This one or that one - another Colt vs Kimber thread

HRColey

Fanatic
Colt. But then again you can't get more old school than me unless you carry a flintlock single shot pistol. My most carried pistol is a Colt Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP. I installed an ambidextrous safety, a beaver tail grip safety, arched mainspring housing, and had a larger set of sights installed. Comfortable to carry, fits my hands when fired, plus every time I shoot it I can imagine it's 1965 and I'm seventeen once again. Plus the .45 ACP hits like a five pound sledge hammer.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Colt. But then again you can't get more old school than me unless you carry a flintlock single shot pistol. My most carried pistol is a Colt Lightweight Commander in .45 ACP. I installed an ambidextrous safety, a beaver tail grip safety, arched mainspring housing, and had a larger set of sights installed. Comfortable to carry, fits my hands when fired, plus every time I shoot it I can imagine it's 1965 and I'm seventeen once again. Plus the .45 ACP hits like a five pound sledge hammer.
Aside from the pony on the side you turned it into a Kimber .

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Kimber gained popularity by offering a stock hand gun with decent sights , trigger , beavertail grip safety . One used to have to buy a Colt , send it out to have these added . In 1980 I purchased a new Gold Cup . Needless to say it didn't function reliably . Colt's answer was to shoot another 500 rds of Winchester ammo through it and call them back .

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
have had a few Colts, all have been great pistols. Went with Kimber a few years ago. really love the Pro Carry 2. Great carry gun at a very reasonable price.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Of the two, current production? I'd probably go Kimber because they're more consistent than the Colts I've seen recently. Although the Colt will hold its value a little better.
I've got a Colt and a Kimber both only 2-3 yrs old and the Kimber is fitted better and shoots better than the Colt. Both of these are no frills full size 1911s in 45acp.
Me too. I picked up a 5" Colt 1911, all black, with blue G-10 grip panels. Two things: the barrel crown moved around by my finger tip in full lock-up, the Kimber's bull barrel was rock solid. And all the scroll writing on the Colt slides, was uneven, Kimber all the exact perfect depth. And the Colt, used, was $900.00. Not sure of the model, but it's a 45acp, all black, with blue G-10 grips. Surprised. Thought Colts were better than this!

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Fitting the quality of the parts used are of better quality period.. If you like loose guns that you.. Me I will take the gun that IMO is build correctly. Colt builds them that way so they require zero fitting it is a cost savings. When Brett was running the Custom shop he requested oversized frames for the Custom shop builds and was rejected because of cost.. Say what you want believe what you want.. Colt makes a not so great gun overall great base but thats as far as it goes.. You may think that 1/8 gap in your cast GS is equal in quality or a mushy thumb safety is except-able and just as good to me it is not and 95% of Colts will come this way.. Cosmetic issues like the slide overhanging the frame another 95% of Colts issue.. Like I said they make a great base gun thats as far as it goes if you think they are equal IMO you are Wrong end of story.. If you can come up with a reason a Colt is superior Im all ears cause there is nothing on their production line guns that is superior in any way to what DW puts out for the small amount more money..
1000% AGREE! Colt can't even do the slide scrolling even depth! Or have a tight barrel in lockup. Sad.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Is that Colt the competition model they came out with several years back? Funny thing they did on those models they used blue fiber optic rods in front sight, I guess to match grips, best I can remember the blue front sight got replaced pretty quick with red, would have liked to have shot that one, never used blue front sight before. Can't remember the two shooters, male and female, might have been Maggie Reese just not sure but they were on one of the gun shows, maybe Guns and Ammo hyping the new Colt competition 1911, Roszhou's post brought back that memory

Anyway this little off topic but if you guys get a few minutes watch Lucky Gunner Ammo's video titled "Everyone loves/hates the 1911", posted 3-4 days ago, I'm sure this guy is a good person, but I think y'all will find his comments interesting, his opinion of course, we are all entitled to one

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
Evening, I'm looking for a commander sized pistola. Stainless steel, because I don't have one and I want one. Under $1k. I can get a Colt combat commander or a Kimber TLE Pro within my budget. Which one and why...go.
I have had this Colt Combat Commander for a long time. It's been tweaked with a few WC and Ed Brown parts. And it has been very reliable for me. Don't own a Kimber. But don't think you can go wrong with either. But if you want to step up. I would go with a DW Combat Commander.
20181226_205410.jpg

