What 1911 brands to avoid?

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got an Alpha Foxtrot 1911C. Smoothest 1911 I've ever had. And I've had a Baer, a dozen different Springfields, and 8 Colts. The only issue I've had is the thread protector will unscrew after about a hundred rounds.

As far as brands to avoid…. Taurus (out of spec) Ruger(cast), Baer,( he's a prick and the guns aren't that great), Girsan(the couple I've seen were pretty rough). Those are the ones I'd not even look at. I like Tisas. I wouldn't worry about the recall. I think they probably just got sear spring pressure a little too light. The one I have has a consistent 3.75 lb trigger and very crisp. I also like Colt, Springfield, Alchemy, Bul, Wilson, and Nighthawk. I think Nighthawk is probably one of the best builders right now.
The cast RUGER lasts forever....

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's another thread where I thought I'd responded, but didn't..
1st 1911 was an early Series 80 Gold Cup..1st box of shell I shot, the front sight fell off. Not too long after that the factory "skeletonized" barrel bushing broke.
I wanted to but an AMT 1911, as they were the 1st SS 1911 I'd seen, & I like SS pistols. ( AMT doesn't make 1911's anymore, so I'd stay away from them. )
My gunsmith talked me out of an AMT, told me to buy a Springfield Armory., so I did. Still have the Colt & Springfield..as well as more of the same brand..different sizes & calibers. No regrets.

As many posted, all brands have "good" / "satisfactory"/ and "lemon" products...that get sold. What is more important is how well the manufacturer stands behind their products. I've avoided buying the big name / semi-customs, as I don't feel their added cost is worth their improved appearance and accuracy justifies their added cost . May be worth it to others, just not to me..though I do have a few modified 1911's, and have had skilled work done to modify a few I own.

I've posted this pic in other threads, showing that I have had some experience with 1911's I'veowned :1911 collectr8ion.JPG

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's another thread where I thought I'd responded, but didn't..
1st 1911 was an early Series 80 Gold Cup..1st box of shell I shot, the front sight fell off. Not too long after that the factory "skeletonized" barrel bushing broke.
I wanted to but an AMT 1911, as they were the 1st SS 1911 I'd seen, & I like SS pistols. ( AMT doesn't make 1911's anymore, so I'd stay away from them. )
My gunsmith talked me out of an AMT, told me to buy a Springfield Armory., so I did. Still have the Colt & Springfield..as well as more of the same brand..different sizes & calibers. No regrets.

As many posted, all brands have "good" / "satisfactory"/ and "lemon" products...that get sold. What is more important is how well the manufacturer stands behind their products. I've avoided buying the big name / semi-customs, as I don't feel their added cost is worth their improved appearance and accuracy justifies their added cost . May be worth it to others, just not to me..though I do have a few modified 1911's, and have had skilled work done to modify a few I own.

I've posted this pic in other threads, showing that I have had some experience with 1911's I'veowned :View attachment 35004
Wow nice family!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
should have caught & responded to this..:
" Thank you for the info on Rossi. I really want on of their m92 lever actions in 357 mag. "

I thought it'd be nice to have a 357 lever gun to go along with my Marlin 1894 (44 mag) Winchester released a copy of their 1892 years ago, looked @ one @ a LGS that just got one in . Very nice rifle, but priced @ > $ 1 K, it was priced way more than I wanted to spend for another range tool. A couple of years ago I looked for, & purchased a Rossi M 92 in .357.. it's a beautiful looking rifle, Has nice looking wood and receiver & barrel look blued, bot painted or powder coated. Bought a new one as I'd looked at a used rifle ( same rifle) that was priced higher than the new one.

So far, I've discovered several issues with it. 1st (worst) is :when trying to load the rifle, bullets get hung up , just inside the loading gate, making it very hard to get rds. loaded. I eventually loaded about 8 rds with bullet ( no powder or primer,) loaded them in the rifle & stored it away. This eventually weakened the tubular magazine spring a bit, so it's a little easier to load. 2nd issue is: ejecting fired cases, they get thrown WAY behind you..ejector spring (?) is too strong & sends m/t cases flying. great distances. Accuracy is pretty good, but no provision for mounting a scope, which was a bit disappointing to learn. I scope my rifles so I can shoot them accurately... About 25 yds is all the iron sights on the Rossi + my eyes , are good for..

