MAGAZINES 1911A1.... WHAT IS BEST ???

NraJeff

New Fanatic
I never worried much about magazine issues until I bought a Kimber Master Carry. During break-in, after a few jams using the factory mags, I've been reading a lot of advice about how to make it jam-free, including trying various magazines. My non-Kimber mags include Colt, and generic unmarked, and Wilson Combat--from back when I owned a 1967 Nat'l Match and a Gold Cup elite). Thanks to comments here I just ordered some Tripps. I will see how they perform as I look at other possible causes of jams.

K75RT

New Fanatic
I took the Ed Brown trade in deal a while back, I got rid of some old fixed floor plate magazines and received the new Ed Brown 8-round magazines they function perfectly. I still have a couple of MecGar and Chip McCormick mags as they have been excellent as well.

Cooperwannabe

Fanatic
I have a Tisas 1911 9MM full size (duty) and it only failed once during break-in using the mags that it came with. No problems since then using Mec-Gar, Wilson Combat, and Chip McCormick. Probably around 2K rounds (commercial and hand-loads)

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Tisas 1911 9MM full size (duty) and it only failed once during break-in using the mags that it came with. No problems since then using Mec-Gar, Wilson Combat, and Chip McCormick. Probably around 2K rounds (commercial and hand-loads)
Great to hear. I recently bought a Tank commander, but waiting on the weather to get better here.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
All Wilson Combat, 8 rd with the longer base pads for 45, 10 rd for 9mm, also have some 10 rd for 45 acp also, never any problems with these, I have some Colt mags, they didn't give me any problems that I can recall, tried to put base pads on them but some hard metal for the self tapping screws, found a jig on EBay that worked great for alignment but breaking bits, stripping screws, only got one base pad installed so chunked that project, this was ten years ago when I first got into IDPA, just wasn't aware yet of everything out there but a buddy turned me onto Wilson and haven't looked back

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I have only had a problem with ProMag, I have some slick Brownell's, several models of CMC including a 10 round Power Mag, Wilson, Mecgar and all work well.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Way back I had some ProMag Glock mags, no problems with those I can recall but have seen numerous problems with other models, so Wilson Combat and factory Glock mags how I roll these days, saw a video on ProMag drum, what a disaster

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Way back I had some ProMag Glock mags, no problems with those I can recall but have seen numerous problems with other models, so Wilson Combat and factory Glock mags how I roll these days, saw a video on ProMag drum, what a disaster
I stick to Glock factory mags. My Colt Huntsman uses only factory mags too. Hi Power mags are Mecgar that's what the factory uses. !911 all bets are off lol.

Turkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Wilson combat for my 1911 mags - given I only have a cheaper 1911.

For my Glocks and Springfields, I stick with the factory mags.

You have a lot of great feedback and choices here. So let us know what you go with!

Latest posts