Is Tisas a good 1911 option?

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish everything we bought was made in America but it's unrealistic, anyway this is a post on is Tisas a good 1911 and after all I've seen I'd say absolutely, I'm goin to my LGS today and if he's got one in stock I'm buying it, I don't have a plain Jane one

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
For a entry level pistol I think the R I would be a better choice , as hickok45 said . If you listen to the review carefully you understand the pistol had several jams at 150 and 200 rounds. The trigger and sights are not good , and if you want to change the grips you must also change the bushings . So there you are ! All the things that make a low end pistol low end are still there , and all the things that make a quality pistol are too ! Buy American when ever you can, the job you save may be your OWN !

dhawk46

Active Fanatic
I saw one of these Turkish pistols at a gun show, recently. Appeared to be well made. As for me, all my 1911 pistols are Colt's. No interest in changing what works for me. DVC

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
" if you want to change the grips you must also change the bushings.." .... that is NOT what was said.

What was said is : If you want (or need) to change the Screws holding on the grips, then the bushings may need to be changed. The bushings use a different thread pitch, which works with the factory grip screws, but if you use anything other than the factory grip screws, you will have to change the bushings as well.

in other words, the thread pitch on the screws have to match the thread pitch on the bushings.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I just watched and listened carefully carefully to the video again and heard no mention of malfunctions, heard we've had no malfunctions, might have some now and at end of video he said we've had no malfunctions right John? Not exact quote but close

I've actually got a RIA GI commander I had forgot about but don't have a 1911A1 clone or near copy with arched mainspring housing so I think I will choose this one, I like how it looks.

cxm

Active Fanatic
Both are good choices... I bought a basic Tias shortly after they were introduced and was pleased with it. It was milspec and other than some slight differences in the sights it was a very 1911A1 clone... It was reliable and milspec accurate. The grips that came with the gun were black plastic similar in design to WWII military grips.

I also have several Rock Island 1911s. They offer several levels of finish and accessories. The basic guns can often be had for less than $400 and upgraded feature guns for proportionally more. Mine are reliable, accurate and also milspec. The grips that came with the guns are wood of some sort, probably Teak that is smooth.

I'd be happy with either gun.

FWIW

Chuck

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
The video Hickok.45 put up a day ago is not what was posted above. That was from about 8 years ago when the Tisas had a cast frame. He was very positive on the new one. (Again…. $400 pistol)
The negative review posted was also from many years ago.

I laugh when I see comments to the effect of I have never seen one or shot one but it must be bad. You should buy a XYZ cause that's what I did.

I am a die hard Colt fan boy. The vast majority of my 1911's are and have been Colts. With a few Springfield , Sig, Norinco and Wilson thrown in.

I have handled and shot Rock Islands and have not been impressed. They are what they are and serve a price point option.

I needed a dedicated lower for an Advantage Arms Commander length kit. I heard so much hype on the new Tisas with a forged frame I thought I would give it a try.

So for $400 + tax I picked up the Tanker model. It has a metal mainspring housing and short trigger I like. I love the wide spur hammer as well. I have never had an issue with hammer bit and this one is no different.

The slide did not move as smooth as I liked but a little J-B bore cleaning compound on the rails and a few minutes of cycling the slide and that problem was solved (thanks Hilton Yam)
The fit and finish was really nice on the one I purchased. Much nicer than my old offshore favorite Norinco.

I changed the grips and put some paint on the front sight and took it out to test with .45 and the above mentioned AA .22 conversion.

I only have about 300 rounds set up as a .45 and 800+ set up as a conversion unit. It will now live as a dedicated.22.

Considering I cannot see for crap anymore the gun was more than accurate enough at 7 and 10 yards. I have not had a single malfunction so far.

The current versions are really nice for the money. They have options with Novak style sights and more modern updates if that is what you are looking for.

So… if someone asked me for a $400 1911 based upon what I have seen and shot I would point them to the Tisas and feel good.

If anyone wants to start the add a few more dollars and buy X. Then buy a Colt.

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw one of these Turkish pistols at a gun show, recently. Appeared to be well made. As for me, all my 1911 pistols are Colt's. No interest in changing what works for me. DVC
I love Colt's and have more than a couple, but I also have wonderful luck with Springfield's too. All but one of mine are older ones tho if that makes any difference. Those are my preference, no other reason. I HAD a beautiful first run TRP I gave to my son, he later had to sell it due to unmitigating circumstances, and I could not afford to buy it back at the time. I truly regret that. The quest continues. It didn't have night sights, or front serrations, in other words just how I like my guns. Again just my own preferences.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The video Hickok.45 put up a day ago is not what was posted above. That was from about 8 years ago when the Tisas had a cast frame. He was very positive on the new one. (Again…. $400 pistol)
The negative review posted was also from many years ago.

I laugh when I see comments to the effect of I have never seen one or shot one but it must be bad. You should buy a XYZ cause that's what I did.

I am a die hard Colt fan boy. The vast majority of my 1911's are and have been Colts. With a few Springfield , Sig, Norinco and Wilson thrown in.

