MAGAZINES 1911A1.... WHAT IS BEST ???

GerSan69

Fanatic
I'm probably the last person to ask about a "best" magazine. I have a collection of GI and whatever came with various guns I've had over the years. I'm not big on all the "rituals," like changing followers and springs, like I probably should, either. But with a bunch of ruptured discs, pinched sciatic nerve and sacroiliac screwed up since 1995, I tend to reach for the lighter-weight members of my gaggle-o'-guns. Y'all keep enjoying your fine pieces of American craftsmanship and ingenuity as long as you can.

1wildpig

Fanatic
I've gotten flawless performance from the Colt 7 round 45 ACP mags in my Colt and Kimber full size pistols and the Colt and Ruger commander size pistols that I've had... and the Colt 6 rounders ran in the Kimber and Rock Island officer size pistols that I had even when the factory mags wouldn't. I've got some no name government number type 7 rd mags that I use for the range that run even with my SWC ammo... and I've got a couple of CMC 8 rd power mags in which I've changed the followers that have done well also... I would use them as a back up to my back up mags... but, so far, I've only used them on the range, and not very often simply due to always running the 7 rounders... I guess I just got them so I could say I had some 8 rd mags...
Some maker has a slightly longer mag body with a bumper pad covering the extended body on their 8 rd mags... I can't remember which one at the moment... but, that would be what I would want for adequate spring / follower travel and stability in an 8 rd mag that would be used for business purposes, all else being appropriate...
I've got a 7 rd Wilson Combat that has ran well too, that I would use as a back up... But, the mags I use when they positively have to run right are the Colt 7 rounders with the prancing pony.
As always, "Your Mileage May Vary"...

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey, I see I'm late to the conversation. Best bang for the buck I've found are the MecGar polymer follower mags. Pic below. I've used them in Springfield, Kimber, Colt, Dan Wesson, Metro Arms and others. Worked perfectly in all of them. Follower is a hard polymer and smooth. More importantly, provides full support all the way to the chamber.

IMG_2502.jpeg

Here is a link to the ones I bought.

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
A side note on the new Ed Brown 8rd 45 ACP mags. The mag sleeve is extended on the new mags. If you don't have a magwell extension, they will stick out the bottom. It's not that they are bad mags, you really need an extended magwell for them to look right. The added length was to correct feed issues in the older mags.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Unlike some forum members I have had very good luck with Colt mags, both 7 and 8 rounders, blue and stainless.
I have a big box with Military 20 rd M16 mags NIW & most are great.
So many different Military & Colt 1911 mags that work great however
the most lost souls belong to Colt. I have tried new springs, followers
without fixing the problem. Most problems are FTF.

I think they could have bad tubes or lips, who knows.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a big box with Military 20 rd M16 mags NIW & most are great.
So many different Military & Colt 1911 mags that work great however
the most lost souls belong to Colt. I have tried new springs, followers
without fixing the problem. Most problems are FTF.

I think they could have bad tubes or lips, who knows.
I like Colt 7 rd mags. I don't use them in my l/w Commandrers. I don't care to damage my feed ramp. I'm not even sure this is a valid complaint? To be on the safe side I choose not to use standard style followers in l/w frames. Steel frame all bets are off.

jhp147

New Fanatic
I have been getting Ed Browns on his trade-in program as some of my very old or non-descript mags stop working. I have been satisfied with them, but only on guns with magazine wells. They just stick out too far to my eye at least. The CMC Railed Power Mags I've been using seem to be real solid but I can't say I have had/run them long enough to really strain the feed lips or the base. I still have VERY old CMC Power Mags that have had springs replaced and been re-compressed to new specs at the top when they start to spread. I recently ran a couple of those I've had since maybe 2010 (?) that I have re-sprung, polished in a case tumbler, and polished the back of the follower. They still run run/lock back in both 4.25 and 5 inch guns. I suspect there area lot more good than bad mags out there these days.

Last edited:

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been getting Ed Browns on his trade-in program as some of my very old or non-descript mags stop working. I have been satisfied with them, but only on guns with magazine wells. They just stick out too far to my eye at least. The CMC Railed Power Mags I've been using seem to be real solid but I can't say I have had/run them long enough to really strain the feed lips or the base. I still have VERY old CMC Power Mags that have had springs replaced and been re-compressed to new specs at the top when they start to spread. I recently ran a couple of those I've had since maybe 2010 (?) that I have re-sprung, polished in a case tumbler, and polished the back of the follower. They still run run/lock back in both 4.25 and 5 inch guns. I suspect there area lot more good than bad mags out there these days.

I do the same on trade-in. They are good for extended magwells and range use. $10 + a crap mag is a dood deal. Think I bought 16 EB mags last time on trade-in. I prefer the polymer follower mags for my carry piece though, or a trusted flush fit as my carry gun doesn't have a magwell extension. There's just no room for anything unreliable in my carry gun.

My last haul of EBs, 9's, 10's and 45's
IMG_9420.jpeg

Latest posts