For anyone thinking of getting into reloading...

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Exactly, the run on components is here big time at retail outlets, a very good investment would be to get a case of primers and at least 4-5# of powder or all primers. If you wake up a November morning after the election and Trump loses you have waited to long, for the average shooter it probably will not make any difference but those who like to shoot its over! Right now you cant locally to me go buy a box of 9mm or 45, I personally have seen 9mm at $30 a box for ball without gun rental, why wait until it is to late to do anything about it?
Nothing will teach a person on reloading as well as a friend that does reload, learn from hands on, wish Butch you were closer to me I sure would help you from a lifetime of experience here. Open offer there.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Waiting until the price goes that high you waited way to long...……...So cutting your price 50% make any difference at $50/box just how much would you shoot? Myself other than personal protection about zero shooting! We try to shoot 500 a week my friend and self total ammo, with a loading day at least every other week.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My son recently bought a S&W 9mm he went to the range with me, shot 100 rounds and spent $30+ on ammo. I shot close to 250 rounds and cost me under $15 easily. I asked him want to come back tomorrow if it don't rain? Dad cant afford to, no ammo, no work = no extra money. Then out of the blue "When can I come over and reload this brass?" Did not take him very long there. I did give him 2 boxes of ammo.

Last edited:

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
If anyone (like me) is thinking of getting into reloading, considering the pros and cons, debating over the cost savings, or Lord knows what, I created a Screen Print image from one of those online calculators. Then I brought it up in Photoshop and used the text editor mode and wrote notes all over it. I hope you can understand it.

I am using my classic 1911 .45 ACP for an example. IF I did decide to get into reloading, I would start with the historic .45 ACP round that everybody's grandpa has shot, using a 230gr bullet and 5 grains of Bullseye powder. From what I've read, that is the original, famous, GI load, used for decades.

But first off... Click here for the online calculator link: http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Or, try another one to verify the mathematical formulas (they are all 100% spot on): https://x-reload.com/load-cost

There was even a guy on the internet (I forget where or what forum - sorry) who must have gotten with some finance guys and I.T. guys and created a wicked looking, color coded, Excel spreadsheet. Everything broken down to the tiniest, minute, detail --- just like those online calculators. From I remember he uploaded it to a Google Drive account, so people could safely and securely download it for their own use. I have the downloaded version on my laptop, and it works fantastic!

Anyway, regarding my Screen Print image below, I used a combination of MidwayUSA and MidSouthShootersSupply for reloading supplies, dies, presses, etc... So the original startup cost of everything is just a simple "ballpark figure". Simply put - I have never reloaded, have clue about it, other than reading Richard Lee's Second Edition book over and over. I've watched You Tube videos, but still, I've never done it. I would start out extremely small and simple, only reloading about 50 rounds of .45 ACP just to see if I could do it and not blow myself up (LOL... you know what I mean...)

I hope this helps you out like it did me!

aqsHMFa.jpg
As you will soon see, reloading is not all that difficult, although like anything, some guys tend to make it so. And in time, with more rounds reloaded, the cost drops to way below what mfg rounds cost. I'm now using a Dillon and actually they make it so easy anyone with no experience could pretty quickly be turning out good, reliable ammo. Big advantage is not so much cost savings but the availability of ammo during shortages.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
That's how it starts, Butch. Five Progressive Presses, and one old single stage press later, life is good. Let's just say I have an Addicts (whoops) Fanatics personality... :)
I remember years ago when I was starting in competitive shooting and sitting at my reloading bench for hours turning out .45 rounds on my Star reloader, which was state of the art back then. At one point even cast my own bullets.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I remember years ago when I was starting in competitive shooting and sitting at my reloading bench for hours turning out .45 rounds on my Star reloader, which was state of the art back then. At one point even cast my own bullets.

I have the exact same memories here and still use my original Star, we sorted brass all day today, start cleaning it tomorrow, with all the rain we have had my ammo bunker is at the best ever been, hopefully our matches will start back soon.

Last edited:

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
As you will soon see, reloading is not all that difficult, although like anything, some guys tend to make it so. And in time, with more rounds reloaded, the cost drops to way below what mfg rounds cost. I'm now using a Dillon and actually they make it so easy anyone with no experience could pretty quickly be turning out good, reliable ammo. Big advantage is not so much cost savings but the availability of ammo during shortages.

I swore I'd never go through another shortage again, after the last Primer / Powder fiasco! I try and pick up a little something every week. You would be surprised how quick your stock pile adds up. I haven't gotten into casting my own bullets yet. Perhaps this is a rabbit hole worth exploring...

