Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I believe it's pretty common to buy a lower-priced 1911 (or any pistol, really) and then start putting money into it, to make it shoot better, look better, feel better, etc.. I did put too much $ into my RIA 9mm, didn't like the parkerized finish, so had it cerekoted. Didn't like the tiny GI sights, so had gunsmith install better, more easily visable straight 8 sights..'course needed to changer the grips, etc.. Soon I'd put about as much into that pistol as I'd paid for it.
A few years later, I also found what I wanted, ( & would have liked to buy in the first place ) a Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm. Found it on Gunbroker, my 1st purchase using that site. Guy who sold it described it accurately, and sent about 4 extra mags he had for it. I was happy.

I understand I'll probably never get the $ I've put into the RIA out of it in a sale, but the mods I did made it a better looking (IMO) and shooting pistol,
so it's not like it was wasted. Just a learning experience, so sorts. One I feel is pretty common for those on this site.

added: a Springfield Loaded for $ 675.00 was a nice find & buy, IMO.
I own three 1911 45ACP's. My old Combat Commander, Sig RCS, and the Springfield. I could use a 1911 in a 9MM, is yours for sale?.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I believe it's pretty common to buy a lower-priced 1911 (or any pistol, really) and then start putting money into it, to make it shoot better, look better, feel better, etc.. I did put too much $ into my RIA 9mm, didn't like the parkerized finish, so had it cerekoted. Didn't like the tiny GI sights, so had gunsmith install better, more easily visable straight 8 sights..'course needed to changer the grips, etc.. Soon I'd put about as much into that pistol as I'd paid for it.
A few years later, I also found what I wanted, ( & would have liked to buy in the first place ) a Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm. Found it on Gunbroker, my 1st purchase using that site. Guy who sold it described it accurately, and sent about 4 extra mags he had for it. I was happy.

I understand I'll probably never get the $ I've put into the RIA out of it in a sale, but the mods I did made it a better looking (IMO) and shooting pistol,
so it's not like it was wasted. Just a learning experience, so sorts. One I feel is pretty common for those on this site.

I've lost far more on guns than I'll ever know, but sometimes out of genuine necessity, and others thru If I sell this I can get that. Then that goes for something else. I've gone full circle from 1911's with all the addon's I thought I needed, back to basics. To borrow from U'2 " I still haven't found what I'm looking for." I'm getting close to finding it tho. Most of mine are near stock now. Spur hammers no beavertails no extended thumb safeties. Most have Herrett HB-1 full checkered grips, good sights and unless the factory trigger absolutely sucks they are pretty stock there. The triggers I've had done run 4.5 to 5 pounds. I've been stocking more ammo than guns for a while now. Purchase what YOU like and what YOU want. It boils down to personal choice, and to me that's what It's all about. I'm watching a full size Springfield L/W 45acp on Gun Broker now. It's exactly what I want so I may bid on it, but as nuts as GB bidding has become unless I pay FAR more than I am wanting to, or am willing to, someone else will win it.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I've lost far more on guns than I'll ever know, but sometimes out of genuine necessity, and others thru If I sell this I can get that. Then that goes for something else. I've gone full circle from 1911's with all the addon's I thought I needed, back to basics. To borrow from U'2 " I still haven't found what I'm looking for." I'm getting close to finding it tho. Most of mine are near stock now. Spur hammers no beavertails no extended thumb safeties. Most have Herrett HB-1 full checkered grips, good sights and unless the factory trigger absolutely sucks they are pretty stock there. The triggers I've had done run 4.5 to 5 pounds. I've been stocking more ammo than guns for a while now. Purchase what YOU like and what YOU want. It boils down to personal choice, and to me that's what It's all about. I'm watching a full size Springfield L/W 45acp on Gun Broker now. It's exactly what I want so I may bid on it, but as nuts as GB bidding has become unless I pay FAR more than I am wanting to, or am willing to, someone else will win it.
The Colt Combat I had trigger work done on it, shoots great. the others are stock. I pretty much have given up on GB, I still watch it and bid, but for my price. Time you figure in shipping, transfer, plus 3% it's sometimes better to shop locally.. Don't know if you have tried this on GB, but go to Advanced Search, only type in your State and see what the locals have listed. It has saved me quit a bit. Shipping, CC fee's, and transfer. Once I had to drive two hours to get there, but it was worth it.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The Colt Combat I had trigger work done on it, shoots great. the others are stock. I pretty much have given up on GB, I still watch it and bid, but for my price. Time you figure in shipping, transfer, plus 3% it's sometimes better to shop locally.. Don't know if you have tried this on GB, but go to Advanced Search, only type in your State and see what the locals have listed. It has saved me quit a bit. Shipping, CC fee's, and transfer. Once I had to drive two hours to get there, but it was worth it.
I have not tried that search, thank you for the information, I will look into that

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." Once I had to drive two hours to get there, but it was worth it..." This made me laugh. 'cause I once did the same..(or maybe a little more)
I'm active on a local site ( MGO .org ), where they have a " Wanted to buy" forum. I posted saying I wanted a SS Commander in 45 acp.
A guy from the other side of the state said he had one that he'd sell. Sent me pics of it, and being a nice guy, he met me 1/2 way, for the purchase.
Much better driving 1/2 way across the state than having to drive all the way across. The SS Colt Combat Commander was as he'd stated, & after firing some rds. , trigger felt too good for a factory trigger, he might have done some work on it, or had it done. It's a keeper.
[h2][/h2]
[h2][/h2]

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
.." Once I had to drive two hours to get there, but it was worth it..." This made me laugh. 'cause I once did the same..(or maybe a little more)
I'm active on a local site ( MGO .org ), where they have a " Wanted to buy" forum. I posted saying I wanted a SS Commander in 45 acp.
A guy from the other side of the state said he had one that he'd sell. Sent me pics of it, and being a nice guy, he met me 1/2 way, for the purchase.
Much better driving 1/2 way across the state than having to drive all the way across. The SS Colt Combat Commander was as he'd stated, & after firing some rds. , trigger felt too good for a factory trigger, he might have done some work on it, or had it done. It's a keeper.
[h2][/h2]
[h2][/h2]
Score!

