MAGAZINES 1911A1.... WHAT IS BEST ???

Master Gunworks

Active Fanatic
BEST MAG FOR 1911A1...???? WHICH ONE?
There are a number of very good mags on the market. Willson and Chip Mcormick are good mags and seem to run well. However, I only use one in all my custom builds. Tripp Cobra Mags with the hybrid followers. Fit finish and function of the Tripp mags have been the best in my experience.

NITINOL

Fanatic
If you have mags that actually say Colt; I'd clean them, try to find some cosmoline, and lube them for hard storage. Imho. Colt fans and original Colts go for higher prices. Ok, I said that wrong but you get the Idea.
On new firearms, I tend to box the original mags, after testing & cleaning, and use quality 'aftermarket' purchases. (Sometimes, some firearms only have the factory shipped type mags as only ones that are available, there is does not matter.) This may help the price negotiations, sometimes, if you have the original 'shipped with' mag(s). {Although I, ironically, never plan to sell any of my firearms.} You also have a few backups if you run into an issue, like a boating accident. :)
Find one, type/model, that works for you and your platforms. Invest in them. Increase their number when you can. Carry & range, (using), loaded sitting, (staged in safe/quick access home defense box), ready for loading, ('extra' stand-buy supply), and stored for future, (long storage/end of world thing). Worst case, you have supplies during shortages'.
Carry, 1 in gun w/min 2 reloads. 3 at home loaded, 3 in bag waiting. This is the minimum to have if you exceptional at avoiding trouble. A number of people also have a set of 'range' mags. Older/worn units or ones that are not 100%; use at range and have to practice malfunction clearing drills as well. (Or, dinged up in training, working fine but replaced.) Any < 100% is suspect. {{ProMag, 15 Rd in 45, range only use.}}
Amazing what a new spring can do to a high mileage magazine.
Get the basics (needs) covered, then add to backup supply.
I go for the 'extra' round, (8 rd), flush fit, pushing 230s in regular or +P. Some go for the 10 rd, just for reloading, some all the time. All mine are the same so it cuts down on variables. Same gun, same place, every day. Remember to test out any defensive ammo before you carry it or have to use it defensively. Cleaning.
Also, there are many I have not tried. Does not mean they're insufficient; just, I haven't used them and have no data.

NITINOL

Fanatic
All my answers have been given already. I haven't had any problems with the MecGar or McCormick. I need to buy some Wilson Combat mags too
I don't have to pay for shipping from Wilson.....I drive there and buy them in person. I live about 45 minutes from Wilson Combat.
All my 1911 mag's are 7 round, for my Officers 1911
You drive by and pick them up directly?
I'm so jealous. :(
More power to you.

lateaugust2

New Fanatic
I'm old school and not prone to competition shooting, my Colt is a 1937 Navy and is strictly a defensive arm used to protect my property along with my Winchester 1897 12 bore. I've tried many 1911 mags over the years, Original WWI & WWII mfg, Colt commercial, Trip and even a Norwegian or two, but I must say the best functioning and dependable has been my two original 1914 Springfield Armory mags. The manufacturing process was extremely elaborate but they had a rep for being the most durable and consistent, which I can agree with.
Only problem is they stopped making them just before WWI.

Matthew Thomas

Fanatic
Chip McCormick, Wilson and MecGar are all I have bought. I had some Checkmate that came with a Ruger, sold the gun and should have kept the mags. Vickers mags from wilson have worked well in every 1911 I have had.

Last edited:

SoCal1911

Fanatic
My preffered 1911 single stack mags are Wilson. Never had a failure as long as you keep clean and change springs when needed. Fed SWC reliable but that is what I fed all of my 1911 over the years. Just cannot go wrong with Wilson mags.
IMHO.

dennishoddy

Anything I carry has an 8-round to start. The spares I take along are the 10-round mags. At home, on the shelf, I put a 10-round in and a spare in the hide-in-plain-sight box.
If at a redneck BBQ, sporting an open carry, it's going to be an 8 rounder because it completes the beauty of the 1911.
Otherwise there will be one in the chamber and 10 in the magazine. Condition 1.

KS95B40

Well-Known Fanatic
My favorites are the 47 series Wilson Combats, I use both the 47C 7rd and 47D 8rd magazines. I do prefer the low profile steel or aluminum base pads. I also have had good luck with Chip McCormick CMC magazines, I especially like their 10rd Powermags.

Unlike some forum members I have had very good luck with Colt mags, both 7 and 8 rounders, blue and stainless.

I usually buy Colt mags with the prancing pony logo. There are mags marked Colt .45 Auto on the base (w/o the pony) that are not Colt and are of questionable quality. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference just by looking at them. The difference becomes apparent when using them.

Latest posts