What 1911 brands to avoid?

Turkey

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm back in the market looking for a 1911 - do you have any countries or brands you avoid?

I've been checking out other forums and even /r/1911; I've seen several folks suggest staying away from Kimber or Taurus.
I would appreciate your feedback as I start down this path again.

Cop_Out

Active Fanatic
Hi @Turkey ,
For me it's not a matter of what brands I'd avoid, but what manufacturers I like. I don't know what your budget is, but I've found that Les Baer packs a lot of value into their 1911s, and they can be purchased for a reasonable price on the secondary market. Also, "CJ" sells them new at a pretty good price, although some folks find him to be disagreeable. If semi-custom isn't your thing, I've owned a number of Colts and they were all very good right out of the box. Please keep us posted on how your search goes!
Best,
Tom

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
This question will for sure bring out people's personal basis.

I avoid any brand that uses a cast frame. I am sure supporters will say they are fine, but I want forged frame. Some people hate any 1911's with MIM parts. I choose brands with a minimum of MIM parts, but don't rush to replace them.

You mentioned Kimber and Taurus. While I don't have any intention of buying either one based strictly off what I have seen at various ranges, These brands still have a strong following.

Knowing your intent and price range might help with recommendations.

cxm

Active Fanatic
I avoid any pistol made in Brazil and anything Kimber. Also won't buy Ruger.

As to ones I like, for opening price point guns I like Rock Island and Girsan which are solid basic guns at very good prices. Of course Colt's are always a good choice and the S&W product is excellent as well. I expect SIG's version would be good too and I have been told the short lived Remington is good too.

I avoid Springfield because at least some of their 1911s have frames not in spec size wise, being slightly too large.

FWIW

Chuck

tsquare

New Fanatic
As far as certain 1911,s to avoid I guess it just depends. I've never owned a 1911 that didn't serve its intended purpose for me. I learned and studied as much as I could about the gun. Also my budget dictated what I would often buy. There is so many models these days and I couldn't truly answer the question correctly. I have models I like , some more then others and also there intended purpose. Studying, reading reviews and knowing the intended purpose, price should get you a satisfactory pistol.

TexasTony

Fanatic
Kimber is well know as one to avoid. I have had spotty success with DWs as well. If you do get a DW, shoot the snot out of it as they only have a one year warranty to find out if it has issues. Also don't use Hoppes #9 on their "Duty Coating" as it will wreck it. I have had a lot of problems with Colt, too but now mine runs great--just not with HPs.

Honestly? I think it is a crap shoot on whether you will have issues or not. Ruger, Smith & Sig seem to have a consistently good reputation as far as 1911s go.

I love 1911s but don't carry them for personal protection anymore. YMMV

50GI-Jess

Fanatic
I'm back in the market looking for a 1911 - do you have any countries or brands you avoid?

I've been checking out other forums and even /r/1911; I've seen several folks suggest staying away from Kimber or Taurus.
I would appreciate your feedback as I start down this path again.
In my opinion, stay away from anything under $1K. exept Tisas.
Unless you know how to upgrade the your self. Or it's strictly a backyard plinker.
The best quality assembly line 1911 platform is Dan Wesson. Not completely fitted like a true custom but close.
I worked for WC for many years, working on customer owned 1911's. Most were upgraded with a reliabilty package. Others had a complete custom job.
One has to keep in mind, if the base gun is mixed bag quality, it will take a lot of work and effort to turn it into a true custom worth the money. And it can easily cost between 2 to 4K.
In other words, there is no short cut to success here, and it's expensive.
In my experience, it's best to cry once, and buy what you really need and want from the start. And sometimes you will save money that way.
Plus it's easier to resell a known product if needed be. Not to mention your covered by warrenty and customer service.

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
The only "bad" 1911's I've had over the years were from the Philippines back in the day. They were really bad back then. Very rough finish, slide to frame fit, dirty out of the box with metal shavings at times, you get the idea. I went through several of them before going for the more expensive brands. But that being said, I've had a bad Sig, a questionable Taurus, and a very cantankerous High Standard. I think all of the makers have good and bad days where someone lets one slide that should have been thrown off the line. If you are starting off, to no one here's surprise, I'd point you to the new Tisas line. Plenty on here about them. Yesterday I saw that they were picked to supply the CMP with their guns. Nice vote for them on that score. When you find one you like, spend some time searching that model online for reviews, they'll be no shortage of them to read/watch.
Have fun searching, and then shooting!

Last edited:

dsj

New Fanatic
Sorry to see all of the negative thoughts on Kimber. I have a Kimber and it has been nothing short of flawless, but I have had it for more than 15 years. No failures to feed or fire, no matter what type of ammunition I have run through it. It was one of the higher end Kimber's and fairly expensive at the time, so I suppose that the saying is true: you don't always get what you pay for, but you never get what you don't pay for. I also have a CMP surplus 1911, a real mix-master when you look at it closely, that will run 230 grain fmj's all day long without a hitch.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I remember folks talking about Les Baer, Gun Crafters, etc., which were great brands.

Cast parts definitely stay away. I remember growing up really liking Para Ordnance, but they sold out to the Freedom Group - so I'd avoid them as well.

Snowman45

Fanatic
I prefer forged over cast, so pistols made with cast frames are out for me. While I prefer forged over MIM, the technology has seemed to have improved to a degree that you rarely hear of problems with current production guns. Another thing that has a bearing on how likely I am to purchase is how far removed a pistol is from traditional. Light rails are ok for some, but I'm not a big fan (just too damned old). Nor do I care for external extractors. I like Colts and Springfields, primarily. Further, I have not seen many complaints with the Tisas or Gersan guns. Their forging and machining seems to be on par with American manufacturers.

crimsondave

New Fanatic
I had a Kimber, never again. It was junk. I know some people have had good luck with them but I'm done with them. I've been told the Kimbers from Oregon were very good pistols, but I've never owned one. I've had good luck with later Colts, like the last 20 years. My gunsmith told me Colts had some issues in the early 90s and that matched up with one I owned from that era that had some issues. I now have 2 2010+ Colts with some reliability mods from my gunsmith that I wouldn't trade for anything. My father has had good luck with Springfields.

SMP

New Fanatic
Well I've gotten rid of my Kimbers (except for an early 2000 one) and Para-Ordnance, so I guess that's part of the answer. Other than that I think there is a bais against non-Colt brands. One of my best 1911's is a Tisas. I seem to have found the older 1911's were well built and received a bad rap because of everyone becoming home gunsmiths.

2aCrisis

Fanatic
My opinion is to be able to look at and handle any Gun I buy. I will not buy anything I can't appraise myself.. you might find the perfect Kimber or Taurus if you can look it over first. I have a Tisas and a Springfield, both work great but they weren't my first choice. I handle a lot of guns before laying out the cash..

woodlands747

Well-Known Fanatic
I will offer my very limited experience here. I have owned 3 1911's in this order.
A Ruger SR1911(2012 appr), Springfield Armory Range Officer(2013 appr), and a Dan Wesson Valor(2016).
All 3 made trips back to the factory for issues, mostly minor but needed attention. All 3 were reliable.
Based on that experience I would not buy another Ruger just because I don't feel they are of the same quality as the other 2. Cast frame and slide and very loosely fit. **Correction: Ruger slide is machined bar stock I believe.
SA and Dan Wesson are forged and tightly fit with the Dan Wesson Valor being the tightest. I still own the Valor.
The other reason I would not buy anything Ruger is a recent nightmare experience with their LCP II. All I need to say is they gave me a refund after 3 trips back to the factory.

Last edited:

dhawk46

Active Fanatic
My experience is pretty much focused on Colt. I have, over the years, owned a couple of Kimber 1911's, but sold them. My EDC for many years has been a Colt LW Officer's Model, and I own a few Gov't models and two LW Commanders. Never unhappy with any of them. Stick with Colt...

Latest posts