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
should have caught & responded to this..:
" Thank you for the info on Rossi. I really want on of their m92 lever actions in 357 mag. "

I thought it'd be nice to have a 357 lever gun to go along with my Marlin 1894 (44 mag) Winchester released a copy of their 1892 years ago, looked @ one @ a LGS that just got one in . Very nice rifle, but priced @ > $ 1 K, it was priced way more than I wanted to spend for another range tool. A couple of years ago I looked for, & purchased a Rossi M 92 in .357.. it's a beautiful looking rifle, Has nice looking wood and receiver & barrel look blued, bot painted or powder coated. Bought a new one as I'd looked at a used rifle ( same rifle) that was priced higher than the new one.

So far, I've discovered several issues with it. 1st (worst) is :when trying to load the rifle, bullets get hung up , just inside the loading gate, making it very hard to get rds. loaded. I eventually loaded about 8 rds with bullet ( no powder or primer,) loaded them in the rifle & stored it away. This eventually weakened the tubular magazine spring a bit, so it's a little easier to load. 2nd issue is: ejecting fired cases, they get thrown WAY behind you..ejector spring (?) is too strong & sends m/t cases flying. great distances. Accuracy is pretty good, but no provision for mounting a scope, which was a bit disappointing to learn. I scope my rifles so I can shoot them accurately... About 25 yds is all the iron sights on the Rossi + my eyes , are good for..
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate it. For the time being, this gun is on indefinite hold. When I find a used one on Gun Broker they go for nearly the price of a brand new one as you said. Disappointing to say the least. Good to hear from someone that owns on, and get first hand knowledge re: said gun.
Thank you again.

I'm back in the market looking for a 1911 - do you have any countries or brands you avoid?

I've been checking out other forums and even /r/1911; I've seen several folks suggest staying away from Kimber or Taurus.
I would appreciate your feedback as I start down this path again.
Hello, I have a Remington R1 I bought new when they started building them again(in Ilion, NY). It hasn't failed at all from right out of the box. I bought a new Tisas Service Model right before Christmas for $333.00 and it comes with 2 eight round MecGar magazines and it emptied both of them flawlessly first time out. Now I do disassemble, clean and oil all my new guns before I go shoot them whether they need it or not. The machining is great on the Tisas, no flaws anywhere that I have found. My shooting partner bought a new Tisas US Army Model, and it hasn't failed right out of the box either. The Tisas 1911's have a hammer forged steel frame, slide, and barrel. I really like them.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." I have one - perfect fit/finish, fantastically-handy for carry,.."
This is true about all the polymer framed pistols I've owned / tried.
Unable to shoot any of them as accurately as any of my 1911's..despite putting rds.thru them , trying.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
.." I have one - perfect fit/finish, fantastically-handy for carry,.."
This is true about all the polymer framed pistols I've owned / tried.
Unable to shoot any of them as accurately as any of my 1911's..despite putting rds.thru them , trying.
I was thinking it was just me. Shoot Glock 17 better than Glock 19, but will still take n
My 1911 or Hi Powers over anything else

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I avoid anything not American-made. And avoid the low-rent stuff from Auto Ordnance and Kimber.

First shelf: Colt, Springfield, et al
Second shelf: Dan Wesson
Third Shelf: Alchemy and Les Baer
Fourth Shelf: Wilson and Nighthawk
Top shelf: the custom makers like D&L Sports, Krebs, etc

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
While I've been out of the 1911 purchasing game for a couple years (other hobbies have taken over, I bought a 22' Challenger Super Stock and building the wife a 56' Chevy 3100 wrecker so the car world has been first priority) I have had cheap 1911s that have been fine with no issues. I fell for the Kimber advertising and my very first 1911 was a Custom II that still own and has been flawless but I would not buy any of their "higher end" models. Too much bling for me and I don't see the value in them.

I did Dan Wesson for a while and had quite a few and they make a great base gun for custom builds along with Colts but when they were bought out I moved on and sold all of them off. The only exception would probably be one of their A2s in commander size. I've switched to commander size for all of my pistols except my one one Kimber.

