This one or that one - another Colt vs Kimber thread

Rooster

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't overlook the Ruger lightweight Commander. It's a joy to carry.
I've looked at these off and on and have always walked away with a good impression. I think it is very well done and one of the best in its price point. I've never shot one to know if they work as nice as they look.

I own four Colt pistols two 38 Super!'s and two 45's all shoot very well, seems that Colt has always built their pistols with sum what loose tolerances , but I love Colt 1911's guess I'm just a fan boy.
On the other hand I also own three Dan Wesson's -Valor V-Bob Stainless Commander 45, Valor Stainless 10mm and a Valkyrie Commander 9 mm .
For the money you can't beat Dan Wesson fit, finish , quality, accuracy I'm looking to add an A2 model to my collection real soon. For what you get with a Dan Wesson, they should be selling in a higher price range.
Shhhh! They might read this thread and raise the prices. I still want another DW and my income is fixed.

d

Taylor

New Fanatic
Ruger steel frame Commander sold for $505 yesterday on Gunbroker. Keep an eye out GB and there are some decent deals now and then.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Evening, I'm looking for a commander sized pistola. Stainless steel, because I don't have one and I want one. Under $1k. I can get a Colt combat commander or a Kimber TLE Pro within my budget. Which one and why...go.
I have several Kimbers and like them all, Custom 2 I've had black nitrided, Dawson fiber optics and magwell my go to CDP pistol. My favorite 5" 9mm is a Desert Eagle, they are made by Bul Ltd in Israel, it's amazing for the money, 700ish, it's my ESP pistol, had a commander and just as impressive, sold to a friend who had to have it. I have one Colt and I would choose Kimbers or Desert Eagle but that's me

david_root2000

Fanatic
I usually stay out of these.

My thoughts. I have 3 colts. They all work with no problems but were bought used. One is a 1928, one is a 1955 and one is a 1983.

I have 4 kimbers 2 were bought new, both had problems. One was used and I think I bouht some one elses problem. A new free guide rod and spring fixed it.

The fourth one I bought used as a project gun, so it does not matter. It is crazy loose, and the first shot goes where ever it wants. The rest are pretty good. Its going for accurails and getting a Kart Barrel. This is for my wife. I have a Valor and PM-9. Both are great guns and do not malfunction.The PM-9 will shoot sub 1" five shot groups @ 25yards.

If you buy a kimber plan on sending it back. You are the QC. They will fix it in good time. Don't try to fix it your self, it voids the warranty. Ask me how I know.

I looked at a Colt Gold Cup side by side with a Valor. No comparison. Colt was $300 cheaper, Bought the Valor.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I usually stay out of these.

My thoughts. I have 3 colts. They all work with no problems but were bought used. One is a 1928, one is a 1955 and one is a 1983.

I have 4 kimbers 2 were bought new, both had problems. One was used and I think I bouht some one elses problem. A new free guide rod and spring fixed it.

The fourth one I bought used as a project gun, so it does not matter. It is crazy loose, and the first shot goes where ever it wants. The rest are pretty good. Its going for accurails and getting a Kart Barrel. This is for my wife. I have a Valor and PM-9. Both are great guns and do not malfunction.The PM-9 will shoot sub 1" five shot groups @ 25yards.

If you buy a kimber plan on sending it back. You are the QC. They will fix it in good time. Don't try to fix it your self, it voids the warranty. Ask me how I know.

I looked at a Colt Gold Cup side by side with a Valor. No comparison. Colt was $300 cheaper, Bought the Valor.

David

But of a broad stroke saying if you buy a Kimber plan on sending it back, don't think Kimber would still be in business if that was the case. I have 6, they all run fine, what does that mean, I have 6 Kimbers that run fine, doesn't mean every Kimber manufactured is perfect

Oltruckie

Active Fanatic
I just Recently went down a similar path, i have reservations on both. But for a commander-steel frame I'd look first at colt being cautious of the thumb safety fitment.
I don't see many all steel frame kimber pros so I don't really have a lot to go on. A few years back I owned a kimber compact and it was a very nice reliable pistol.
Another one to look at a scratch higher in price is the DW A2 commander.

