Are you a member of the NRA?

July19

Fanatic
No.

I will never re-join until and unless

1. Ted Nugent is removed from the Board of Directors
  2. A new feedback system is implemented for instructors to design the curriculums of NRA classes
  3. They stop losing election battles
They just got their collective asses kicked here in Washington State on I-1639. They are not the powerhouse they used to be, and LaPierre makes it worse every time he opens his mouth.

They still re-new my instructor creds each year as long as I'm involved in X number of NRA classes. I guess you guys are paying for my instructor creds. Received any pleas for money lately saying they're desperately broke? They have a lot to learn about managing money.

Ted Nugent doesn't bother me but I am disappointed with their WA State failures. The liberals here are eating their lunch. Apparently they don't know what to do.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing to keep in mind, the NRA can not prevent the crooked law makers from doing their will.
Just as law enforcement shouldn't be your 1st line of defense, the NRA isn't an organization to prevent Politicians from whittling away your 2nd Amendment rights. If you can understand that they are a lobbyist organization, you can actually wrap your head around the idea that the NRA, or any other organization, can't prevent the Politicians from doing what the Leftist voters desire. In Washington state, the Liberal leftist hippies are driving the Partridge Family bus. They are the reason for the shift in policy, laws and ideology in general, NOT the NRA.

Many like to point fingers at the NRA, one really needs to comprehend the root of the issue. Just as the gun isn't to blame in a mass shooting, the NRA isn't to blame for our eroding 2nd Amendment rights. You really only have a few choices. Support an organization that is TRYING to maintain your rights, get involved in Politics to change the liberal shift from within, or simply move to a state that more agrees with your position.

"The NRA's mission statement, summarized from its bylaws, is: "To protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, especially with reference to the inalienable right of the individual American citizen guaranteed by such Constitution to acquire, possess, collect, exhibit, transport, carry, transfer ownership of, and enjoy the right to use arms." The statement also includes a focus on promoting public safety, training in the safe and efficient handling of small arms, hunter safety, and shooting sport promotion." Newsmax.com

For those that simply want to ride the NRA's shirt tales by taking and not giving back, I have one thing to say. Lead, follow or get the fawk out of the way.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
NRA Life Benefactor member and a "Golden Eagle"as well. I also belong to GOA but don't believe that they have the same potential impact. I don't always go along with some of the NRA's positions, but they're the strongest organization "in the ring".

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
The NRA situation is not as simple or clear-cut as it may seem to some. I travel a lot by car and have taken to loading podcasts on my iPad to listen as I drive. I recently listened to three episodes of the Concealed Carry podcast that were interesting interviews of people with insight into the pros and cons of the NRA. Link and description below.

Episode 288: Why I'm Leaving the NRA – Maj Toure, founder of Black Guns Matter
Episode 292: Don't Give Up on the NRA – Duane Liptak of Magpul, recently elected NRA board member
Episode 294: The Enemy Within the NRA, Adam Kraut, a guy who has run for the NRA board a couple of times

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry, I tried to listen to the Concealed Carry podcasts and had a very hard time finding the supposed primary points - mainly because all of the podcasts run on for over an hour. One of the basic principles of public speaking is to identify your major points or objectives at the beginning of a lecture and then support your position without rambling on about other, frequently unrelated topics. I don't have time (or won't spend it) listening to lengthy podcasts by people who get paid to do them and "guests" who have some broad agenda that they want to describe in nauseating detail. The only one of those podcasts that was reasonably well focused was the one by Duane Liptak. Adam Kraut hasn't been elected to the Board because nobody knows who he is and he hasn't made a very strong argument as to why he should replace someone who's up for re-election.

I don't subscribe to the Concealed Carry "forum" and I don't buy their insurance. In my view it's a poor investment as an insurance product - just like other "limited casualty" products being sold in today's market. They are a "for profit" business that has targeted the growing concealed carry community. Just my opinion. You're entitled to your own and how you choose to spend your money.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Well know some like this loser but he is nothing but a Poacher and a Draft Dodger to me. Got over it with the NRA now that they have a muzzle on him. Jezzzzzz there are limits to what I can overlook just because someone supports the cause...

Meh........not my place to judge others, I dont know the 1st hand details.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
They aren't lectures. They are interviews.

I didn't spend any money for them.

You seem to have made a significant number of misguided assumptions about me and my interest/support/views/whatever based on my just providing a few links I thought some people might find interesting.

You also seem to have confused the people who produce the podcast with the USCCA, which is an organization that sells an insurance plan, was founded by a man named Tim Schmidt and as far as I can find has no relation.

You are also entitled to an opinion, but maybe you should spend less time having opinions and more time paying attention.

Sorry, I tried to listen to the Concealed Carry podcasts and had a very hard time finding the supposed primary points - mainly because all of the podcasts run on for over an hour. One of the basic principles of public speaking is to identify your major points or objectives at the beginning of a lecture and then support your position without rambling on about other, frequently unrelated topics. I don't have time (or won't spend it) listening to lengthy podcasts by people who get paid to do them and "guests" who have some broad agenda that they want to describe in nauseating detail. The only one of those podcasts that was reasonably well focused was the one by Duane Liptak. Adam Kraut hasn't been elected to the Board because nobody knows who he is and he hasn't made a very strong argument as to why he should replace someone who's up for re-election.

I don't subscribe to the Concealed Carry "forum" and I don't buy their insurance. In my view it's a poor investment as an insurance product - just like other "limited casualty" products being sold in today's market. They are a "for profit" business that has targeted the growing concealed carry community. Just my opinion. You're entitled to your own and how you choose to spend your money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
My mistake with regard to the USCCA connection. That means that my last paragraph was totally off the mark. I wasn't criticizing you, I was commenting on the interviews.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
I understand. My post does not constitute an endorsement of any of the related parties. I know nothing about a related forum, nor am I a member of the unrelated USCCA.

But I did find the interviews interesting, if lengthy. On a 14-hour drive time is the one thing I have in excess.

Without regard to specific views, it seemed that each individual had invested more of their personal time and effort into working within the NRA than I have. I am quite skeptical of my ability to influence large organizations. Hearing from people with a different perspective was of interest to me.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
I also understand - especially since you listened to those interviews during a 14 hour drive. Listening to people with a different perspective is definitely a good idea, if only to find out what you might be up against.
Peace be with you.

jne

Pedro

Fanatic
I"m a yearly member of the NRA, GOA, NAGR and a state organization.
Thanks to @fatbaldguy post, I'll join the SAF.
Pedro.,

Last edited:

Latest posts