For anyone thinking of getting into reloading...

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Both very easy the 308 you will really notice cost savings and accuracy improvements just need to jump in and do it while you still can not hard at all, do you have a reloader friends? That's the best way to start. What is the wait? Yesterday I went to a local store ZERO powder 4-500 primers only already way over priced and high priced bullets like you saw. All presses sold! You may have almost waited to long as so many do. They had 40 cal, 22rf, & 380 ammo was it for pistol, some off calibers rifle ammo was all, Academy here not the place to buy anyway. Several customers were asking others if they had ammo to sell.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just got a call from friend he found some $29.95 / 1000 out the door primers today could not pass that up limited to 6000 per person. His wife got 6 and he got me 6. Never pass these days on that. Shoot in the am tomorrow no rain till late pm hopefully. worse than a kid at Christmas on going tomorrow here.

Reactions: Dub

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Academy primers per 100 $3.95
Bass Pro $4.95
Scheels $2.95 we got 6000
In stock at Scheels all you want no limits today pallets of 9mm ammo no limits, we shot close to 500 rounds today

brass.jpg

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
This is what we worked on today at 20 yds same size desert plate as IDPA heads, 50 rounds here double tap then head shot then double tap 20-10-20 rounds shot AR9mm 8", this will be in a stage I am doing in June, then shoot 5 clays targets at 20 and must hit all 5 to count stage shoot till you hit.plata.jpg

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Per topic after yesterday's trip to a few stores killing time those who are still on the fence waiting or deciding well you may have sit on that fence a tad to long! If $$$ invested matter, Obie taught us well as Klinton also did. Anyone still not decided unless other factors are involved, just think also factoring the election year if things go south where you will be, much worse. When you have people at the ranges asking to buy ammo you know you did right. I love my shooting way to much to even thing of cutting back or worse, not me there.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Looking like another reloading week coming next week as they show 6 days straight of rain forecast 50%+ daily, our range is like glue when wet!

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
Bullseye?

You might be well served to try and find a powder you cannot easily double charge without it being obvious and ideally spilling over... especially as a new reloader..

Just a thought..

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Bullseye is a great one I loaded that over 10 yrs along with 700X were the only 2 I used, now 9mm=WST and 45=Clays, I have a lifetime amount of powder here. We will probably load 1 day this week all day long. We also cast our bullets.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Way over 40 years doing all that here.
2 Dillions-Star-H LnLoad and a few more used to load commercial on a Camdex is how I paid for all.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
These are my loading project this week 500 of them now to load.. One of the best bullets I have shot in my 1911's, a Noe mold 8 cavity, loading with Clays.... All now coated and ready to load.
noe 45.jpg

Reactions: Dub

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Dead here again! Shooting tomorrow am here then load all back up, anyone loading anything or any new reloading members here?

Ammo shortages:
What the virus started, the riots finished. I think this is how it will be for a very long time now, at least through November, and for a long time beyond depending on the outcome.
Most waited way to long to start thinking about reloading it seems and now it is to late.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We had a range day today and it was packed, the bay next to us was all families, they shot 2 250 ct boxes, 9mm & 45 plus 22rf that was an expensive day for them and they left all the brass! We got all the 9 & 45. Brass and load day next week it sure looks like.
200 gr 45swcs and 155gr 9mm.

Jrabbit82

Fanatic
Shoot matches and you should get all the brass you would ever need, almost everyone I mentioned that to now has all they could ever need
Primers buy with a group in 5000 multiples
Bullets cast your own

Your cost will get to 22 rf or less, when I started many years back I discovered a whole new world in shooting,
I have been loading all my life it seems over 60 yrs I can document for sure.
I used to reload using a single stage press. Kiddos came along and it's been 10+ years, sold all my reloading equipment. I do save all my brass though. I have several ziplock bags full. I plan to buy a Dillion 650 (or should I go 750?)
My problem is, I need help in someone providing me a list of Dillion materials I'll need to order from reloading to be set up for 45ACP and 9mm. I guess I get overwhelmed looking through their website and don't know what all I need. I'd rather buy once and cry once. I have a Nighthawk President 45 ACP that is 5-8 months out. George had it on order already. I finally pulled the trigger on it. In the past, my 1st 1911 was a Springfield TRP. I then got my FFL and ordered a Springfield Professional from SACS. It was a brutal 22 month wait at that time. I no longer have my FFL or own a 1911. Sad I know. That will change here soon.

