RANT: Browning 1911 .380 issues!

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Forgot to say, welcome! And sorry about you finish issues. Something so angular and defined cannot be holster wear, in my opinion. Try again, and hopefully a different rep will try to help you out.

sa.jackson

New Fanatic
Forgot to say, welcome! And sorry about you finish issues. Something so angular and defined cannot be holster wear, in my opinion. Try again, and hopefully a different rep will try to help you out.
Thanks!
The finish issue aside I really love the pistol. It shoots well and God knows I love 1911's.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I forgot to post that my SA 911 is now my favorite of my twelve pocket 380's. Best sights, most accurate.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
So, I've owned the Browning 1911 .380 for over a year now.

Taking it to the range it's been constant stoved pipes. I tried to use 2 other different magazines to ensure it wasn't the case.
I used various types of ammo from Winchester and blazer brass, no hot self defense rounds.

Originally this was purchased for my wife, to use for self defense, but with these type of issues I'm not so sure.

Browning has been unresponsive via email - so I need to call them. I'm thinking of just getting it fixed, and selling it. I want reliability, not having to worry if something were to happen.

Has anyone had these types of issues? Did you get the corrected?
Tighten you grip make sure you are not limp wristing...also your recoil spring may be too strong for the ammo you are using. Are you using full power ammo or weaker target ammo?

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic

Taking it to the range it's been constant stoved pipes. I tried to use 2 other different magazines to ensure it wasn't the case.
I used various types of ammo from Winchester and blazer brass, no hot self defense rounds.

Originally this was purchased for my wife, to use for self defense, but with these type of issues I'm not so sure.

Browning has been unresponsive via email - so I need to call them. I'm thinking of just getting it fixed, and selling it. I want reliability, not having to worry if something were to happen.

Sorry missed the part of the no hot self defense rounds...get another spring or a weaker spring for those loads...when I load & shoot target 45 rounds I had to cut one loop off a regular spring & that stopped the stovepipes.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I too looked @ the Browning 1911 / 380, shortly after they came out. looked pretty nice, but almost choked when i saw the price tag..more than I paid for my Colt Gold Cup (well, it was a few yrs. ago) I thought I'd wait for them to be in the market for awhile & see if the price dropped.
This did happen, but I'd lost interest in another 380 by then.
I have owned a few 380's , first was a Taurus 58 which is not made anymore..a copy of a Beretta 84, it's very similar to a downsided Mod 92 . Has a 12 rnd dbl stack, extremely reliable, & accurate, for a small pistol.. large for a 380 though. Having large hands, I prefer a little larger sized pistols. Next was a CZ-83... an all steel (Taurus 58 has an Aluminum frame) pistol also with a 12 rnd mag. Cz copied the Walther PPK and has the barrel attached to the frame , which may be the reason for it's accuracy. My final 380 was a Sig Sauer 232.. smaller then the others, I wanted a Sig 238 but my hand didn't like the short grip frame..( same reason I never tried a Colt Mustang) Sig seems to be the most accurate, ( or I should say that I shoot it more accurately) It uses a single stack mag, so capacity is less. Looks a lot like a PPK, but the backstrap is designed better, so it doesn't give slide bite like the PPK does. The Sig also has the barrel attached to the frame.. and it is no longer made, or at least sold in the USA..

Sorta strange, reading all the problems posters have had with their .380's .. the 3 I've owned have been flawless in function..even the Taurus.

Spad

Active Fanatic
I still have problems with the .22/1911, grip safety, sent it back, still same problem. Does not release trigger all the time. Right now safe queen. Spad

JimCunn

Fanatic
I've got a Browning 1911-22 Compact and two Browning 1911-380/22 Compact Convertibles. All required some work to make them dependable. Different problems, different solutions. I really like them and use one of them for occasional carry. My only long term complaint is the poor quality of the finish.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
"Most fire arm trainers do not believe the .380 to be an effective self defense round. "

Still beats strong words or a sharp stick. Sometimes, if you hold your mouth right.
The 380 ACP compares well with the 36 navy colt cap and ball ballistically. Wild Bill H used the .36 navy colt a lot. The 380 ACP is some between the round and conical load of the 36 colt navy. Most practical carry pistols are compromises and that includes the highly regarded .45 ACP. For close range I have confidence that a center of mass hit with a 12 ga loaded with 8 triple ought buckshot is adequate. A .45 is certainly better than a .380, but people have taken more than one hit to the body and survived to continue fighting. It really depends on what a .45 or .380 slug hits. A lady might have more luck hitting something under stress conditions with the 380. I am currently carrying 9x19 parabellum rounds myself, ( +P+ federal 9mm hollow points).

