1911 Pros:
*Infinitely customizable
*Available for every size wallet
*Too classy for some

Glock Con:
*No class

JoeDice

Fanatic
The only way I would carry a Glock is if I added an aftermarket thumb safety that blocks the trigger . There has been way too many accidental discharges, usually resulting in injury, while re-holstering Glocks.

Rusty Guns

Active Fanatic
I bought an almost new G-22 at a pawn shop, with no box in a nylon bag. It had 5 mags, all but one looked new. I got to looking closely at the frame. It had little dents and scratches on the lower grip at the mag well. The mag had the same dents and scratches on the floor plate. I asked the owner if someone's Puppy had been chewing on it? He said yes, a lady brought it in and wanted a steel gun that her puppy wouldn't ruin. I ended up getting it very cheap for the time, and still have it. I just trimmed the sharp places off, and I had a new G-22. I still have it.

Rusty Guns

Active Fanatic
I want another Commander, but Buying any Pistols right now is on standby.
I have the money put away in my safe till the prices get back to near normal.
I have never had a LW Commander, but that is what I'm thinking about.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
If you desire to carry a truly comfortable 1911, give a lightweight a try. Slim, and light. IMHO

Rusty Guns

Active Fanatic
I like the Commanders best of all 1911s. I started as LEO with an S&W 357 mag.
A friend, a retired Texas Ranger, gave me a Commander. It was old and showed a lot of wear, but she fired every time you pulled the trigger. He told me that sometimes she didn't like HPs, but she never failed with ball.
Of all my 1911s I liked her best, and wish I had her Back.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
"They make great plastic chew toys for Fido..."
was looking for the pic that circulated w/ a chewed-up Glock ( but couldn't find it)

I prefer my 1911's to most all the other pistols I own.
My Sig X-5 Target (in 40 S&W) is probably my most accurate pistol,
but my Clark "Hardballer" conversion is about as accurate, ( it's done on a older 70 series Govt model)

Own a few Glocks , a 21 (45) and a 22 (40 S&W).. neither gets much use.
Tried to get used to them, couldn't ..don't like the trigger..like shooting a dart-gun.
Only own 1 other polymer framed pistol , a Walther PPS M2 (9mm) .. don't like it much either.( bought it as a concealment piece)
Decided I don't like polymer framed pistols..balance is weird to me..

Only positive I will add about Glocks, @ least the model 22, is you can buy a Lone Wolf conversion barrel (40-9) & a 9mm Glock mag,
Now you own both a 9mm & 40 S&W Glock.. no gunsmitting needed. A lot simpler/ less expensive than getting a 40 S&W barrel &
having my gunsmith fit it to my Delta Elite

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Yeah...gotta go with a lightweight 1911. I've been issued and carry Glock for YEARS. Carry a G19 off-duty, mostly. It was pretty comfortable, light, and high capacity. Then last week, for giggles, I started carrying my DW CCO in .45. Sure, lesser capacity...but DANG this thing carries better than my G19! Conceals better and is WAY more comfortable.

So, i'll say....lightweight 1911 for the win on concealed carry!

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
What ever gets decided , practice with what you carry . Muscle memory is everything , especially under pressure . For example , 1911's have a thumb and grip safety , Glocks and most plastic guns do not . All of us know 1911s are great guns , but have characteristics all their own .

shotgun2002

Fanatic
...Not getting into a Glock bashing thread. BUT:

My son-in-law has a nice Glock 19 and I have my gorgeous one-of-a-kind, RIA 1911 .45 ACP with the custom made USCG logo checkered grips. A few years ago, we went shooting at the local indoor range. He shot his Glock 19 and I shot my RIA 1911.

We switched.

He absolutely fell in love with the 1911 and I could not get used to his Glock. Very uncomfortable grip angle, weird trigger system, etc... So after a mag or two, we switched back, and that was that. Glocks are okay for some, but then others just can't get used to them. The only NON-1911 that I greatly admire is the CZ-75B 9mm. My older bro-in-law has one, and it is amazing! Lethally accurate from any distance, eats up any ammo you feed it, etc...
Butch, did you ever meet my brother in law, Mike O'Berry, he just retired as E8. I know he was stationed in Washington DC and New Orleans for quite a time. He was in Media relations.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I remember the 1st qualification with my dept with my 1911 from a revolver I shot a perfect score of 250 and never did but 1 time with a revolver close but only 1 time it was a regular thing with my 1911, half our course was low light with flashlight only not gun mounted, we also shot 50 yds from barricades 75% of body had to be behind it or more.

My 1st posting in a year here as I could not log on then got a very out dated email yesterday to reset password finally after many requests for it glad to be back on.

Rusty Guns

Active Fanatic
I carried a Colt Commander as an LEO for fifteen Years on duty and off.
When I switched to a Communications Supervisor, I switched to a Glock G-23.
I liked the weight, and everything else. I carried it on duty and off for another five years till I retired. After that, I continued to carry it for EDC till I found the G-43X.
Now I carry the 43X most of the time. I do switch to a Rock Island Compact 1911, sometimes, or the G-23, or a G-45, just depending on how I feel that day.
I have had several 1911s, Rock Islands, Springfields, Colts, and one Kimber.
I even built up one from a RIA frame and a Caspian Long Slide, and KKM barrel.
Right now, I have one Kimber Stainless II FS, and a Rock Island Compact, both 45s
I have a Beretta 92FS 9mm, And several Glocks, in 9mm,40cal, 45ACP.
I even have an Advantage Arms 22 conversion on a gen2 G17 frame.
I still like my 1911s, my Beretta92, and my Glocks, I have more of them than anything else.
I had sold or traded off everything except Glocks.
Then I started missing my 1911s and picked up two of them.
I worked as a Nuclear Security Officer for 10 years, after retireing and moving to Florida.
We were issued the Beretta 92. First time I had any dealing with it. I didn't like it at first but came around as the years went by.
I like all of those platforms and can shoot very well with all of them. No problems with changing from one to another.