The discussion that happens at least once a week at work

OMCHamlin

Fanatic
Well, I have a bit of experience with both, and I own excellent examples of both. My 1911 "pinnicle" is a Rock RIVER (not Island) 1911 NM, and it will hold as well as any match 1911 I've ever tried (and certainly better then I am capable). For pure precision, for me, I'll pick that one up any time.
For pure reliability, I've said before, if I had to go to a "for sure" gunfight, armed with any "brand new, untested, out of the box" pistol, it would be a Gen 3 Glock 17, every day of the week. As in, grab it off the shelf, load it and holster it, and go. The Glock is just that reliable, period. In my smallish IDPA circle, there are those of us that shoot Glocks, and those of us that are going to deal with malfunctions...
I'm TRYING to say, BOTH have their place, but I know up front that point will be lost on many that are too in love with their chosen platform.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
"For pure reliability, I've said before, if I had to go to a "for sure" gunfight, armed with any "brand new, untested, out of the box"

1911 (production): Dan Wesson Valor

1911 (semicustom): Gun Crafter, Nighthawk or Wilson Combat

1911 to avoid: Kimber, Springfield, and anything from Les Baer (too many have failed in classes). The first two have been very bad to me and I have been burned too many times. One would expect that in 18 years of SA 1911's I would get at least one good one out of the box. I forget every few years and buy one anyway only to be disappointed again. I kept one of my EMP disasters as a reminder; keeping a $1,200 piece of junk around as a reminder is cheaper than buying a new SA every two years. Kimber's CS was so bad that I will never own another of their products.

Non-1911: SIG P Series, HK, Glock

OMCHamlin

Fanatic
1911 to avoid: Kimber, Springfield, and anything from Les Baer (too many have failed in classes). The first two have been very bad to me and I have been burned too many times. One would expect that in 18 years of SA 1911's I would get at least one good one out of the box. I forget every few years and buy one anyway only to be disappointed again. I kept one of my EMP disasters as a reminder; keeping a $1,200 piece of junk around as a reminder is cheaper than buying a new SA every two years. Kimber's CS was so bad that I will never own another of their products.

Non-1911: SIG P Series, HK, Glock

Hmm, I guess I got lucky, I have one faithful old SA stainless 1911, that I've used for bullseye and some informal NRA Action Pistol stuff, and it's been pretty darn good to me. Of course, remember, every now and then tolerances (like planets) align just right, maybe I got that one? It's been in the safe for a long time, I should get it out...
I've known other bullseye shooters that were less then satisfied with their Les Baer NMs.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had seven or eight Springfield 1911's, but one was new, and they all went one to four tines back to SACS.

OMCHamlin

Fanatic
I have had seven or eight Springfield 1911's, but one was new, and they all went one to four tines back to SACS.
Well, in truth, the wife's SA Range Officer 9mm was a little ... "iffy", but I've tackled small issues on my own with out having to send it back.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
To me it's an apples and oranges comparison. I shoot 1911's twice a week. Once on range day, and once on match day. But as big as I am I can't really put one in my pocket.

For that I have a G43 that I carry everyday (and a G17 with a light that is more or less my travel gun in the truck or overnight bag).

Lately I've been carrying the 43 daily and a 19x for road trips

JT1911

Fanatic
I have 60+ handguns and not a single glock! However, there is a new Glock coming out by ZEV, the OZ-9 (OZ9) (Original ZEV-9mm), that will have a 1911-like grip angle and be pimped out! It's gonna save me from having to build a custom glock (the only one I desire to own) from a Timberwolf Glock Frame! Anyhoo...