John Detzel

New Fanatic
nice thread Butch .

seriously thought about reloading due to my hand issues. many fellow shooters expressed their joy in reloading custom 45 and 9mm rounds. almost ordered the equipment and supplies BUT I did some calculations and including buying new brass my round price was over 30 cents per(for 45 acp)round and the fact that factory loaded ammo (185 and 230 gr) is below 30 cents a round. I decided to stick with factory ammo for now.

If the dems ever get around to banning factory ammo or doing what they did in Komifornia..then maybe I will change my mind.

good luck in your endeavour
Don't forget your actual costs will drop considerably because you will be reusing your cases over and over (and over, and over.....) again. You can also use your factory loaded new ammo after firing to reload , again cutting costs.
Besides that its a great hobby and way to spend your time.
regards,
jd

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
99% of all the 45 we load are 200 gr SWC
After looking at the heavy 9mm groups I shot from my 8" AR I sure will go to the 150 gr +- size for all matches, the best it ever shot so far, with all the rain and not shooting as much and matches cancelled I have got more 9mm ammo than I ever have had, good feeling for sure. I enjoy the loading very much and when you find a load like I did with the heavy 9's it is great, loaded with WST.
I also used to shoot lots of bench rest rifles and avid prairie dog hunter, so come from a lifetime of loading here.. My 6mm & 22-250 Ackley are on their 3rd barrels.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Read this thread & thought..it's so unfortunate that most emphasis on hand loading is ..cheap ammo.
So much more to the hobby..Tailoring ammo to a specific firearm..loading for maximum accuracy,
making light loads, for teaching new shooters , those recoil sensitive, or having physical conditions that limit what they can shoot.
Funny, guy that taught me the basics (back in the 70's) used to load 44 Mag cases with 2.5 gr. Bullseye & 240 gr cast pills.

After one becomes familiar with the process, the real fun begins..experimenting with different bullet weights, bullet profiles,
different powders, & primers . Get a Chrono & you can look @ data to determine actual performance when fired from your firearm.
Look @ ES (extreme spread of velocities) & SD (standard deviation).. Can get quite scientific..if you desire.

It often takes either repressive legislation, (maybe the threat of) and / or an ammo shortage, for some to consider hand loading.
Many spend time, & energy (+gas expense) looking for ammo, because they want to shoot.
Usual place they buy ammo is out, or price has jumped dramatically. Then they start thinking..maybe I should get into reloading.

I avoid the term "reloading" & prefer "hand loading" as in my mind, Hand Loading requires much contemplation on what you are going to create.
The detail in which you prep brass, thought given in component selection, care in how rounds are assembled. Brass inspection, primer pocket cleaning (?,) The frequency of powder charge checks made, type & amount of crimp used, & the checking of assembled rounds, all make a difference in the ammo you create.

Reloading to some means: deprime & resize case,seat new primer, add powder, seat bullet.. & Doing these steps as quickly as possible..
"I can load 500rds/hr"... sure, you can. Emphasis on speed, over quality.

I enjoy my time spent loading ammo. Enjoy experimenting in my loading. Finding which bullet powder combination will create
the tightest groups in my firearms.

With a batch of brass, some powder, primers, & projectiles..I'll never need to search for ammo when I want to shoot.
I get to shoot as much as I want, with loads tailored for my intended purpose. This makes hand load worth while , IMO
I don't save money hand loading, I shoot a lot more than I did before I started loading my own.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Read this thread & thought..it's so unfortunate that most emphasis on hand loading is ..cheap ammo.
So much more to the hobby..Tailoring ammo to a specific firearm..loading for maximum accuracy,
making light loads, for teaching new shooters , those recoil sensitive, or having physical conditions that limit what they can shoot.
Funny, guy that taught me the basics (back in the 70's) used to load 44 Mag cases with 2.5 gr. Bullseye & 240 gr cast pills.

After one becomes familiar with the process, the real fun begins..experimenting with different bullet weights, bullet profiles,
different powders, & primers . Get a Chrono & you can look @ data to determine actual performance when fired from your firearm.
Look @ ES (extreme spread of velocities) & SD (standard deviation).. Can get quite scientific..if you desire.

It often takes either repressive legislation, (maybe the threat of) and / or an ammo shortage, for some to consider hand loading.
Many spend time, & energy (+gas expense) looking for ammo, because they want to shoot.
Usual place they buy ammo is out, or price has jumped dramatically. Then they start thinking..maybe I should get into reloading.

