RANT: Browning 1911 .380 issues!

Jerre

Active Fanatic
With all the problems I had with 2 different Browning 1911 .380's and 2 different SA 911 .380's, I'd rather have the sharp stick.....LOL ! At least the sharp stick is dependable ! !

Ok, this is were I thought it would go. If your .50 cal is not reliable guess what, you loose. Now I have reliable weapons from .22 to .45 ACP, a lot of people on this forum stated support for calibers to include .380. I will draw your rebuke I am sure, but if you wish to prove you theory of words or a sharp stick, and you will sign the waiver, stand 7 yards from my .380 or .32 or.22 or whatever. Fact, from 32 years of practical firearms use, any firearm beats a " strong word or a sharp stick" . Get your carry weapon fixed so you trust it, train that you hit under combat circumstances and carry a gun. The cemetery is full of people the believe in words and sharp sticks. Sorry to go off but you hit a nerve. Let the rebuke begin.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Been shot, twice, biggest caliber was a 9. Both were a lot closer than 7 yards.

I carry a .45. Not interested in theories.

Parausa

Active Fanatic
My hat is off to you Jammer Six. Glad you're here to tell about it. I've never been shot and hope I never will be of course. I know that stress affects motor skills significantly and center mass at close range could even be a challenge so I guess the bigger the better when it comes to caliber. I carry them all and understand some of the limitations. Carry on and stay safe!

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, thank you, but you should put your hat back on. I made serious mistakes both times. I think back and what I remember is what I should have done.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Only 380 I have is a Bersa thunder the wife wanted, I found I like it also. No problems or malfunctions in the three years we've owned it! Glad I have read through these posts since I thought about a 1911-380 for a moment it think I would go the Rock Island route if I do decide to go the 1911 route in the future.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
Only 380 I have is a Bersa thunder the wife wanted, I found I like it also. No problems or malfunctions in the three years we've owned it! Glad I have read through these posts since I thought about a 1911-380 for a moment it think I would go the Rock Island route if I do decide to go the 1911 route in the future.
Yea, Babboonbobo, if I ever go 1911 .380 again, I'll go the Rock Island Baby Rock route. Never a Browning or SA again ! !

Jerre

Active Fanatic
Ok, this is were I thought it would go. If your .50 cal is not reliable guess what, you loose. Now I have reliable weapons from .22 to .45 ACP, a lot of people on this forum stated support for calibers to include .380. I will draw your rebuke I am sure, but if you wish to prove you theory of words or a sharp stick, and you will sign the waiver, stand 7 yards from my .380 or .32 or.22 or whatever. Fact, from 32 years of practical firearms use, any firearm beats a " strong word or a sharp stick" . Get your carry weapon fixed so you trust it, train that you hit under combat circumstances and carry a gun. The cemetery is full of people the believe in words and sharp sticks. Sorry to go off but you hit a nerve. Let the rebuke begin.
I've got several dependable self defense guns ....... Ruger LC9s, Glock 42, Glock 43X, Ruger LCPll, and a few .22's and one .22 mag. Just never will trust the Browning & SA guns that I've mentioned in the past and have since gotten rid of. Happy Easter my friend.

You know I do not doubt anyones account of problems with the SA or Browning, but now I have a curiosity. I have been thinking if I can find one, cheap, I am really tempted to get one and try to figure out what is causing all of the problems. Has anyone ever had one truly fixed and what was the actual problem?

jennflip

Well-Known Fanatic
You know I do not doubt anyones account of problems with the SA or Browning, but now I have a curiosity. I have been thinking if I can find one, cheap, I am really tempted to get one and try to figure out what is causing all of the problems. Has anyone ever had one truly fixed and what was the actual problem?

jennflip

Well-Known Fanatic
Hillbilly i have 600 rds thru my 911 380 with zero problems---I did breakdown and clean and lightly sanded and flitzed the heck out of the frame rails and slide rails---works great for me..... good luck....

Jerre

Active Fanatic
Good luck on finding a "cheap" one ! I paid $700 for the Browning and $600 for the SA. Of course these were new guns. And, the factory knew the problems with the guns as I talked to them personally on the phone and still they (the factory) couldn't fix my problems. I was in the sporting goods business for over 35 yrs and handled all brands / makes of long guns and handguns. In all those yrs I never experienced as bad of problem with any brand of firearm with a customer's gun or my own guns as I recently experienced with the Browning & SA.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
My 911 arrived, good fit and finish. I have field stripped it, wiped it down, lubed, and reassembled. range ready now, fingers crossed that I got a good one. will shoot several other 380's including my Mustang XSP for reference. A few more rounds for the Spectrum and LC-380 too.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
My 911 arrived, good fit and finish. I have field stripped it, wiped it down, lubed, and reassembled. range ready now, fingers crossed that I got a good one. will shoot several other 380's including my Mustang XSP for reference. A few more rounds for the Spectrum and LC-380 too.
Good luck ! I had 2 different SA 911"s and they were both a piece of crap !

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Many years my wife got a Colt Mustang plus2 380 auto.nice shooter and carry gun. She has since switched to a 442.

Parausa

Active Fanatic
Got my Browning 1911 .380 back from their customer service after warranty "repair". Same problems -could not even get one full mag through it. Sent it right back and asked them to replace it or take it back and refund my $840. Got a single mag back in the mail the other day...? Still waiting to see what they do about the gun

sa.jackson

New Fanatic
Anyone still hanging around here? I haven't had any feed problems with the 1911 380 but have a problem with the finish on this gun.

It seems extremely thin on the slide and is already showing scratches after minimal holster use.

Additionally, the finish is applied unevenly and only shows dark black in one patch on the slide, the rest is a thin, poorly done finish. I Emailed these photos to Browning customer service and they responded that it looked like "holster wear". It's been holstered in their own leather holster 3x max. Regardless, I don't think I've ever seen holster wear like this...F1FE8B96-4FDE-49FE-BDC8-1023FA33222F.jpegB6D4F6E4-4AFC-4C37-A988-E843FD59999D.jpeg03F98E84-6C3A-479A-8BE2-C1DB8A24C356.jpeg

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, I'm still here.
Besides mine, I know of three others. Mine has no wear at all, after two years (three?) and what must be 4-5 dozen holster uses. If not a lot more! Not sure of the others, that my friends/family have, but have never heard any complaints.
Are you talking about the straight line, color differences along the slide in the pics? Or the small semi parallel lines running perpendicular to the bore near the front sight? Don't know what would cause the color differences, which seem uniform in shape and shades. But the small lines near the front sight look like scratches to me. Too irregular in pattern.

Last edited:

sa.jackson

New Fanatic
Yeah, I'm still here.
Besides mine, I know of three others. Mine has no ware at all, after two years (three?) and what must be 4-5 dozen holster uses. If not a lot more! Not sure of the others, that my friends/family have, but have never heard any complaints.
Are you talking about the straight line, color differences along the slide in the pics? Or the small semi parallel lines running perpendicular to the bore near the front sight? Don't know what would cause the color differences, which seem uniform in shape and shades. But the small lines near the front sight look like scratches to me. Too irregular in pattern.
The lines near the sights are scratches. I'm referring to the straight line color variation that is right on top of the buck mark. Its the only area on the slide that has a nice black finish, the rest of the slide looks unfinished. Almost as if it missed a coat. In fact I think the scratches near the sight happened because the finish is so thin. Every other black label 1911 I've seen had a uniform solid black matte finish. Leave it to me to order a dud :(

Latest posts