RMR on your carry gun

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
But you can't shoot what you can't see. Irons are awesome at 5yrds but at 25yrds the world is a blur if you are staring at your front sight.
Not too many S/D situations happening at 25 yards. Dead battery, no dot was the point I was going to make. Precision pistol it shot at 50 yards, all with open sights til recent times.

wrmiller

Fanatic
But you can't shoot what you can't see. Irons are awesome at 5yrds but at 25yrds the world is a blur if you are staring at your front sight.

Add that to the fact that many police and military units use the RMR because of it's reliability means I may have a better chance of surviving a gunfight with it rather than without it. :)

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Not too many S/D situations happening at 25 yards. Dead battery, no dot was the point I was going to make. Precision pistol it shot at 50 yards, all with open sights til recent times.
Pete- How much time have you spent training and using a red dot equipped pistol?

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
Pete- How much time have you spent training and using a red dot equipped pistol?
I have sent a lot of rounds down range at bulls eyes with red dot sights with .45 and .22. quite a few with a red dot on a 10/22. I love the red dot sight but I would not put one on a carry gun. I have a prism scope on an AR15, it has a red or green dot with power, black without power so it's still useable if the battery is dead. All the training in the world won't make the dot red with a dead battery. A red dot is great for shooting, put the dot on a target and shoot, almost like cheating. I still won't put one on a carry gun.

wrmiller

Fanatic
The rating on a RMR's battery is approx. 17000 hours, or almost 2 years (assuming quality batteries are used). I change out the batteries on my RMRs every June as they are cheap, and that way I always have a red dot when I need it.

I shot open class pistols with red dots for almost 20 years and am quite comfortable with them. But that's just me.

Joe C

Pass the mustard
Custom Builder
RDS on carry guns is where the future is taking us folks. They provide for faster first shot on target, more accurate shots at distance, easier to see sighting, shorter training curve and with the tech now available they are more reliable than ever. It should tell us all something when the top trainers in the industry are going to and teaching RDS specific classes. And the argument of batteries is mute. With modern RDS battery life of 17k-50k hours there is no reason to ever worry about a dead battery. What's more, by the time you machine the slide for the mount and dot it weighs no more than a standard buried and protected adjustable or modern fixed rear sight.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I have sent a lot of rounds down range at bulls eyes with red dot sights with .45 and .22. quite a few with a red dot on a 10/22. I love the red dot sight but I would not put one on a carry gun. I have a prism scope on an AR15, it has a red or green dot with power, black without power so it's still useable if the battery is dead. All the training in the world won't make the dot red with a dead battery. A red dot is great for shooting, put the dot on a target and shoot, almost like cheating. I still won't put one on a carry gun.

I remember when military guys were saying the same thing about red dots on rifles.
So............

Last edited:

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have carried a pistol with a red dot for almost 5 years now...

There is a serious amount of work that goes into being proficient with a red dot on a pistol. However, once you are there, the benefits are definitely worth it.

The number one thing to help get over the learning curve is; be intimately familiar with your NPA.

Do the work, and you will reap the rewards. Of course, what part of life can't that be said about?

Wondering, if you are intimately familiar with your NPA and you have been shooting to that point for years and it has become natural......how does the red dot improve on that?

Not being sarcastic.

DPGI

Fanatic
Wondering, if you are intimately familiar with your NPA and you have been shooting to that point for years and it has become natural......how does the red dot improve on that?

Not being sarcastic.

Traditional iron sights force you to choose (either consciously or subconsciously) whether your focus will be on front sight or the target. Personally, I am good with target focus on a man sized target out to about 15 yards with iron sights. After that, I better start getting a nice clean sight picture before I press that trigger.

A red dot allows you to always focus on the target. Target focus is a faster sighting method already, and when you eliminate the transitions, it only compounds the benefits.

Will someone see this benefit standing at a static range, shooting a ragged hole in a paper target? Probably not. In that case, they would probably be better off sticking with irons.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Personally, I am good with target focus on a man sized target out to about 15 yards with iron sights. After that, I better start getting a nice clean sight picture before I press that trigger.
Man sized target most people don't have issue. Add in some distance or a smaller point of aim and bingo.

I have seen people multiple times during qualifiers or drills shoot the target/torso nexts to theirs because they could not see them at 25yrds.

Joe C

Pass the mustard
Custom Builder
Personally I disagree with Derek, as do nearly all of the trainers I interact with on the idea of target focus. The RDS allows you to pick up the sight faster and stay focused on the dot easier than trying to decide whether to focus on the front sight (which is correct). This is what makes for more accurate shots...and this is what BE shooters have known since 1978 when Joseph P. strapped an original AimPoint on the slide of his wad gun for the first time and won a match.

DPGI

Fanatic
Personally I disagree with Derek, as do nearly all of the trainers I interact with on the idea of target focus. The RDS allows you to pick up the sight faster and stay focused on the dot easier than trying to decide whether to focus on the front sight (which is correct). This is what makes for more accurate shots...and this is what BE shooters have known since 1978 when Joseph P. strapped an original AimPoint on the slide of his wad gun for the first time and won a match.

Right on, man. That is the beauty of shooting.

I learned a long time ago that there are a hundred ways to skin a cat. What works for me might not necessarily work for you. Any instructor worth their weight knows that.

This gets into those weird waters of what is the "right way" to shoot. If someone is hitting targets, winning matches, and seeing success, who are we to tell them they are doing something wrong? I've seen some really great shooters do really weird things... but they work.

Latest posts