Of the 2 you mentioned I'm a fan of a Colt Combat Commander (Steel or Stainless)

david_root2000

Fanatic
But of a broad stroke saying if you buy a Kimber plan on sending it back, don't think Kimber would still be in business if that was the case. I have 6, they all run fine, what does that mean, I have 6 Kimbers that run fine, doesn't mean every Kimber manufactured is perfect
Just hang around Kimbertalk for a while. The two most read posts were "Stop by the new member forum and introduce your self" and "Call this number to get an RMA and send it in. They will make it right."
While you are there, look up my user name and see what I am complaining about.

You had good expierence with all the ones you bought, I had bad expierence with all I bought.

I find it extremely difficult to send a gun back. I saved and waited for it to show up only to find out its defective and has to go back. I just get to wait longer to shoot it.

Now that it works, I love my Micro 9. Its dependable and I can hit extemely well with it.

I carry it a lot. Love the gun, don't like the company.

David

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Just hang around Kimbertalk for a while. The two most read posts were "Stop by the new member forum and introduce your self" and "Call this number to get an RMA and send it in. They will make it right."
While you are there, look up my user name and see what I am complaining about.

You had good expierence with all the ones you bought, I had bad expierence with all I bought.

I find it extremely difficult to send a gun back. I saved and waited for it to show up only to find out its defective and has to go back. I just get to wait longer to shoot it.

Now that it works, I love my Micro 9. Its dependable and I can hit extemely well with it.

I carry it a lot. Love the gun, don't like the company.

David

Got no problem with that, all I'm saying is your statement says all kimbers are bad and will have to be sent back which is not true, people on a forum are just a micro percentage of Kimber owners, I don't really care what people say on a forum, I bought a Colt because of how many people love Colts on the 1911 forum, my least favorite of all the ones I own, last time I will make a decision based on what folks say on a forum.
My point again is not all kimbers are bad or they would not still be in business and my six running fine means only that, my six run fine, but that's six examples that haven't had to be shipped back.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had Colts and Kimbers , still own 4 Kimbers , never an issue .All have been reliable and accurate . Only customer service I ever had a problem with is Colt . Their favorite advice was " shoot 500 more rounds through it and call us back " . I called Kimber one time with a recoil spring question and they sent me a three pack of 16 lb springs ,free , for a gun I bought used .

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Every 1911 I've had problems with has either been a compact or a Kimber. They have weird "solutions" to problems that don't exist. Like plastic MSHs.

Fanatic
I own colts and kimbers and several other models and have run them hard in idpa matches with no complaints on either, but I am a colt fanboy,
Handle both, and buy the one that calls to you.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
I usually stay out of these types of threads because, like others, my answer is usually to either buy both, or to save a little more for something better. I'm going to change it up and say to get the colt. Because if you're anything like me, you're going to end up sending it off to a custom smiff and the colt will hold its value as a custom much better. As long as you send it to a reputable smith.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Always been happy with my Kimber, just got back from the NRA convention in Indy. Made the mistake of checking out all the Wilson combat pistols at their booth. Now I'm in real trouble !!!

Mike Moser

Active Fanatic
I would probably get the Kimber.Colts are ok but you get more for your money with Kimber.IE Kimber already has combat sights.Ive owned both.I was in the market for a LW Comm style 1911 and got a Ruger.Its been great well worth the $700.

VuDu74

New Fanatic
I was issued a Kimber TLE/RL for work. Great fun for the price however I now carry a Springfield TRP or Colt CQB. All are great 1911's just depends on your budget.

ltcfb

New Fanatic
My two baby 1911's are Colts. I have a LW Defender stainless and a Commander. With that said, I have a Colt Government and a Kimber Tactical HD. The Kimber is the best shooter of the bunch hands down. I had to replace the safety on it to a Wilson Combat. They are all reliable and have different purposes for my personal use.