Swap Meet (3/23/13) + any/all future Swap Meets!

Landy

Well-Known Fanatic
The first one was so good, how about we do it again on March 23 ,2013 One difference is a 5 dollar sales spot fee. Now don't get upset. The 5 dollars is a donation for a young man( Military Vet.) that is fighting cancer and could use a little help.The East Coast Guns Angels will be selling Lunch Plates as well to help make a few bucks to help . So it all goes for a good cause. Same rules will apply no firearm sales unless you want to go through the store and do paperwork.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Swap Meet (3/8/13) + any/all future Swap Meets!

My one complaint about this idea is that this was supposed to be a swap meet - as in, folks swapping stuff. No money, or not much money. Not vendors like in a flea market. So asking $5 per head to come in and trade stuff will put folks (like me) off who were coming to trade, not to buy from a vendor.

Now, if you ask for a percentage of cash sales, or a fee for guys like the dude with the truck full of ammo, I totally understand. But people like me and a lot of the other regular forum members went to see what kind of junk other folks had they might swap stuff for. I swapped a 1911 safety and sear for a magazine. Paying $5 each on top of the trade makes that not a good deal, for either of us.

If it becomes a paid vendor-style event, like a mini gun show without the actual guns, people will go somewhere else to trade.

About the vet with cancer - I'd be happy to help him get the VA system sorted out so he gets some financial and medical help. Depending on his circumstances, I might could do it pro-bono.

Ritter Gottes

Well-Known Fanatic

Here's a thought off of the top of my head:

Seeing as how a number of the good folks on this forum listed the items that they were bringing in advance, I would think if the members of the forum would do that in the future, all the trade interests and the wanted items could be hashed out before hand through PM right here and we could make our swaps upon arrival to the meet. Anyone that just shows up from the public can buy with cash any items they are interested in. I have a feeling that there will be more and more "joe public" types at the future meets.

Mike, Thanks for the 1911 parts btw!

Just my .02

Cheers!
RG

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic

I will be there...I may not have much to swap...but... I have a lot of fun. I figure if it cost me $5.00, that is cheap fun...Hell...it cost you $8.00 to get into the gun show....and, they don't want to trade...they just want your money...

Steve

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic

Maybe I'm just being a tightwad. $5 for me seems to take an act of Congress to get from the comptroller (ie, my wife) with our current budget.

Landy

Well-Known Fanatic

The ladies of East Coast Guns were doing a fund raiser for the Vet. Thought it would just be our way to help.
The Vet in question works at MUSC. So he knows whats what. Chemo is not cheap.
Tell you what Mike your table is on me.I am sure we can trade some brass to cover it..LOL Now don't say no or I will start telling bad Lawyer jokes...LOL :D :lol:
Now we may have some other vendors attend as well. But they won't be part of the swap meet but will be part of the event the shop is having. So hopefully it will be fun. The food will be good .. :D

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic

Thanks for the offer. I'll make an effort to be there.

Bad lawyer jokes are the best. Most law students are uber-serious all the time; telling bad lawyer jokes and watch them almost choke on it was one of the joys of being a non-traditional law student :) I've found that most experienced lawyers have a decent sense of humor about the whole thing; the newbies still are a bit uptight. So when I get a few drinks in me at a Bar conference (you know that's why they call it the Bar, right?) I can start telling jokes and separate the men (and women) from the kiddos :lol:

Unless his rating is all messed up, chemo should cost him $8 per drug per session through the VA. That's what I would pay, and I'm just hearing impaired.

Dave29461

Well-Known Fanatic

Count me in. Whether I have stuff to trade or stuff to sell, I can sell enough aluminum cans to cover the cover charge. :D
Dave

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic

What is the 3/8/13 date in the title? It's not the 23rd? I'm sure i'll go but doubt I'll have anything to sell or trade, everyone took pretty much all the good stuff I had. Only chance I might have is if some preppers show up for the surplus gear I have.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic

Were you the guy I got the flyers gloves from?

I think I saw a bunch of Mauser stripper clips with various ammo on them. If those were for trade please PM me.

kg4kpg

Well-Known Fanatic

Yes to the gloves, no to the Mauser. They were some old .308 that Dave gave me. I pulled all of the bullets from them Sunday and they will get cleaned up and receive shiny new ones.

Landy

Well-Known Fanatic
Please consider helping support this cause. The Angels of East Coast Guns are putting on a fundraiser to help one of our ECG family members with the high medical expenses of fighting cancer. We are selling BBQ Buffalo plates, Hamburger and Hotdog meals as well on March 23. Pre-orders will help us know how much food to prepare.
Call or come by the shop at 1725 N main street.
Hamburgers or 2 Hotdogs with side, dessert and drink 6.50 and BBQ $7.50 please share. We have a goal of $2000
BBQ Fundraiser- March 23
BBQ Buffalo plates, Hamburger Plates, and Hotdogs too. With side drink and dessert. We are taking pre orders and will have meals ready at your choice of noon or 4pm for pick up. Please come by and order your meals soon.
All proceeds going to help an East Coast Guns family member with his cancer treatments. Donations also accepted. Thank you for your support.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
Landy
I put this in a banner at the bottom of the page.
It will rotate with the welcome messages.
I am going to get Pops to make it look better but it's there now.
If you want to change the wording just shoot me a pm.

Landy

Well-Known Fanatic
Thank you Frost. One of the "Angels" is my wife.. She said thank you as well. Looks good..

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Dammit. I've got to be in Beaufort tomorrow for a family tedium. Not that I have anything to trade at the moment - I'm tapped out! Although I do have a couple of evil black lowers for sale on Armslist - tell your crazy coworkers I'll let the pair for for only a grand :D

Tom

Active Fanatic
I was happy with the last meet. Even if there were about as many "lookers" as there were "swappers." I met some new friends and re-met old ones. I am not sure how I feel about the $5.00. What I am hearing from other forum members is it's the "principle of the thing"....There are a LOT of Vets out there that don't get/apply for "VA services" for one reason or another. But it is available to all. It is one of our few benee's still available for our service. Thanks East Coast for inviting us to do this.
Tom

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
So - was there a meet this weekend past, or is it the 23rd? Looking at the forum heading, I'm getting confused. Not that that takes much these days.

Latest posts