AR Triggers

Whiten

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm looking to upgrade to a better trigger than the mil spec that came in my AR. This AR is my only one so the trigger must be a do all, nothing so light I would be uneasy using as bedside gun. I was looking at the Geissele line of combat triggers or the 3gun with 4lb spring.

https://geissele.com/lower-parts/triggers.html

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
The Larue MBT trigger is greatly reviewer, but has a rather unconventionally shaped trigger shoe.

Timney skeleton drop in is a great single stage

AR Gold drop in trigger is great, a bit costly

The Geissele SSA, SD-C and SSA-E are all phenomenal triggers, but pricey.

If you can get past the trigger shoe shape, the Larue trigger is an extremely great buy at about $85

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
ALG is a good lower priced trigger but Geissele rules then all.

I'm running the SD-3G with the 4lbs spring. It is an awesome trigger. It is light enough to make quality shots but not scary light. It is very fast to reset and press again. The only issue is I burn though ammo faster.

But I would listen to Bender. He has almost every brand of AR trigger ever made.;)

Whiten

Well-Known Fanatic
I just went and looked at Larue, looks like a wide flat but curved shoe. I like the wide flat Apex trigger in my Glock.

89ae11944a48da4cd7d77a5b69edb245.jpg

APEX102112-a.jpg

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
ALG is a good lower priced trigger but Geissele rules then all.

I'm running the SD-3G with the 4lbs spring. It is an awesome trigger. It is light enough to make quality shots but not scary light. It is very fast to reset and press again. The only issue is I burn though ammo faster.

But I would listen to Bender. He has almost every brand of AR trigger ever made.;)

The ALG ACT trigger is a good unit for $67.

That 3G trigger is great but the reset is nearly nonexistent, at least to me. I had one and was regularly double tapping. It was replaced with an SSA

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Geissele ssp. Done. Have one in my shorty closet gun. If you want to spend your money I can help.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Geissele ssp. Done. Have one in my shorty closet gun. If you want to spend your money I can help.
I have to add the Rock River Arms triggers. The National Match is 4.5 lbs, the Varmint is 3.5 lbs. Both can be had for $80. Both are two stage .

Might just be me, and I'm a trigger snob, but I have not found anything out there that feels any better for 3x the cost. Just need to keep grease on the trigger/sear.

If you like single stage, CMC makes a beautiful trigger for $160.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Those RRA triggers generally fail at around 5k rounds fired.
I no longer use them at any cost.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Those RRA triggers generally fail at around 5k rounds fired.
I no longer use them at any cost.
I find if you don't keep them greased they can get squishy at about 5000. But never had an issue once a fellow on another forum shared that tidbit.

Even if it did, for only $80 you're back in the game.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I had one fail at around 3.5k
Upon researching, I found hundreds of RRA trigger failures going back to 2011.

They may work well for some, but a trigger that is KNOWN to fail, just isn't for me.

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
I had one fail at around 3.5k
Upon researching, I found hundreds of RRA trigger failures going back to 2011.

They may work well for some, but a trigger that is KNOWN to fail, just isn't for me.

The only thing I've read is they may get mushy in the second stage. I've never experienced it.

Do you mean failure as in not working? I've never heard a report like that . I also know quite a few people that use them and not one problem.

It's fine if we disagree. I am just genuinely interested in your experience with them.. or maybe experience of people you know , or what you have read in reports.

Back to my question, what do you mean when you say failure ?

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Say Bender,

What say we take the discussion to pm. I respect your opinion a lot and am interested in learning more . I don't want to jack the thread with a discussion over just one trigger.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok......

The RRA triggers have had failures all the way back to 2011. I quit using them in about 2014. A pin that holds the disconnector fails. If you're lucky, you only lose the 1st stage. If you're unlucky, it jams the trigger as a blown primer would, rendering the trigger useless.

Badibing' mentioned that they have replaced the pin with a larger or stronger one. I really haven't followed them recently.

A while back, RRA, along with Springfield were exposed donating funds to anti-gun politicians. It has been discussed a great deal in the last few years. Info can be easily found on Google, I simply don't deal with either anymore. They were selling out Illinois residents, funny since they live here too.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I was going to try RRA in my budget. 50 Beo. After @Bender's post I think it might get an ALG.

That or the Larue.....both are great. The Larue has a better break and is made from tool steel. I have one, the only issue is the shape feels different and takes getting used to.