The rest of my collection is a mishmash of various 1911s from Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Guncrafter and Wilson Combat and a Coonan all in commander or officer size.

I won't say to stay away from the cheaper ones because I've had a few that were great but too many unknowns with quality. I learned you get what you pay for and will stick with the moderate priced semi custom manufacturers.

Nikrnic

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm back in the market looking for a 1911 - do you have any countries or brands you avoid?

I've been checking out other forums and even /r/1911; I've seen several folks suggest staying away from Kimber or Taurus.
I think the best bang for the buck (@ $799) for a quality built 1911 pistol for you to check out is the Springfield Armory Garrison.

Nikrnic

Well-Known Fanatic

I Highly recommend the new Springfield Armory Garrison. @ 799.
Check it out, plenty of videos.

n2spilot

Fanatic
I'm another one that highly recommends the Springfield Armory Garrison. The bluing on my gun is flawless, it's got a great trigger and I love the fact it has no forward serrations.

Although it's been discontinued (shame on you Springfield Armory), I also recommend the original Range Officer with 5" barrel and BoMar-type sights. They are extremely accurate and since they're now allowed in CMP Service Match competition, it's a great pistol for getting into bullseye shooting. You can still find them under $1000.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
It blows my mind how many people say this gun is bad don't buy it and others say I've had lots of these and they all ran great. People complain about Kimbers. I do think that with Kimber you're paying for the finishes and that's just not my thing. We do have several Kimbers in our family and none of them have had an issue. The wife and I both carried a micro nine laser for years and have shot thousands of rounds through them. They're fantastic. I've had nothing but great success with Dan Wessons. Smith and Wesson on the other hand has been hit or miss. I really think the shield plus is a good unit but that the CSX sucks donkey balls. I also had problems with Girsan and with Tisas.

Just goes to show that you never know.

grainfed

Fanatic
My LGS has plenty of 1911's and lots of Colts. Over the last year or so, the Colts have the WORST triggers and thumb safeties I have ever checked. The thumb safeties must have been file on and fitted by some monkey on a bench that was out of bananas, and they are asking $1500 for the Commander. CZ needs to do something fast, IMO, with the crew of gunsmiths building those Colts. I've got a Tisas Raider, Tank Commander and Stingray that run like my Baer Super Tac and my Wesson Valor, and all 3 were less than $500. I found no reason to fit any new parts in any of the Turkish guns as they were fit properly and just work. My old Smith 3 inch .45 has been flawless for over 12 years. The Prodigy was crap out of the box and had to work on the disconnector issue which fixed it. SA Garrison, my old TRP full rail, old Range Officer with a Barsto is also perfect. Picked up a Baer Monolith Stinger in 9mm lately and it was junk. Had fit a new extractor and slide stop for it to act right and now it's good to go. I think many early RIA's et al had out-of-spec frames for fitting upgraded parts but lately they seem to be better. The 3 Turks that I have all are dead on as to spec and work well. I'm never concerned about frame to slide fit compared to barrel lock-up at the muzzle end. I'll fit a new bushing if there's slop there and accuracy then gets tight. I'd like to see H&K make a 1911, just for fun, to see what they could do. At least it would have an external extractor!

Trooper343

Fanatic
Hi @Turkey ,
For me it's not a matter of what brands I'd avoid, but what manufacturers I like. I don't know what your budget is, but I've found that Les Baer packs a lot of value into their 1911s, and they can be purchased for a reasonable price on the secondary market. Also, "CJ" sells them new at a pretty good price, although some folks find him to be disagreeable. If semi-custom isn't your thing, I've owned a number of Colts and they were all very good right out of the box. Please keep us posted on how your search goes!
Best,
Tom
I totally agree with you about Les Baer, and their customer service is fantastic, even had Les Baer answer the phone when I called about a minor problem. Every time I think about about buying a Kimber, without fail I start seeing multiple posts about malfunctions owners are having with their Kimber. Needless to say I have never purchased a Kimber. OBTW, I bought my Les Baer from CJ, and I think we had about a thirty minute, two cups of coffee conversation, most enjoyable!

A34

Fanatic

So, 5 pages in and a month later, OP have you purchased one? Tell us what you got and give us a range report!

Attachments

• IMG_1605.JPG
    IMG_1605.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts