RMR on your carry gun

PanHandlerFL

Well-Known Fanatic
Finally got some time behind a borrowed Springfield TRP at a shoot n scoot range with RMR on it. It was a joy to play with and was seriously considering going down that rabbit hole with an eye towards CCing one. But it was raining by the last two hours...rain drops/misting on sight pic thru RMR went to crap. That being said, still "had" a RMR on my braced AR9 HD pistol, backed by offset irons...it worked for me (i would post a picture...but I just recently lost ALL my AR/AK pistols and AK rifles in a horrifying boating accident during Hurricane Sandy...so sad, so sad ! I haven't given up on RMRing a pistol, it's just not a priority...I like the KISS philosophy in CC weapons. Although I do have a XS Big Dot sight on my .45 XDS semiauto.

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
Captiva.................Thank you for posting those two articles. I was looking for them to post as well.
I think anyone even remotely considering an MRDS should read those..............They are probably the most
factual/knowledgeable information on Red Dots currently available. Sage Dynamics has really been
in to the Red Dots for quite awhile. Highly Recommended reading.............
TR

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Interesting discussion everyone, lots of good info. I've not used a pistol with a MRDS yet. I like the idea but I'm a hard old dog to teach new tricks. Agree with the poster that encouraged XS big dot sights for CC use. For me, they are fast and accurate enough.
Oddly enough however, I do run an Aimpoint MRDS on my AR, with co-witness Daniel Defense BUIS. Love that setup. But its an 18" barreled rifle vs. a 4 1/4" barreled commander, so I can't see mw making the switch to MRDS on my pistols. Plus I'm not about to cut up any of my slides. I am aware of the dovetail sight type mounts.

I have an interesting rattlesnake story myself. They are quite aggressive when agitated. I was wishing I had a shotgun!!!

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Dot sights on handguns are just not my thing here my SBR's and carbines all have them I have tried them on handguns but guessing way to many years of shooting irons, so not for me my friend leveling ground broke through the top of a snake den and said they were literally all around him, I do know well odd things happen when under high stress very well, when we used to go metal detector looking on his ranch we always had a short shotgun with birdshot handy plus a handgun, used it 1 time. Yes I am old school and set in my ways I admit but know well what works for me.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Here's my carry gun, in God's Caliber, an STI Staccato P Duo w/ Leopold DPP.

TedBlockerSTI.jpeg

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I have a couple(Sig Romeo & Holosun) on a few of my handguns. Just getting use to them. Not for carry of self defense yet. I like my Heinie Straight Eight's. I'd like to take a class on to be proficient on them for S/D use. But not yet. Defiantly great for longer distances. My eyes aren't like they were 20 yrs. ago.

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
I understand the "Old dog" outlook and I also can relate to the "old eyes" perspective. I went from this
Commander 9mm 1.JPG

to this...........
Commander 9mm RMR.JPG

there was some training involved to make the transition but well worth the effort.
TR

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Enjoyed going back and reading the comments on putting Red Dot sights on their carry gun. Particularly enjoyed the comments made by those that haven't tried them. Reminds me of "always ridden a horse, not about to get a car", "always carried a revolver and not about to carry an auto-just not reliable", "my oven works just fine, don't need one of those new microwaves" and of course, "why would I get one of those new iPhone things, there's a phone booth on every corner if I ever needed to make an emergency call".

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
RMRs are great for the range or hunting, and very fun! But when it comes to carry, I'm a traditionalists. Odds are pretty good, if you need to use your carry piece - more than likely it will be within 3 to 5 feet. Close range, point and shoot (fast). If RMRs are your thing for carry, more power to ya.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
RMRs are great for the range or hunting, and very fun! But when it comes to carry, I'm a traditionalists. Odds are pretty good, if you need to use your carry piece - more than likely it will be within 3 to 5 feet. Close range, point and shoot (fast). If RMRs are your thing for carry, more power to ya.
Good point. I was thinking my CQ practice distance 7-12 yds.. I know as I am now, there is no way I would be faster and accurate w/ an optic. Maybe in time. At 20+ yds. for sure.

Bob-O

New Fanatic
My theory is that if I'm ever in a fire fight at anything closer than 10 yards its a point and shoot situation as there won't be enough time to pick up sights with the adrenaline rush going on, so I do practice point and shoot and also obtaining sights on some carry guns and also obtaining my RMR's dot sights on a carry Glock 45 w/red dot. Then I hope I will be ready for any situation, distance wise, with traditional sights or red dots. Just my thoughts about carry realizing whatever I practice might not be right, hopefully it will never ever happen, but I would like to think I'm ready.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My theory is that if I'm ever in a fire fight at anything closer than 10 yards its a point and shoot situation as there won't be enough time to pick up sights with the adrenaline rush going on, so I do practice point and shoot and also obtaining sights on some carry guns and also obtaining my RMR's dot sights on a carry Glock 45 w/red dot. Then I hope I will be ready for any situation, distance wise, with traditional sights or red dots. Just my thoughts about carry realizing whatever I practice might not be right, hopefully it will never ever happen, but I would like to think I'm ready.
Sounds like good practice. It's always wise to imagine any possible scenario and train for everything.

Welcome to the forum from Eastern NC.

Latest posts