Major Pro for Glock (In general, except for higher end, custom glocks) - If you lose one in a defensive shooting, who cares! One gets stolen, who cares, or any other losss, who cares get another one!
Major Con for 1911 - Losing any 1911 sucks

Just Sayin' ;)

~JT

Oltruckie

Active Fanatic
Interesting, work conversation, The 1911 and Glock, They both have there place I own both, The 43 when It will be a long day and the back is achey, The 1911 because it's the cats meow all other times and its my favorite.
( .45&10mm)
Late January 2019 a new kid on the block and it's a Glock The 48 Wow, thin like a 1911, carry's same #of rounds as the 1911 9mm, did I say reliable it sure is, similar in size to the 4.25 commander 1911, lends itself to mods etc. Honestly no more 9mm 1911s, W/pricey mags, and at times finicky reliability. I may get flamed for these comments?
But all 1911 pistoleros need to look long and hard at the Glock 48. As I've posted on other forums I truly believe glocks new 43x and 48 strived to take a bite out of its competitors the Sig 365 and the 1911 crew

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Interesting, work conversation, The 1911 and Glock, They both have there place I own both, The 43 when It will be a long day and the back is achey, The 1911 because it's the cats meow all other times and its my favorite.
( .45&10mm)
Late January 2019 a new kid on the block and it's a Glock The 48 Wow, thin like a 1911, carry's same #of rounds as the 1911 9mm, did I say reliable it sure is, similar in size to the 4.25 commander 1911, lends itself to mods etc. Honestly no more 9mm 1911s, W/pricey mags, and at times finicky reliability. I may get flamed for these comments?
But all 1911 pistoleros need to look long and hard at the Glock 48. As I've posted on other forums I truly believe glocks new 43x and 48 strived to take a bite out of its competitors the Sig 365 and the 1911 crew
Agreed. I've got every one you mentioned except the 43x. Wife has already claimed the G48.

Although I'll keep shooting 9mm 1911s in competition. Talk about fast follow up shots with so little recoil.

Centuriator

Well-Known Fanatic
I tried the Glock 43, just didn't work well for me with my monster huge hands. The G48 however....looks very interesting. My LGS had one in the case when I went in last Saturday and .... tempting.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I only have two 1911's a Ruger Government and RIA GI Officer's Model, both 45's, I have only shot 800 to 900 rounds combined, but that many or more thru a Para Commander 14-45 (Went with Son). Ruger and the RIA I have are series 70 the smooth Para was Series 80.

I have six Glocks in the house, the G-17 is my wife's and she does not want me to touch it, except for cleaning, she also has a G-42 for concealed carry that she is very possessive with. I had to get a G-42 my ownself, but just to shoot with her (I use a XD40 SC for CC). My first Glock was a G-29 10 MM, I thought it would be a great carry gun at least hiking, it has a fat stubby grip that I don't care for and those Glock sights, but I can shoot it well anyway. It is more of a truck gun now. I bought a G-20 that I do like better, but have other 10's I like more better yet. I have a G-33 and I did put a smoother trigger shoe on it, Talon sandpaper grip tape, and it recently got XS big dot sights, otherwise stock. I love the odd rounds 10 MM, 40 S&W, and the lovely 357 Sig. The G-33 and me just get along, I can pocket carry or IWB or OWB. This is definitely a favorite. I have tried G-19's and G-32's, but hate the feel. I would not mind owning a G-19X or G-45 though.

So I will carry My G-33 first and my RIA OM second as the RIA is bigger and I am not as happy with my IWB holster for it.

Centuriator

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't mind at all stating that without hesitation I carry a Glock as my EDC for its capacity, utter dependability, and it's "always on" nature.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
No Glocks here, I carry a compact Wilson CQB and will carry my edc x9 when it arrived instead if a Glock. Tried many times just can't/won't buy one.
Son shoots and carries a g19 and I've tried it numerous times but no go!!

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
There are many users of the G-19, but as I said and as you said they are not for us.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I tried the Glock 43, just didn't work well for me with my monster huge hands. The G48 however....looks very interesting. My LGS had one in the case when I went in last Saturday and .... tempting.
The G48 feels exactly like a 43 and in fact fits the same holsters, except the muzzle sticks out a half inch. I bought one for the wife.

My G43 shoots like a laser. Inside 15 yards it is deadly accurate. if you don't like it, you won't like the 48.

Had to park some rounds on the grip to get it to stay put.

G43 on top of G48.

Last edited:

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
When in the free states of America I usually carry a Dave Lauck slimline Professional commander......

when in kalifornistan I carry a G 19 or a G43.

This is for police safety............if a cop wants to steal my Dave Lauck pistol, I'd have to kill em..........but if a POS commie cop in commiefornistan wants to take my glock they can have it and I'll just go home and get another one........

Just say'n

Latest posts