I have handled and shot Rock Islands and have not been impressed. They are what they are and serve a price point option.

I needed a dedicated lower for an Advantage Arms Commander length kit. I heard so much hype on the new Tisas with a forged frame I thought I would give it a try.

So for $400 + tax I picked up the Tanker model. It has a metal mainspring housing and short trigger I like. I love the wide spur hammer as well. I have never had an issue with hammer bit and this one is no different.

The slide did not move as smooth as I liked but a little J-B bore cleaning compound on the rails and a few minutes of cycling the slide and that problem was solved (thanks Hilton Yam)
The fit and finish was really nice on the one I purchased. Much nicer than my old offshore favorite Norinco.

I changed the grips and put some paint on the front sight and took it out to test with .45 and the above mentioned AA .22 conversion.

I only have about 300 rounds set up as a .45 and 800+ set up as a conversion unit. It will now live as a dedicated.22.

Considering I cannot see for crap anymore the gun was more than accurate enough at 7 and 10 yards. I have not had a single malfunction so far.

The current versions are really nice for the money. They have options with Novak style sights and more modern updates if that is what you are looking for.

So… if someone asked me for a $400 1911 based upon what I have seen and shot I would point them to the Tisas and feel good.

If anyone wants to start the add a few more dollars and buy X. Then buy a Colt.
I appreciate your candor. Most of my 1911's were purchased before the current crap storm hit. Boy am I glad! As far as not being able to see crap, I feel I'm in good company. I've worn glassed since I was 10 yrs old, and I'm looking at 69 in a few months. They're called the golden years for a reason....It takes a ton of gold sometimes to keep goin. LOL

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I just watched and listened carefully carefully to the video again and heard no mention of malfunctions, heard we've had no malfunctions, might have some now and at end of video he said we've had no malfunctions right John? Not exact quote but close

I've actually got a RIA GI commander I had forgot about but don't have a 1911A1 clone or near copy with arched mainspring housing so I think I will choose this one, I like how it looks.
He actually says [ bobbles ]

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep that's the one and yeah he says boobles a lot but not in this video, he says malfunctions

So went to the LGS few hours ago, he has 3 in stock, 425 and I must say it is pretty nice, decent trigger and of course sights aren't great, it's a copy of 1911A1, they didn't come with Dawson fiber optics, I just liked how it looked and would be in the truck with me but I had told them to keep an eye out for a bolt action 308 and they just got in a Savage 110 with Vortex scope so it's keeping me company right now, will pick up the Tisas in few weeks

Attachments

• AFD257FD-E7A9-4A5A-A0A8-89B4A55AF32B.jpeg
    AFD257FD-E7A9-4A5A-A0A8-89B4A55AF32B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
I will be honest, years ago, I thought the Norinco 45 was a great bargain, but...

In today's market, the Tisas is even better, in price and quality.

For me, a trigger job, with the correct jigs, using the OEM Parts, a long trigger, wood grips, and Wolff Springs and it would be good to go for any application!

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
I got a call from a good friend earlier this week. He told me he recently bought a SDS/Tisas, the 1911 Carry B45. He has owned and shot many 1911s. He told me he put 4 out of 6 shots onto an IDPA target at 100 yards, then put 3 to the body and 2 to the head at 50 yards. I asked him about reliability and he said no problems with 230g factory ball or JHP ammo.

Firestorm3511

Fanatic
For the money, obviously, is Tisas a decent starter 1911? I see a Tanker in stock online $450?
I own (2) Tisas's neither of which is the .45 ACP. One is an exact replica of the Beretta 84, the other is a Browning High Power Clone. Both are Very good precision tools for the money and hard to beat. I also have (2) RIA's, 10mm and 9mm 1911's. If it's your first .45 ACP, I would probably go with the RIA which are more accurate that I am, but in my mind the Tisa appears to be better machined.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep that's the one and yeah he says boobles a lot but not in this video, he says malfunctions

So went to the LGS few hours ago, he has 3 in stock, 425 and I must say it is pretty nice, decent trigger and of course sights aren't great, it's a copy of 1911A1, they didn't come with Dawson fiber optics, I just liked how it looked and would be in the truck with me but I had told them to keep an eye out for a bolt action 308 and they just got in a Savage 110 with Vortex scope so it's keeping me company right now, will pick up the Tisas in few weeks
I hear great things about the Savage 110. My dad had a 300 savage 99 my mom bought for him when he was in the Navy. They were in Norfolk. Man I wish I had that gun now. Dad's passed and the Savage was supposedly stolen.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh no I hate to hear that, hate when guns get stolen, especially attached to family, I had a 99 in 308. Gave to my boss, obviously a great boss! But now kinda wish I'd given him a card or somethingthe 99's have really go up in price, it was a commutative one too, 75 years or something, anyway was very glad to get this rifle at a great price

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Just browsing thru YouTube today, raining so no work today, Military Arms Channel has video on the Tisas and he was really impressed, he's kinda hard to please sometimes, says video released a year ago, he paid 339 from Classic Firearms

Latest posts