I read all 8 pages of this subject then registered and joined.
My main questions

Full Dillion set up (650 or 750?) and any upgrade options you recommend. That way once it's shipped and arrived, I'll have everything I'll need to reload 45 ACP and 9mm. I'll worry about my 5.56, 25-06, and 6mm Remington later. I know I'm asking for a lot of info, I just want to make sure I get everything that you think is needed or what you use. You guys have many decades of experience. I'm still a newb and have been out of the game for a long time.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to reload using a single stage press. Kiddos came along and it's been 10+ years, sold all my reloading equipment. I do save all my brass though. I have several ziplock bags full. I plan to buy a Dillion 650 (or should I go 750?)
My problem is, I need help in someone providing me a list of Dillion materials I'll need to order from reloading to be set up for 45ACP and 9mm. I guess I get overwhelmed looking through their website and don't know what all I need. I'd rather buy once and cry once. I have a Nighthawk President 45 ACP that is 5-8 months out. George had it on order already. I finally pulled the trigger on it. In the past, my 1st 1911 was a Springfield TRP. I then got my FFL and ordered a Springfield Professional from SACS. It was a brutal 22 month wait at that time. I no longer have my FFL or own a 1911. Sad I know. That will change here soon.

I read all 8 pages of this subject then registered and joined.
My main questions

Full Dillion set up (650 or 750?) and any upgrade options you recommend. That way once it's shipped and arrived, I'll have everything I'll need to reload 45 ACP and 9mm. I'll worry about my 5.56, 25-06, and 6mm Remington later. I know I'm asking for a lot of info, I just want to make sure I get everything that you think is needed or what you use. You guys have many decades of experience. I'm still a newb and have been out of the game for a long time.
They quit making the 650 , may find one used though . A lot of people bought loaders without shopping components first .

Jrabbit82

Fanatic
They quit making the 650 , may find one used though . A lot of people bought loaders without shopping components first .
Thanks for the info. My wife was going to get me the 650 for Valentine's Day many years back. She and one of my friends helped her spec out what I needed. I caught wind and told her to not get me one because I wouldn't have the time due to the kids. Our youngest started having seizures at 4 months of age. (Mutated gene. SN1A.. something like that). Since the weed bill thing passed in Oklahoma, his neurologist started prescribing EPIDIOLEX and it has basically stopped his seizures. I think he's had 2 in the last two years. Before, There would be days he would have 50 within 18 yours. That is why I told her not to order it. After finally getting his seizures under control after 7-8 VERY challenging years, I can't begin to describe the challenges, I think I can start doing the things again that I haven't been able to in 8 years. Still working on his behavior. Once his destructive nature/destroying our house ever gets under control, remodeling the house is on our list too. Shooting, reloading, etc. I got step 1 out of the way. My Nighthawk will arrive in several months. I said screw it, I've wanted another high end 1911 again for many years and George had a list of 1911's on order and I chose the NH President, Black out, IOS System, RMR plate, etc. I haven't spoiled myself in a long time.

I'll keep doing research on everything I'll need from Dillion. I emailed them several months back asking them the same questions, but never got a reply or I missed their reply.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I think you would be pleased with the Dillion 750 (650 is out of production). Mike Galway is correct, if you can't purchase primers or other reloading components on a consistent cost effective level, it may not be the best time to get into reloading...

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I am so thankful we decided in Feb-March 2020 to stock up on components and did so, it did/has I admit create some hard feelings that we will not sell any of them with the virus and election year plus the past experiences it was not very hard to see what was coming on components and we were right, we advised others but they paid no attention. Now a year later still very well stocked with no problems at all so far, after a lifetime of reloading many calibers you learn to keep components in bulk amounts. I personally think that it will be several years before we see any return to normally stocked shelves on components. The best way I have seen to acquire components needed is trading other reloaders for them. Good luck to all of you. Get an order in the system wait till notified with one of the large supply houses at least you should get it in the future do not skimp on quantities ask for quantity prices, get with friends to get the amounts needed, we ordered 70000 primers and finally did actually get them. Get powder in #8s'. Many options there that was the easy part.

Last edited:

Jrabbit82

Fanatic
I'll probably just wait then. Finding everything in stock will be an issue. Timing didn't work well for me on this. All good. I'll manage

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Disagree on waiting, prices will only increase not go down get items as you can Dillion can be months out on new loader shipping get it on order then it is done and over with.