Carry ammunition.....45ACP....

Josh Smith

New Fanatic
I just carry Federal 230grn Hi-Shok. Expansion isn't as important to me in .45acp as in smaller calibers.

I'd really like to find a 230grn jacketed truncated point standard pressure load.

Regards,
Josh

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know what to say to that. The main reason I reload is because every round I load is tailored to my weapon.

You can't buy ammunition that is tailored to your weapon.

It is a pistol. You do not need to do that for 0-25 yard self-defense shooting, with the occasional 50 yard target.

Last edited:

HRColey

Fanatic
I carry Hornady Critical Defense in all of my 9mm pistols and Winchester Silver Tips In all of my .45 ACP pistols. The last thing I want is too much penetration with any firearm I carry in public. I don't want to have to shoot an attacker and have the bullet zip through the bad guy and hit someone's grandmother on the other side of the bad guy. Plus, while I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil, one can fire follow-up shots much quicker with 185 gr. bullets. Silver Tips have been working for twenty years or longer. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Retrieverman

Fanatic
I always carry a couple extra mags of Hornady Critical Defense, but I generally end up carrying 230 gr hard ball in the gun because I forget to change mags after practice.

I don't overthink ammo selection as long as I know my gun will run it reliably. I've killed enough wild pigs with 230 gr hard ball that I'm confident it'll work on humans too.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Remington Golden Sabers JHP...

I have a spare mag loaded with them at all times. I originally bought the box of 20 a few years ago when I bought my RIA full size 1911, and the Golden Sabers fed, cycled through, and shot on target without any problems at all. Good enough for me! :)

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Remington Golden Sabers JHP...

I have a spare mag loaded with them at all times. I originally bought the box of 20 a few years ago when I bought my RIA full size 1911, and the Golden Sabers fed, cycled through, and shot on target without any problems at all. Good enough for me! :)

Nice choice! I think it's the broad, round head of the Golden Sabers that make this hollow point feed so well.

1wildpig

Fanatic
Hello all... these ammo threads never end, right... lol
To the OP (from back in Sept of 18 ! ) What did you come up with ???

For defensive purposes, the requirement is shot placement with adequate penetration... round nose, flat nose, hollow point or SWC will all do the job if the bullet hits the right spot. The hotter, heavier ammo with a flat nose or SWC profile will be best for the bigger, tougher animals ...and would, of course, work great for human defense, but would be akin to using a 44 mag... and if in an urban setting, may just be a little too much.

The requirements are functional reliability and accuracy with shot placement and adequate penetration... whatever the target.
I prefer non plus P ammo for easier recoil control and less wear on the pistol.
If using for larger animal defense, the hotter, heavier bullets with a pistol set up to run them reliably would be the thing to have.

Last edited:

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I like Hornady Critical Defense rounds.
They have a good taper, feed great and expand well enough for the FBI to Use Them ‼️‼️

Welcome to the forum, Bill! Hornady Critical Defense makes a great round too! The key is what feeds best, and is the most reliable in your carry piece.

RStone

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not in the crowd that says "This is what you should shoot". Many variables including accuracy, second shot follow up, recoil, arthritic conditions, gun feeding issues, extraction issues. I would suggest running at least 50 rounds failure free before selecting that ammunition for use in self defense.

RickOShay

Well-Known Fanatic
I too carry Hydra Shok in my .45's. Though dated, at one time this ammunition carried an impressive pedigree. In everything else I carried Hornady Critical Defense. I still like the Hydra Shok, but I think the Critical Defense has a lot going for it in smaller calibers, plus I have a ton of Hydra Shok.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
If the thread goes long enough, someone will mention every single product from every single manufacturer.

At some point, that makes it worthless.

Arizona

New Fanatic
I entered the 1911 world both for nostalgia and because the 45 ACP benefits from but doesn't rely on ultra hip.hollow points. I run golden saber if I can get it hardball if I need to.

Latest posts