuracy in my loads. Time to get back to the bench..
today, it's 147gr. 9mm loads.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I had the same thing here with my refusal to sell ammo we loaded we told them what was coming and we acted on it they did not, their loss not mine.

Latest posts