Carry ammunition.....45ACP....

Chuck43

Well-Known Fanatic
Why does the military use FMJ ball ammunition, it's not because they think it the best man killer ammo made.

Primarily the use of jacketed ammunition comes from the Hague conventions of 1899 and 1907. The United States didn't sign the 1899 convention which, among other things, outlawed the use of "bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body." This part of the document prohibited the use of exploding bullets and the more recent jacketed soft-point ammunition as well as very soft lead bullets and bullets with a cross or "X" on the nose (a.k.a. Dum Dum bullets). The United States did sign the later 1907 treaty which incorporated the 1899 limitations on warfare.

The Hague conventions sought to reduce the unnecessary suffering of soldiers and their families due to expanding/exploding ammunition.

I live in a heavily populated area and I carry a gun to help me get out of a bad situation. My carry ammo is Winchester Ranger T .45 230 gr. JHP, I never carry +P ammo. My concern is where that bullet is going after it penetrates it's intended target. In a perfect world a defensive round would make a .45 dia entrance hole, a 2' exit hole and drop to the ground 6" behind it's target but I'll never live to see anything like that.

Oltruckie

Active Fanatic
Prefered choices are Rem Golden Sabers, or Win Silvertips, then it's the old adage of any port in the storm with the plethora of loaded mags with 230 ball

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry reloads. The bullets are Montana Golds, the powder is Titegroup.

When a 1911 has a problem with hollowpoints, (and some of them do, whether you've seen one or not) it's almost always the COL. Reloading lets me adjust that to each weapon.

Carrying reloads not only lets me adjust the load to each weapon, it also lets me train with what I carry. Commercial loads are too expensive for that.

And I don't trust loads I didn't load. Over the years, I've collected four rounds from different manufacturers that are The Most Dangerous Rounds In The World-- rounds with a dimple in the primer, because I pulled the trigger and they didn't fire.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I prefer Federal HST, but still have some Hydra-Shoks around. Either is just fine.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry reloads. The bullets are Montana Golds, the powder is Titegroup.

When a 1911 has a problem with hollowpoints, (and some of them do, whether you've seen one or not) it's almost always the COL. Reloading lets me adjust that to each weapon.

Carrying reloads not only lets me adjust the load to each weapon, it also lets me train with what I carry. Commercial loads are too expensive for that.

And I don't trust loads I didn't load. Over the years, I've collected four rounds from different manufacturers that are The Most Dangerous Rounds In The World-- rounds with a dimple in the primer, because I pulled the trigger and they didn't fire.

I cannot build loads that are as high in quality as Federal HST. This is one reason why I use HST's over my own.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
I cannot build loads that are as high in quality as Federal HST. This is one reason why I use HST's over my own.
I don't know what to say to that. The main reason I reload is because every round I load is tailored to my weapon.

You can't buy ammunition that is tailored to your weapon.

Spokes

Well-Known Fanatic
When I happen to carry a 1911 now it would be my older model Kimber CDP. I carry 185 Grain Critical Defense. I can mange the recoil much better with that load and control my shots better ..

Last edited:

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
In .45acp: Federal HST 230gr or WWB 230gr JHP (Hey...the **** is laser accurate outta my guns...what can I say?)

In 9mm: Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p (duty ammo) or Federal HST 124gr

Nikrnic

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been carrying my '89 Springfield Defender, original looking tuned up sleeper by Doug Jones at Accurail. Corbon for food.
41e5a60967296b11fa93fd8dfb36a152.jpg
678f1caed6574684a24628979ca90308.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts