The discussion that happens at least once a week at work

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
1911 (8+1) 45acp or Glock 19/45 (15+1 or 17+1) 9mm for daily carry.

1911-pros
Tried and tested platform
Great trigger
Big round
Piece of art
Easy to carry/thin (right holster/belt needed)
Accurate

1911-cons
Expensive
Heavy
Limited capacity
Recoil due to 45acp

Glock -pros
Capacity
Cost
Less weight
Reliable
Proven
Ease of recoil

Glock cons
Ugly
Grip angle
Trigger
Thicker to carry

The argument has not been won on either side.

Anything to add on either side ?

I have both but carry 1911 Wilson full size most of the time.

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
Good points, anyone can do amything to a Glock.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
A Glock is a cheap arse Stanley framing hammer. Rude, crude, easy to repair and just gets the job done.

A 1911 is a high end, ultra performance Dalluge framer. Rather elegant, great to look at, expensive to repair, bit gets the job done with class.

Both will get the job done. Often times it's about more than the perfect tool for the job.

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
My point always is it's about the operator not the tool, both will get it done, one will just do it better with a smile on your face. (the 1911 of course, lol)

Monadh

Well-Known Fanatic
Since I shot the Guncrafter Hellcat x2, I am convinced that the 2011 style of pistol is the full answer to the Glock regarding any cons about the supposed short comings of the 1911. Throw that variation into the discussion mix.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
the one con for glock not listed...glock knuckle--when your 3rd finger of the shooting hand gets rubbed red by the glock trigger guard--caused me to sell off all but 1 glock. I will go 1911 in this discussion

Thats an easy fix for the Glock.

Michael Miedzianowski

Active Fanatic
1911 (8+1) 45acp or Glock 19/45 (15+1 or 17+1) 9mm for daily carry.

1911-pros
Tried and tested platform
Great trigger
Big round
Piece of art
Easy to carry/thin (right holster/belt needed)
Accurate

1911-cons
Expensive
Heavy
Limited capacity
Recoil due to 45acp

Glock -pros
Capacity
Cost
Less weight
Reliable
Proven
Ease of recoil

Glock cons
Ugly
Grip angle
Trigger
Thicker to carry

The argument has not been won on either side.

Anything to add on either side ?

I have both but carry 1911 Wilson full size most of the time.
I have carried both pistols and I am all for a 4" 1911 I now own a Kimber Custom Pro CDP 2 and love it I carry either a Galco fletch belt holster or a Armadillo Shoulder holster , Price wise I got my Kimber for almost the same as the Glock but it is so much lighter and shoots like a dream.

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_221243.jpg
    IMG_20181205_221243.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
To me it's an apples and oranges comparison. I shoot 1911's twice a week. Once on range day, and once on match day. But as big as I am I can't really put one in my pocket.

For that I have a G43 that I carry everyday (and a G17 with a light that is more or less my travel gun in the truck or overnight bag).

cor_man257

Fanatic
Some points that havent been brought up:
-Cheaper pistol means its easier to have duplicates. Matching carry and dryfire guns are important to me. It prevents constant unloading and allows daily dryfire.
-Cheaper ammo means more live fire practice.

I would pick the Glock, but that has little to do with the pistol. I have more rounds through a Glock, and like more capacity in a carry gun.

I actually like a Beretta 92 for carry. Its the indian not the arrow. If somone carries a 5 shot J frame because they shoot it the most and have solid performance with it, i'd rather they carry that the what a co-worker thinks is best for them.

-Cory

Joerockhead

Fanatic
I don't know why people compare glocks to 1911's....
It's different to me if you're comparing say a Wilson to a Kimber ...
Or a Glock to a M&P ...

I have both... Like the one... Love the other !!

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, this is easy to solve with three options:

1. Carry a 1911 with a Glock backup. I like the Dan Wesson Valor and Glock 43 combo.
  2. Carry a Glock with a 1911 backup. I like the Glock 30 and a Dan Wesson ECO 9mm for backup.
  3. Carry a S&W 629 and win the caliber wars.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
...Not getting into a Glock bashing thread. BUT:

My son-in-law has a nice Glock 19 and I have my gorgeous one-of-a-kind, RIA 1911 .45 ACP with the custom made USCG logo checkered grips. A few years ago, we went shooting at the local indoor range. He shot his Glock 19 and I shot my RIA 1911.

We switched.

He absolutely fell in love with the 1911 and I could not get used to his Glock. Very uncomfortable grip angle, weird trigger system, etc... So after a mag or two, we switched back, and that was that. Glocks are okay for some, but then others just can't get used to them. The only NON-1911 that I greatly admire is the CZ-75B 9mm. My older bro-in-law has one, and it is amazing! Lethally accurate from any distance, eats up any ammo you feed it, etc...