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Have owned 4. 500 rounds and using factory parts and mags, never had a problem!
Only problem I've had with my newish (made in 1997, bought new in 2001) Kimber Pro Carry II 45 acp., is I bought 8 boxes of Hornady Critical Duty 45 acp. last week, can't remember the grain weight, but it just hangs up at the throat of the barrel's feed-ramp. My brand new Walther PPQ Pro TAC-4 9mm eats Critical Duty just fine! Out of the box new! And the new Dan Wesson Vigil 45 acp. doesn't like it much either. But the DW hasn't gone thru even 50 rounds yet. It cycles it, but slowly, nothing like plain 230 grain ball. I JUST wanted some "personal defense" ammo. So bummed!! I'm using the OEM mags and my favorite, Wilson Combat 47D mags. No difference. Haven't shot the new Ronin 45 acp. yet. Maybe tomorrow! Hope so! So pretty! And HEAVY! Kimber has an aluminum frame,
Today, I nervously, bought some 230 grain Remington HTP JHP ammo, $1.20 a round, jeeze!! For my three 1911's. But what are you gonna do? Ammo, except ball, is STUPID expensive!! Thinking of sending the Kimber back to Kimber to have the barrel feed-ramp polished, or, should I waste $$ on shooting 500 rounds of ball to "polish" it?? I'd SERIOUSLY like to know what you'd guys do?? Maybe the Dan Wesson as well, but I've only shot 20 rounds of ball thru it. I had NO idea the Critical Duty would be an issue, after my years of shooting it in my 9mm's. With ZERO issues. Didn't know 1911's would be so finicky. I LOVE shooting them! Love just looking at them, but this ammo issue is not good. My Marine uncle told me, "1911's were designed to shoot ball ammo PERIOD"! I pray he isn't right. I don't think ball ammo is a good "personal defense" round. Especially in a condo. Or, if there's someone behind a bad guy. I assume a 230 grain ball round would go straight thru the guy, and hit someone else! Or, go thru a wall! IDK, just assuming. Maybe I'm wrong. IDK.

Last edited:

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd send it back, I'm sure just needs some tweaking, all my Kimbers handle everything

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Evening, I'm looking for a commander sized pistola. Stainless steel, because I don't have one and I want one. Under $1k. I can get a Colt combat commander or a Kimber TLE Pro within my budget. Which one and why...go.
I'd personally, go for a: Les Baer (a bit over $1K, but SO worth it!) a Springfield RONIN (LOVE mine!), or, other Springfield models available. Kimber Pro Carry (LOVE mine!), or the Ruger 1911 (would buy one if I could find one!). I know there are Colt 1911 base models, but the one I checked out, brand new, $900.00, all black finish, had blue G-10 grips. It had very loose barrel lock-up (very loose, my finger could wiggle the barrel, not good!), and inconsistent slide markings. Some shallow, some deeper (Inconstant, NOT impressed!!). Never seen the base Remington 1911's in the wild, but maybe?? Sig Sauer 1911's are AWESOME! But again, hard to find, only seen one last year. I don't understand why SO many poly-guns for sale, at around $600.00, all over the place, but so few $1000.00+- 1911's for sale?? They usually cost TWICE what any poly-gun costs, but are in stock anywhere! I WOULD consider a German made poly Walther 45 acp., I have the 9mm. PPQ Pro-Tac 4 model, BEST poly-pistol trigger EVER!! Would buy a 45 acp. version. But it's NOT a 1911. And I'm a 1911 newbie, these guys here know more than me about 1911's, but the $900.00 Colt 1911 45 acp., was a shock to me. I'd always been told Colt 1911's are awesome! I beg to differ, after my experience with one. A low end Kimber 1911, like my Pro Carry II, is a FINE $750.00 1911! I don't care what anyone says! Accurate as hell! Dan Wesson as well!! We will see what the 5" Springfield RONIN can do tomorrow or Friday!! I'm confident it's a WINNER!! It's so TIGHT! So well made! SS frame, Carbon steel slide. $800.00!! But no extras. No plastic box, one mag, no mainspring plastic tool (I thought they forgot it) nope. (Are you serious??) I wish they did include these items! A $600.00 Glock comes with: lockable plastic, foam filled box, cleaning brush, extra palm swells, THREE mags, but not Springfield, or Ruger. WHY?? At least Kimber gives you a nice plastic box, but NOT as nice as all the stuff Walther gives you with the $700.00 PPQ TAC-4. Foam lined box, three mags, three palm sizes, three red-dot sight plates, silencer ready threaded barrel, German quality construction, and a target of your gun's accuracy from the Walther German factory. NICE! You've gotta admit.
Best wishes on your new 1911!! Whichever you choose!!!!
Maybe rent some of them at the range, and see which 1911 you like??

Happy hunting!! I see so few 1911's now a days. God bless!!

Latest posts