3 Gun at OKC Gun Club Saturday Nov. 24th

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk, what do you think about getting our friends at OG&E to put some 30' telephone poles up.
One at the north end of long range and the other where we called stage one Saturday.
Get a trolly cable set up with a platform at each end.
Set up all bays with targets.
On buzzer we push shooter off and as he/she is carried from one end to the other must shoot targets as they become visable.

What say you Burk?
Plan or Ban, Bid or Forbid?

This is totally incomprehensible. I can't believe you said that.

Burk has friends?

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Just do one pole. Shooter has to climb to the top and stand on one foot while shooting through a pallet while everyone else throws rotten fruit at the shooter.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
You could probably setup something when a shooter rides in the back of that ranger. Good times..

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I've done a couple "back of the truck" matches, but always with a handgun. A rifle would be cool....

Difficult part of coordinating that would be making sure the ranger makes the run at a consistent speed and path so no one gets an advantage of disadvantage.

Maybe do something where the range drives to a set spot and sits for a specific amount of time, then moves on? Otherwise they'd have to get a 3rd party not participating that could drive for every shooter and had a good sense of speed to make sure they were consistent.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
They used a 4x4 duct taped under the accelerator as a governor. That kept it consistent for each shooter.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey, when you guys shoot 3 Gun, do you use special ammo for shotgun and pistol with more power to knock down the steal? Just wondering if using regular target ammo for 9mm and 12 gauge will be enough or what?

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I just wondered because there was a couple times some of the guys had to hit the steal shotgun and pistol targets a couple times before they fell. Didn't know if that was because their ammo was under powered, glancing shots, or if the targets were just being a pain.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I just wondered because there was a couple times some of the guys had to hit the steal shotgun and pistol targets a couple times before they fell. Didn't know if that was because their ammo was under powered, glancing shots, or if the targets were just being a pain.

If those shots were on those small knock down plates with the lip on the front its because those plates are made with the lip so that they can't spin. Well they work in that they almost never spin but they don't fall very easy either. They are a poor design IMHO.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
They used a 4x4 duct taped under the accelerator as a governor. That kept it consistent for each shooter.

That sorta thing is never gonna happen at a club match. It's too inconsistent and quite frankly dangerous. It was bordering on unsafe at that match with us clearly breaking the 180 shooting at an angle backwards.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
If those shots were on those small knock down plates with the lip on the front its because those plates are made with the lip so that they can't spin. Well they work in that they almost never spin but they don't fall very easy either. They are a poor design IMHO.

It was the 5 shotgun steal targets on the first "bay" or whatever you guys called it, and if I recall correctly the wheel seemed to have a little more trouble than those little plates.

It might have been for a different type of competition but I thought I read on here that you shouldn't shoot with anything less than a .40. I got a Glock 17 for a duty weapon and since I'm tricking out the sights and added more magazine capacity I was hoping I could use it for the local 3-gun stuff when I get a rifle.

That sorta thing is never gonna happen at a club match. It's too inconsistent and quite frankly dangerous. It was bordering on unsafe at that match with us clearly breaking the 180 shooting at an angle backwards.

Yeah, but it sure would be fun... heh

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic

A lot of this problem can also be choke tube selection. Using an open or skeet choke may not get enough pattern to knock down the steel. I used Winchester #8 dove loads and a Light Modified choke and went 1 for 1 on all shotgun targets.

Latest posts