For anyone thinking of getting into reloading...

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd been reloading on a Lyman turret press for about 40 years . But , since retirement I've been shooting a lot more 45 acp . Then a great deal came up on this 650 . I'll still use the Lyman for my revolvers . Also have a RCBS Rock Crusher for rifle calibers . My basement is starting to look like an ammo factory .

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Know the feeling I have an entire room with 4 presses full of equipment, Star, 2 Dillion, RCBS & Star sizer

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
No Dillions for Christmas?
Tomorrow the 26th we either shoot, reload or window shop at gun stores. My vote is for reloading or shooting.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just looking at paint drying on here BUT I did load 800 rounds today with 3 rejected and my friend cast over 1800 9mm and 500 45 bullets and coated them, it took us about 3-3/4 hrs with breaks included. 9mm today just got tired and stopped, 45 next session, time to restock primers here very soon, especially small pistol. I should hit the range tomorrow and check for Christmas brass I bet there is lots on the ground with our nice weather. Maybe get to shoot my short carbine more also, if no range trip take German Shepherd, carbine, fishing rod and visit neighbor's stock ponds, 25 casts and no fishes then time to move to next one, tomorrow is it with rain coming they say. Great lunch for both of us in ice chest also.
That is my kind of a day there, also I love shooting 9 or 45 under $2 a box.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just re reading here and correcting my earlier post my friend cast and coated 1800 9mm & 500 45 yesterday

In the OP the costs to buy a box of 50 about $20, just got back from store $12.97 here, Blazer brass and S&B brass 230 ball.

$13 and tax for 50
Under $2 on my reloads for 50

You need to get that press!

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Primers .03 easy to find or cheaper
Powder .01 buy in 8# or cheaper even under .02 at 1 lb rip off prices
Brass free
Bullets u cast metal free

$2.00 45 acp a box 9mm not much difference, if you like to shoot as we do reloading is a must. Also very relaxing to me.

Legion489

Fanatic
New guy, first post, so take it for what it is worth....

I keep hearing how casting your own bullets saves all this money... personally I don't see it. First off is equipment; molds, sizer-luber, bullet lube, and let's not forget lead! Even if you go around and get "free" lead from tire stores (no such luck here unless you walk about the parking lot and pick up a bucket full of wheel weights laying all over, and even that involves time and gas, or the ever faithful 6 pack - or 12 pack - of beer to "pay" for your "free" lead), lead pot (electric, gas, etc.), ladle (if not bottom pour), etc.

OK, I am not anti-cast bullet, I shoot a lot of them, but how much money do you really save after gas, time, equipment, etc.? Anyone ever done a spread sheet on that? Some people (Mike Ventrino for one, but he buys his lead from the foundry so he knows what he has) likes casting bullets and if it calms your nerves and makes you happy I'm all for it! OK, yes, I got all the molds, lubes, furnaces, lead, etc. but I got no idea if it pays! Mostly I do because I can cast my own bullets and am not limited to factory bullets if/when the left gets around to banning bullets again. Lots of bullet and ammo ban bills have come down the road in the last 40 years, and lots going back to the 1920s (read your old American Rifle mags), there is nothing new under the sun, just recycled anti-gun bills introduced over and over and over.

Personally watching the pile of brass get smaller and the pile of loaded ammo makes my nerves calmer, not casting bullets, but that is me.

Yes, Bullseye was the first smokeless powder used in US military handguns ammo, and pretty much it for military handgun ammo until after WWII. OK, please note I said "first smokeless powder used in US military handguns ammo", NOT the first smokeless powder used by the military! the first cartridge loaded with smokeless powder in the US was the .30 Army/US (.30-40 Krag) in 1892, the .30-30 Win was the first commercial cartridge loaded with smokeless power in 1895. I personally favor 5.5gr W 231 (same as Hogdgon P-38 according to the Hodgdon web site, always was) or the new Win 244. Doesn't matter what you use, if it works and you are happy I'm happy for you.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We just have differing thoughts on casting, personally I enjoy it to me it allows me to shoot all I want to with what I wish to, most all high volume shooters I know cast and reload also several I know buy pulled bullets very reasonable, I paid for all my molds and equipment casting and loading for others many years ago, I loaded for several gun shops and shooters, all on Star tools.
My friend and I try to shoot 500 a week.

Last edited:

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm personally not into casting. But if it feels good, I say do it! I certainly understand the relaxation thing. My reloading, is my quality time. I can see how casting would have the same effect!

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Due to latest weather reports looks like no fishing and maybe no more shooting this week so cast and load again this week it seems, 9 & 45, due to small turn outs last 2 years and some saying they will be there and not coming our NY Eve night shoot is going to just be a memory this year, I hate that, I dearly love night shoots.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Well fishing cancelled so its shoot or load/cast or all of it! To darn windy. Wish we had another match coming soon. 2 gun, holding off shotgun with my broken shoulder for awhile

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone have any proven 45 200 gr & 9mm 124/5 gr cast loads with Red Dot? Just got a deal on a new #8 keg, primer shopping now again.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Checked yesterday in Mesquite TX you can still reload 9 & 45 easy under $2 per 50, jacketed factory ball was $18.95 per 50 with close to $15 FOR 230 lead RELOADS-45. Glad I cast and reload for sure.
Wish there was more interest here, comment more when I see it.

I did see $20/1000 CCI primers yesterday

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Paint almost dry here drying soon, wont be long, it is just hard for me to believe with the 1911 interest here and shooting them not more reloaders, I started loading 30-06. 264 Mag and 300 H&H in grade school on a RCBS junior press and Lee loader, no dad was not a reloader just me.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just about dry paint here, close to. Looking at our weather and my super busy week ahead, had to turn down 2 great fishing trips to boot I may have 1 day to ??? shoot or load/cast looks like it will be loading/casting, stocked up on primers last week plenty of powder so loading it will be if I can make it fit into schedule plus a pistol match if not to wet and a funeral also to attend, will probably load 9mm this week as I am really enjoying my new 8" AR after I finally got it, In Feb we will have a PCC class again and I wish to shoot even if they have to class me in a new 1 person class alone as it is so short, I just want to shoot is all, maybe a SBR class I don't care I just want to shoot it. Or no class as I fit there perfectly.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We got another hard rain so have mud on mud here with mud under all, brass prep and load day coming this week for sure here this week projecting at least 300+ to load. We have several 1000 bullets cast already, run a few hundred through the Star sizer, in great shape on primers and powder. Loading with WST here in 9mm 124 gr bullets.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We were discussing over supper tonight back about the Obama yrs and the ammo and other items shortage and all the I wish I had done that when I could have times. Well a possible repeat could be in our future and right now anyone could get into reloading very easily with no apparent issues of short supplied components to find, I cant say enough about this and those will put it off and get caught as so many did so, time is now my friends and shooters, just do it and you will be thankful you did if you really enjoy shooting as I do so. Make it happen as I say.
Just a investment in primers would be a very smart thing to do.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
With our forecast it is looking like another loading week with all our rain coming they show, my ammo dump is doing well with all the bad weather, just hoping Sat match will not be cancelled, if so 2 months in a row due to rain outs. It will for sure me a 9mm day for me as to all the mud and lost brass plus I wish to shoot my 8" 9mm AR for the 1st time in an event, no classification just shoot it as to short for class.

Latest posts