Carry ammunition.....45ACP....

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
Corbon 200gr. I heard is excellent, But expensive. I carry Hornady Critduts 210s. Feed good in my Colt Combat Commander 4.25. My STI Hextac hates em. Turns into a jamomatic with them.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Speak for yourself. It's one of the main reasons I reload.

OK, so how do you plan upon defending it in court? Are you financially able to support the extra legal time it's going to take to go through it? In NJ vs. Bias, they put Danny Bias through Hell and eventually convicted him on the fourth try. I do doubt you're downloading the powder charge, but the case does serve as an example of the lengths the prosecution will go to in order to convict. The NH vs Kennedy case where the use of reloaded ammunition was successfully defended still required additional expert witness testimony. Are you really willing to go through that just because you want an extra 1/4" of accuracy at 25 yards when Federal HST will do just fine?

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Before I went to 357 SIG always carried Ranger T or Gold dots in 45 officers model, never reloads ever, you want nothing the defense could possible use if possible I promise. Before those I had Black Talon. Never ever reloads still feel the same way there, just my views no one's else. Also my dept policy, my policy and all I knew felt the same we even had class time on that with an attorney teaching it. Now same ammo as it works.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
LOL , I thought I was bad teasing my wife about being the first cave woman LOL .
I like the kindergarten line & Michael saying his wife was the 1st cave woman is a very brave man, but my sons says I am older than dirt, which made me crack up laughing. Thx guys...

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
The only thing we ever did with our reloads was for a dept qualification/match when we had to carry a revolver that was loading conical spire pointed bullets for reloads as there was nothing said against that the rest all used factory wad cutters, we were finished with our strings sometimes before others were even reloaded, partner and I there. They rest were not as I called them shooter material. I don't think some had ever reloaded under any pressure EVER.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
OK, so how do you plan upon defending it in court? Are you financially able to support the extra legal time it's going to take to go through it? In NJ vs. Bias, they put Danny Bias through Hell and eventually convicted him on the fourth try. I do doubt you're downloading the powder charge, but the case does serve as an example of the lengths the prosecution will go to in order to convict. The NH vs Kennedy case where the use of reloaded ammunition was successfully defended still required additional expert witness testimony. Are you really willing to go through that just because you want an extra 1/4" of accuracy at 25 yards when Federal HST will do just fine?
What are you talking about?

mley1

Fanatic
230grn HST and Gold Dots for my 45's. And either 124 or 147grn HST or Gold Dots for my 9's. Those loads run well in my pistols. And seem to work well based on the testing posted on YouTube by Luckygunner and others.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Talking about A$$hole prosecutors in totalitarian states taking multiple bites of the apple in search of a brain dead jury willing to convict.........NOT YOUR RELOADS, NOT your punisher back plate.
Well, have fun. I'm talking about carrying my reloads, and we're talking about carry ammo.

JC54

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry reloads. The bullets are Montana Golds, the powder is Titegroup.

When a 1911 has a problem with hollowpoints, (and some of them do, whether you've seen one or not) it's almost always the COL. Reloading lets me adjust that to each weapon.

Carrying reloads not only lets me adjust the load to each weapon, it also lets me train with what I carry. Commercial loads are too expensive for that.

And I don't trust loads I didn't load. Over the years, I've collected four rounds from different manufacturers that are The Most Dangerous Rounds In The World-- rounds with a dimple in the primer, because I pulled the trigger and they didn't fire.
"COL" ?
I've seen 1911's have problems with hollowpoints.
What is the COL?
(I don't reload. I carry 230 gr Gold Dots)

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
cartridge overall length

We had an academy class on reloads with the county prosecutor as the teacher he tore up a cadet on the reloads carry issue then asked him do you do the same testing as the major brands I wish to see your results! What you do not have those! Produce your liability policies! This dept specifies ammo is yours on the list? Why not? Did you submit it, who did your testing? This went on half an hour or more non stop. No way I would carry reloads for defense unless all I had. I have not changed but 1 time when we dropped Black Talons and went to Gold Dots & Ranger T. Did try some Black Hills and was excellent but was very short supply.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Those BT's got some years on them for sure, when my agency dropped them we had a case left at our range I was able to get for a trade of ball ammo 1 for 1 like the Ranger T here for me.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
This is easy. Buy a box or more of what you're considering in a defensive ammo and take your carry gun to the Range and try them out. See what you and your gun handle the best. According to all the ammo tests that I read, they all will accomplish what you want with accurate shots. When teaching in law enforcement one of the big problems I ran into was that the guys never practiced with their defensive loads in their EDC guns, saying the ammo was too expensive. Poor excuse. We had two practice sessions of the four we held where all the officers ran the training exercises and qualification with their duty ammo. More kick and not as much "fun" as the cheap ammo we used the other times, but important to shoot and practice with the ammo you carry. Had a S&W lightweight and I couldn't tolerate the recoil in +P ammo in the gun to practice with it. And this was .38 +P, not .357. So sold the gun. If I can't practice with it, won't carry it. I run at least one magazine of my carry ammo once a month and the rest of the time shoot my reloads or white box stuff. Too many people get the cool and comfortable carry gun; go out and pop for the expensive self defensive ammo (one box); load their gun and NEVER even run one round of the expensive stuff through their gun. They don't even know how the gun will handle the stuff, let alone how well they will shoot repeated or more rapid fire shooting. To close, again, practice regularly with your carry ammo and be damned the expense.

Latest posts