JimCunn

Fanatic
My two primary carries are a 637-2 J-frame lightened up with a titanium .357 Mag cylinder and reamed for 9x19 (147 gr).
And a Browning 1911-380. I prefer either over my Kimber Micro 9.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic

I would try some hot loads first and then get a weaker recoil spring for normal loads. When I used to reload 45 ACP I had to change recoil springs for the target loads...back then we didn't have the ability to buy weaker springs or springs with less lbs so we just cut off two coils of a regular spring. Interesting that the Browning 1911 380 does not have a +P rating... Usually stove pipes are caused by a recoil spring that's too heavy or limp wristing...now an extractor may cause some problems but clean it and make sure no debris is under the extractor claw. I've had several such problem with 380's at the LE range dealing with backups. When I would shoot the gun no problems...these were mostly plastic 380's...also had it happen with a Sig 938...cause, limp wristing...

JimCunn

Fanatic
Almost all of the Browning 1911-380 stovepipes are due to improper spacing between the magazine feedlips.
Next most common is loose extractor screw.
Third is extractor a couple of hundredths too long. All three are easy to fix.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Recently read about Rock Island Armory marketing a miniaturized all steel 1911 , chambered in .380, called the BABY ROCK.
Thought I was done buying pistols, but might have to buy one of these. The aluminum frame on the Browning 380 / 1911 was
a drawback ( for me) , I prefer real steel, not aluminum, for my pistols. The price on the Browning, being above $600 for the model I handled, was another drawback for me. A real steel version of a 1911 chambered in .380 for under $400 sounds like a better deal, at least worthy of serious consideration.
After learning of the aluminum frame on the Browning & the price, I lost interest in it. I own a couple RIA 1911's @ present, and when I can find a Baby Rock in stock, it might come home with me.

JimCunn

Fanatic
Only the Browning 1911-22 has an aluminum frame.
The Browning 1911-380 has a polymer frame with steel rails.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
"The Browning 1911-380 has a polymer frame with steel rails. ".. that's even worse, IMO. Aluminum frame is better than polymer w/steel rails, to me anyway..
Been some years since I looked @ The Browning 1911 / 380, I do know the light weight frame was a major reason I didn't like it.

JimCunn

Fanatic
I have a 1911-22 with aluminum frame and two 1911-380 with polymer frames. I much prefer the polymer. Possibly because I am 81 years old and really appreciate the light weight. I expect both aluminum and polymer to last my lifetime. As an aside, the slides are steel.

As a second aside, it takes about a minute and a half to convert the 380 to 22.
It takes about an hour to modify the 22 frame to allow a 380 slide to work and after that, about a minute and a half to convert the 22 to 380.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Interesting, I had not heard that the 2 cal.s of the Brownings are interchangable.
I understand the benefit of a light weigh frame, for carry purposes, but that is also a detriment (IMO) when actually shooting.
A lightweight pistol transfers more recoil to the shooter than a heavier pistol, pistol weight dampens recoil.

I own a Glock 22, and have a Lone Wolf conversion barrel , so it can shoot 9mm. Thought that was a good idea, but my Glocks ( have a 21 as well)
spend their time in a drawer, seldom get used. I had to try a Glock years ago, to see why they were so popular, bought a new Mod.21 (45acp) and later a used Mod.22 . Discovered I didn't enjoy shooting them, balance of slide to frame, and weird "dart-gun" trigger was so different from my other pistols, I gave uptrying to get used to shooting them. .Guess I should sell both, as most my pistol shooting is thru 1911 format pistols..
with a few S&W / Ruger revolvers thrown in for variety.

JimCunn

Fanatic
Since the 22 is blowback and the 380 is locked breech, recoil is very similar in both calibers (and very mild).

I have 22 conversion slide assemblies for both of my 380 frames

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
No disrespect intended, but this baby Browning is a cheap abomination.
There is no way I would ever have my wife use this for a defensive pistol.

There are far better, smaller, more reliable options available.
Agreed..l have only a couple 380s left. A CZ82 & a backup Kahr P380. Both shoot as intended. But the cartridge is a bit on the weaker end, but in capable hands it's still deadly. Got my wife an EZ 9MM Smith.

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Been awhile since I've posted here, but I gotta say, I'm still loving my Browning 1911-380!
It has been 99%-100% since I bought it. The only "problem" I've had with it personally is, about 1-2 times out of 30-40 shots, my support hand thumb (right thumb, as I am left handed) will put pressure on the slide lock pin protruding thru the right side, and slightly push it out to the left during recoil. The pistol is very small and I end up adjusting my grip on it just a bit. And really, I have pretty much reduced that to every once in a while…maybe 1 time in 50 rounds.
The pistol is ridiculously accurate! Really! And as I mentioned a few years back, every decent to good shooter I know has had excellent accuracy using it.
joepistol, we very likely belong to the same gun club…DSC? If that is true, I would be happy to let you shoot mine. Regardless the frame material, or how it felt in your hand, I'd be willing to bet that you'd find it pretty amazing to shoot.