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
[h2][/h2]
[h2][/h2]
Lol...That was my very first pistol which l still have. .1911 satin nickel combat commander. bought at Scheels Hardware Minot ND. Moved a few times since then. Only thing l can remember is the wife just about killed me., For paying that much.
I think l paid somewhere around $225.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Well, my LGS, received an SDS TISAS Tanker, which is like a Commander.

I did not shoot the pistol but just checked it out and was impressed by what I saw.

The trigger was fine and the slide to frame fit was tight...

Tighter than a Colt, had some decent grips on it unlike the RIA.

Forged frame, slide, and a chrome lined, hammer forged barrel, for $425.

Sort of reminded me of the Norinco 45 years ago, although the TISAS is finished way better!
DSC04323-scaled.jpg

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

"Pretty common for those on this site" is an understatement. I've got a 37 year old Marlin Model 60 .22 semiautomatic rifle that was $89.00 when it was new. I decided it needed some attention and by the time I was done, it was gorgeous and shooting better and more accurate than ever. I added up what I spent, and it came up to just over $600.00 invested in a gun that goes for around $250.00 new today.

Disclaimer: My Father gave me this rifle for my 16th birthday. I didn't track what I was spending when I was working on it because of it's value to me. I knew I was investing much more in it than I could ever get out of it, but I would never, ever sell it anyway.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
"Pretty common for those on this site" is an understatement. I've got a 37 year old Marlin Model 60 .22 semiautomatic rifle that was $89.00 when it was new. I decided it needed some attention and by the time I was done, it was gorgeous and shooting better and more accurate than ever. I added up what I spent, and it came up to just over $600.00 invested in a gun that goes for around $250.00 new today.

Disclaimer: My Father gave me this rifle for my 16th birthday. I didn't track what I was spending when I was working on it because of it's value to me. I knew I was investing much more in it than I could ever get out of it, but I would never, ever sell it anyway.
A cheap pistol or rifle, will always be a cheap pistol/rifle. One can easily dump a ton of money into it making it shoot & look better. Point is, don't ever plan on getting your money back out of it. On the other hand, if it makes you happy, why not.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I think everyone knows you're not gonna get 600 dollars worth of upgrades out of a 400 dollar rifle or pistol, smart adults here that are fully aware and doing this because it makes them happy, nothing more than this

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I think everyone knows you're not gonna get 600 dollars worth of upgrades out of a 400 dollar rifle or pistol, smart adults here that are fully aware and doing this because it makes them happy, nothing more than this
AGREED

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." 've got a 37 year old Marlin Model 60 .22 semiautomatic rifle that was $89.00 when it was new. "...

Guess I must be older than CECannonJr, as I had a few of those Marlin mod.60's back in the mid-late 70's, early80's.
I was living in So.Calif. & bought one @ Kmart for $49.99 (?) they ran an ad seemed like every week for them,
always the same price (just under $50.00) I bought one & couldn't believe how accurate it was..ended up buying a 2nd one, for a "back-up",
in case something happened to the 1st one I'd purchased. Gave 1 away to a young guy I met thru my wife, she was taking a physics class with him.
He was a motorcyclist, & we started riding , then shooting together. When I left so. Calif. , moving back to Mi., I gave him the rifle.
I want to believe it was the start of his collection. Don't even remember what I did with the 2nd rifle..probably sold it after I got to Mi.
Sometime before leaving So.Cal., I bought a Ruger 10-22 and started shooting it more.

and I too believe that there's nothing wrong with putting $ into a cheap gun, for personal satisfaction, or fit your needs / desires,..just don't expect to sell it for the $ you've put into it. Many put additional $ into expensive guns, to modify them they way they like. Same problem persists..you won't get the $ you put into a gun modifying it to your liking, when you try to sell it. There are always exceptions to this rule, but they are quite rare, in my experience.
[h4][/h4]

Last edited:

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Hickok45 has a video out today on the Tisas, nitpicked it a little on the few things that were off as far as being exact clone to the real thing but was pretty impressed with it

VWTX

New Fanatic
For the money, obviously, is Tisas a decent starter 1911? I see a Tanker in stock online $450?
If you like a pistol manufactured in a country where the government is hostile to the United States, an OK entry level 1911, but there are similar pistol made in the USA. Turkey has a developing firearms and ammunition industry that make a decent product but I prefer to support USA made tools....

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Well, after being sold out, by Washington and Wall Street, I could care less where a pistol is made, if I can get a Bargain on it, and...

I think the Tisas, with a forged frame, slide, and barrel, is a bargain, and way better than like priced pistols.

Just sayin!

Latest posts