Making sport of arguing with strangers on the internet...

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I do believe we've argued a time or two. I must say, that I'm glad that I was able to entertain you. One of my biggest downfalls or weak points is I really, if ever, walk away from an argument. As I've gotten older I have realized that it's often pointless arguing over small petty topics of discussion. I have made changes to what forms I visit and with whom I discuss topics with. I have never been one to ignore anyone as far as using that feature on a forum but there are people I simply will not allow myself to argue with anymore.

Some argue for sport. Some argue for pleasure or because they simply don't know better. Years before the Internet I was told by a trainer, " never argue with a drunk or an idiot." I haven't argued with a drunk since my days on 'Addicts.

You're a good man FieldGrade. I have appreciated our debates as I can respect your side of the coin. Never rollover on a topic you believe in period. Your side of the coin always has value.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I really have no idea, I haven't been there in quite some time. I'm really not sure what you're referring to with the snowflake comment. Can you enlighten me about these snowflakes?

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I do believe we've argued a time or two. I must say, that I'm glad that I was able to entertain you. One of my biggest downfalls or weak points is I really, if ever, walk away from an argument. As I've gotten older I have realized that it's often pointless arguing over small petty topics of discussion. I have made changes to what forms I visit and with whom I discuss topics with. I have never been one to ignore anyone as far as using that feature on a forum but there are people I simply will not allow myself to argue with anymore.

Some argue for sport. Some argue for pleasure or because they simply don't know better. Years before the Internet I was told by a trainer, " never argue with a drunk or an idiot." I haven't argued with a drunk since my days on 'Addicts.

You're a good man FieldGrade. I have appreciated our debates as I can respect your side of the coin. Never rollover on a topic you believe in period. Your side of the coin always has value.
You'll be happy to know I wasn't even thinking about discussions here. :)

I was actively entertaining myself over at TOOS last night, as well as a local gun forum, actually two local gun forums (I think one guy got banned), and a car forum.

Much better than anything on TV! :D

I should have been a lawyer...
"He's making an argument..."

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I can not tell you the number of times I have typed a response in a thread and then deleted it before posting. Some of the info, and opinions shared frighten me and give me a head ache.

I was reading a thread this morning on speed vs accuracy. Lots of opinions from a bunch of people that don't train and never been in a gun fight.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
LOL. That's the one that prompted this thread.
Why is it always the new guys to any forum who drop the first turds in the punchbowl.
I've been in one official training class so take my opinion for what it's worth but you know what that instructor tought?

Speed and accuracy because you never know what you are going to get when and if it's your time.

What I find most interesting is how old most of the guys are in that discussion. They are worried about speed and accuracy but most of them are so old and out of shape that if they were in a force on force encounter would not be able to draw or move to save their own life. I don't care if you can shoot bullseye when you can barely walk , bend over to pick up a magazine off the deck or clear your cover garment. Speed comes from the entire approach to carrying a gun not just how fast you can reload because that is highly unlikely in a gun fight or how fast you can transition between targets. If you never practice you draw to first shot in close quarters or one handed who cares how accurate you can shoot and who cares how fast you are in a rehearsed drill on flat dry ground in your weaver stance.

Rant over.

Last edited:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the recent statistics I've read is the typical encounter where deadly force is used is inside 3-7 yards, with 4-5 shots fired per shooter.

I do carry a second mag, but not for reloads as much as malfunctions. In the scenario above I think pointing and shooting, if not shooting from retention is probably more likely.

And as I was quoted by Bugs,
"That said, my mindset regarding armed defense is situational awareness and avoidance any way possible. Drawing a weapon is the very last thing I want to see happen in any situation."

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Not having seen or read that thread, I can certainly tell just by the topic/subject matter, that would be a fruitless discussion. You're not likely to change anyone's mindset - IF that was even an objective - and any given scenario would have such an infinite variety of "what ifs" or twists & turns, as to make a meaningful discussion in a {written} forum setting an almost impossibly.

My two favorite sayings come to mind about this thread's subject matter. About arguing with an idiot; they'll just drag ya down to their level and then beat you with experience! And the other one, something about arguing with an idiot and a passerby not being able to tell which one is the idiot. Oh(!)...and I've been known to say, "Everyone is entitled to their own wrong opinion!" [emoji6]

rugerron

Well-Known Fanatic
At another gun forum the other day I posted my opinion about the difference of DT declaring a National Emergency about the wall and some other President declaring a National Emergency about owning guns and taking them from all Americans. The guy the complained the most could not see the difference between the wall argument and taking away the 2nd amendment. He then chimed in with this little diddy: "You obviously can't admit that I was right.
But, I obviously was. I don't need to argue the point with you any more."

I reminded him it was my opinion and I was pointing out a difference between the two that I felt was important. He then decided to start with name calling. I never responded after that.

Another member chimed in and said it was a forum for discussion and opinions and shared gun info and stories. We can all disagree to disagree but there is never a need for name calling. He backed me up and said it was only my opinion and that I never once said the guy was WRONG or NAME CALLED.

Such is life. As I get older I don't have time to waste on someone who wants to make things personal.

From busykngt, " And the other one, something about arguing with an idiot and a passerby not being able to tell which one is the idiot." I really like this one.

Sneaky One

Well-Known Fanatic
I never argue on the internet. AZpoolguy I didn't realize you are such a badass ? I am a 60 yo guy so I must be old and out of shape. I did not post in that thread about speed and accuracy. Azpoolguy you are dead to me. BTW, I thought twice before I posted this.

rugerron

Well-Known Fanatic
ctCQQd6gQnh7CYljMjXmWTk9I5pnMVmEAWTFLx1yVq7HwQazX91Ym-jmLlgxmliELfSxuvHWxH4MQD7kj_uBZs1x5xdv9ETocQKCore8k3GI4oMkTdytbtPWV38sREXp0eCvSlZZ

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
For the life of me I cannot understand how a very straightforward discussion with Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn turned into such a long-winded discussion on TOOS. However, I try to follow an age old piece of advice - "Never argue in public with a fool. Your audience may not be able to tell which one you are."

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
For the life of me I cannot understand how a very straightforward discussion with Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn turned into such a long-winded discussion on TOOS. However, I try to follow an age old piece of advice - "Never argue in public with a fool. Your audience may not be able to tell which one you are."
I blame the one new guy who got three or four of us in a stew.

Plus I was bored.