MAGAZINES 1911A1.... WHAT IS BEST ???

dennishoddy

I used my 1911 in Three Gun and USPSA matches when first getting into competition shooting.
10 round Tripp Cobra magazines were preferred by the majority of shooters. To compete in those sports, the mags have to run flawlessly, and they did. Never had a mag failure in many, many thousands of rounds.
Wilson Combat were also great mags that ran without failure.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Y'all remember the Military CMC mags in the brown wrap for $5.00 at gun shows?
Change the spring to Wolfe & a SS rounded follower by Pachmayr. That works 100 % for me.

Boy you are opening a can of worms with this one.
Open the Can :eek: wider.
What brand mags have you had the most problems with? Me? COLT. :oops: Yep both M16 & 1911, the 1 mag that came with my New Commander & the New mag in my 2011 full size were not right. I shoot HPs in the Plastic guns, but shoot & carry only Hard Ball in my 1911s. Plenty ammo down range before I trust any mag for CCW use. I use Ball for reliability & knock down, not to hope the HP does not hang up & not get a chance to hit the bad guy & open to .850 & takes the spine out.
My CMC rebuilds work in everyone of my 9 Colts from 1917 to 2011 they all love them. I do have 4 COLT M16 mags with issues & 5 COLT
1911 mags that I can't rebuild right. Why is that I wonder?

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
In 2 Colt, 2 Springfield 1911's & a Franken-1911 with ever 8 round mag the cartridge took a nosedive and jammed the gun. Never had a problem with MecGar or mil spec 7 round mags. I gave all my 8 round Wilson Combat mags away. My old mil spec overused 7 rd mags never had a problem.

A34

Fanatic
I've used a bunch over the years, lots of good ones, Mecgar, Chip McCormick, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown. Other than the stock mag that came with the pistols, I use mostly Ed Brown. That's because they had a special a couple years ago to trade in old mags for theirs. So, I gathered up all my no-name and non-CMC, non-Wilson and sent them in. Pretty happy with the Ed Browns. And still happy with my Wilson's and CMC's.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    722.7 KB · Views: 9

learning

Fanatic
I've had great luck with MecGar and Tripp magazines over the years....they've functioned and held up well even after many competitions and being dropped in sand and dirt. I do take good care of them, cleaning and changing springs periodically. Most recently i purchased several mags from the Brownells, they market a proprietary line of magazines and they seem to be of excellent quality as well. The only thing i noticed on the Brownells magazine is that coating is a bit thick (albeit nice looking) so it took a couple of days for it to wear just a bit before it would drop free on one of my 1911s which has a comparatively narrow magwell.

Modern 1911 magazines have come a long way in recent years.

Latest posts