I avoid the term "reloading" & prefer "hand loading" as in my mind, Hand Loading requires much contemplation on what you are going to create.
The detail in which you prep brass, thought given in component selection, care in how rounds are assembled. Brass inspection, primer pocket cleaning (?,) The frequency of powder charge checks made, type & amount of crimp used, & the checking of assembled rounds, all make a difference in the ammo you create.

Reloading to some means: deprime & resize case,seat new primer, add powder, seat bullet.. & Doing these steps as quickly as possible..
"I can load 500rds/hr"... sure, you can. Emphasis on speed, over quality.

I enjoy my time spent loading ammo. Enjoy experimenting in my loading. Finding which bullet powder combination will create
the tightest groups in my firearms.

With a batch of brass, some powder, primers, & projectiles..I'll never need to search for ammo when I want to shoot.
I get to shoot as much as I want, with loads tailored for my intended purpose. This makes hand load worth while , IMO
I don't save money hand loading, I shoot a lot more than I did before I started loading my own.

Well said, Joe!

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Adding here I love to shoot a lot the only way I have been able to do this since the free ammo went away was to load, I cant buy the ammo I like to shoot
nor could afford the quantity. I like shooting H&G 68's and have many years or a close copy, my years shooting precision rifles also included as no ammo available for my tight neck chamberings or Ackley wildcats. I have met 1-2 shooters in my life that could shoot well enough with a handgun to even think of going to the trouble to clean primer pockets etc but they were issued factory match ammo so we did not reload then, rifles as said a whole different story as over half of mine are wildcat calibers. So to sum it up I enjoy loading and casting and the cost savings sure is a help allowing me to continue to shoot as I like to also with ammo to my needs.
Hope my old body gives me many more years of doing this especially after meeting someone who also enjoys shooting as much as I do and the availability to have a range so close to us or shoot at home here.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
To what degree to you loaders here prepare your brass for handgun loading, not rifle.
We tumble clean visibly look at them and let the Dillions or Star tools do their job, then ALL rounds gaged before being boxed and all looked at again all over, we don't get very many that will not pass, also powder checked several times during the process. Sometimes on 45 we use a spare barrel also to check chambering. I have learned what works and what does not. All small primer brass set aside for a quantity loading. My ammo has been checked on a Ransom Rest and a barreled action ammo tester, we shoot 10 shot groups.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
To what degree to you loaders here prepare your brass for handgun loading, not rifle.
We tumble clean visibly look at them and let the Dillions or Star tools do their job, then ALL rounds gaged before being boxed and all looked at again all over, we don't get very many that will not pass, also powder checked several times during the process. Sometimes on 45 we use a spare barrel also to check chambering. I have learned what works and what does not. All small primer brass set aside for a quantity loading. My ammo has been checked on a Ransom Rest and a barreled action ammo tester, we shoot 10 shot groups.
45 acp -Lyman turbo tumbler , inspect as I'm dropping into Dillon 650 feed tube . Check powder drop every 50 ish , it's real consistent . Check finished cartridge in case gauge . Lately I get the occasional high primer .Adjusted shell plate , still happens occasionally , not a trend , I'll be boxing or case checking and catch maybe 3-4 out of 100 . I just squeeze them in the RCBS hand primer . Revolvers I do on a Lyman Turret press or a Rock Crusher . 44 mag , 45 LC no problems . With .357 I notice more split cases , and different length cases . Length seems to fluctuate with brand . Winchester being the shortest .I made a go-no go gauge to separate .

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been reloading with a lot of really old Unique that I found stashed away, for 9 mm. Unique has so much leeway relative to minimal and maximum weights that I visually check my loads rather than check weights every 50 or hundred rounds. I do check before starting a session to make sure reloader (Dillon) is tossing out accurate loads. So far, after a few thousand, no problems.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Good advise, marinedoc! My Dillion powder drops are very consistent. However, I'm a BIG fan of the Sky Light and visually check each powder drop prior to placing a bullet on my flaired case at station #3.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Last 2 days my shooting partner and I have loaded 2000 rounds. 1500 9mm - 500 45, changing 650 9mm over this week to 300 BO just got 1500 pcs of brass made, my friends 300.

Just heard he loaded another 500 today, tomorrow we hit the range

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Butch I keep looking here hoping to read you did it and see a new Dillion 650-750 on your workbench I shall keep plugging this.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks... Aside from .45 ACP and getting into reloading, I am also considering reloading for my .308 rifle (my trusty Savage .308 that I love roaming the wooded hillsides in Virgina, chasing after Bambi..)

Latest posts