RANT: Browning 1911 .380 issues!

You know I hate these 380 vs whatever debates. Professionally I have carried and unfortunately used several of the " defensive" caliber guns. I absolutely believe the only consideration is 1) does the firearm work every time with the ammo you use and 2) can you hit a vital location, translated can you stop the offenders forward aggressive activity. I have done this with a .22 and a . 45 if the weapon works and you can hit that iswhat matters.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
Yea, but when you pay that kind of money for a gun, you shouldn't have to do all that. Should come from the factory "ready to go" ! !

Jerre

Active Fanatic
I use to also, Parausa, but age, health issues, etc., have me limited on what guns I can rack the slide on now. All mine now are .22's, .380's, and 9mm's.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
Okay. Thanks. I'm 73 and will be 74 in Sept. You ? Take care my friend.

Hey thanks for the support, I guess I am like some of you responding a few too many injuries and different circumstances now. so I carry a smaller PDW then I used to. Gotta ask, does anyone else have an Iver Johnson Pony in .380? It is my summer carry gun and meets my requirements being 100% reliable and at least as accurate as I am.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
Hi, hillbilly. I don't have an Iver Johnson Pony, but you have my interest in it as I'm not familar with it. Is it on the 1911 platform ? I also have had to carry a smaller PDW than I use to carry. I still own several guns, but my PDW now is the G42.....which I really do love. As most all Glocks, it's very reliable and accurate. I recently bought a new Glock 43X in 9mm which I really do love, but I don't carry it. I generally just leave it in the glove compartment of my SUV vehicle. What gun do you carry now ? Take care my friend !

Yep, the Pony is almost a copy of the Colt Mustang. I am kind of stuck in my ways with respect to the 1911 platform. I carried the true 1911 in .45ACP so long that even though I am downsizing, I prefer the same feel as the larger gun. The Pony fit this requirement well. That is one thing I feel Glock has right, their handguns, large or small, all have the same basic feel, I am a believer in the importance of muscle memory especially in critical incident shooting.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
I figured it was probably about the way you described the Pony. I use to have a Colt Government Model stainless .380 and I let a guy talk me out of it. It was a very valuable little 1911 and I've kicked my butt ever since I got rid of it. I really liked the Browning, but after having so many problems with 2 of them, I've washing my hands of them. I'm like you.....the 1911 to me has always been a .45 acp, but age, health issues, etc., have changed my mind a little and I'm having to drop down on caliber's a little. I'd be interested in the Iver Johnson Pony if you come across an extra one. And, yes, Glocks are about all the same which is a really great thing. Have a good day and keep in touch my friend.

You know its funny, I don't think I ever let a gun get away from me that I didn't regret later. I will keep you posted on any Ponys I see around. You be careful and have a god day also. same

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
As @Bender stated, in my experience. 380's are very ammo sensitive. My only current .380 is a S&W ppk/s so I can feel cool in a tux with a martini. Gun runs like crap with cheapo PPU FMJ's (I snagged a couple cases before the komifornia ammo ban) :( but cycles all the hot SD rounds I can throw at it. I replaced all the springs and had no change in performance. Other than the thumb safety I would recommend a Sig p238 if you're stuck on .380. Great little guns. I daily a 938 and am very happy with it. I think handguns are like any other gun, I occasionally carry a g19 and find myself sweeping an imaginary safety just like I try to pump semi auto shotguns or slide for the rear trigger on a second shot. Slows me down. It's all what you're used to I guess. Best of luck.

Jerre

Active Fanatic
You know its funny, I don't think I ever let a gun get away from me that I didn't regret later. I will keep you posted on any Ponys I see around. You be careful and have a god day also. same
Yea, I guess we all regret getting rid of any of our guns. Thanks for thinking about me on the Pony's ! Take care.

Latest posts