Insane prices

Pitt2500

Fanatic
Mike I can live with $15/box
$25 and more gets expensive to go practice for vary long.
Have reloading equip and components are also going crazy!
Wonder if all is demand or also shortage of materials, "probably from China"??

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Mike I can live with $15/box
$25 and more gets expensive to go practice for vary long.
Have reloading equip and components are also going crazy!
Wonder if all is demand or also shortage of materials, "probably from China"??
There are multiple causes for shortage . Google or go to powdervalleyinc.com why is there a primer shortage . Mainly it's record number of new gun buyers needing ammo , manufacturers needing components to make new ammo , some component factories running behind due to covid shut downs . It's like a perfect storm . Until panic buying subsides it will not end .

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Betting depending on politics we are looking at 2 plus years if we are lucky to see any stocks in stores if we are lucky! Our Police Supply has ammo but 100 rounds a month limit logged by DL. for civilians. Not inflated high prices there or at Academy if you go on stocking days. 3 boxes max. Other than 22 rf we stocked up in Feb at 1st mention of the shortages and if you look 22 rf can be had.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I still have extra pmags, and ammo from before the last shortage. I guess that shows how little I shoot now, which makes me sad.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Ammo, mags and components for me no issues at all here friends wanting me to sell some many issues there would trade some issued carbine and Garand ammo for 22rf though that's about it. No shipping though. Just pay attention to the times and you will not be short...

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
CTD....never again....don't think anything they sell is "cheaper".....

I am a PRIME member at www.targetsportsusa.com - $99/year and you get prices somewhere between wholesale and retail....right now, 9mm or 45acp is running .55 cents per round (shipped). Better than many out there....but definitely more than the past.....

thank God I reload!

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
LGS I deal with ( for the last ten years ) has plenty of primers , $100.00 per 1,000 . They're Tulammo . I'm not desperate enough to pay that for those , yet . I can probably hold out a couple years ,

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a prime member at Targetusa.com as well, they have not had ammo for sometime. I will tell you my best luck has been at my local Academy. $24.99, 50rd box Blazer Brass in 45acp. There is no limit on 45acp, just 9mm and .223/5.56.

The only people I have seen pay the crazy prices are the folks new to firearms and think the prices are not that bad, lol.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
If your willing to stand an hour plus before opening Academy here locally and stand by door you will get ammo most week days at + $2-3 more than regular pricing 3 box limits per caliber, a box is any size, most days, but not wait in your truck but stand by door. So glad we bought in Feb 20 when all this started. More often than not you will get some.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Be patient, unless you have no ammo, we've been thru this before and several other times before that. I'm old and even an old dog can be taught, plenty of components and pre-rolled ammo. However nothing lasts forever, my entire family loves to shoot.
SIL just picked up 3 boxes, 50rnd, of 9mm at $15 p/box. Limit of 3 p/day. Patience and a refusal to be gouged, learn the lessons life teaches

spacelordmaster

Active Fanatic
Yes, at my local gunshop here, the 9mm ammo is at $39.00 a box of 50 and 45 ACP is at $59.00 for a box of 50. Just 4 months ago it was at $8.99 and $10.99. This is absolutely ridiculous, but we have to thank the idiotic conspiracy theorist fanatics out there for hoarding the ammo and screwing the rest of us out. There is a totally wrong idea out there that we are gonna have a civil war if the president is not re-elected and the other guy is. There is also another stupid theory that Biden will take our guns away <---- That one is the funniest one of all of them.

Let's get one thing very clear brothers, NO president can take our guns away. The constitution of the United States will not allow this.

The second amendment on the constitution clearly states:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

They can create laws to make it harder for us to get ammo by limiting the amount of ammo we can buy, but they cannot take our guns away.

We have had a total of 15 Democrat presidents in our history. NONE of them have taken our guns away. Why? Because they can't. History will tell you, over and over again, this ain't gonna happen.

2000: Remember Y2K? The experts were telling us that we were going to be sent back to the Stone Age because the computers were going to die when the clocked ticked into the first minute of the Year Two Thousand. Ammo – and bottled water – became scarce.

2008: The election of Barack Obama. I remember $20 bricks of .22 Long Rifle ammo selling for $100 bucks, and scalpers waiting in line in the early morning hours at Walmart (which at least didn't jack up the price) hoping for an ammo delivery.

2012: The re-election of President Obama, and the run on guns triggered by screams for gun confiscation after the Sandy Hook atrocity.

2016: The impending election of Hillary Clinton, who had promised to be the strictest "gun control" President evah! (The day after she lost, I understood how the British must have felt when they received word that the storm had sunk the oncoming Spanish Armada.)

And now, 2020: First, a pandemic in which the media warned us that the cops would be out sick and we'd be on our own. Then, the George Floyd riots in which some parts of some cities WERE on their own because the cops were so busy.

My point is gentleman: The hoarding of ammo is absolutely unnecessary. We have created our own shortage and hike in prices by going to the gun shops and buying all the ammo, and the ammo manufacturers are sitting back, laughing at us because they know the truth, but are happy as hell because we are putting millions in their pockets by creating this mass hysteria shortage and giving them a reason to jack the prices up.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Here is a screenshot from Cheaperthandirt.com selling .45acp ammo for $500 for 250 rounds. I'm hoping people are not buying at these ridiculous prices. $2000 for 1K rounds is insane!!!

I load 250-rounds for $35. And if I cast my own Boolits, that price would be cut in half.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, at my local gunshop here, the 9mm ammo is at $39.00 a box of 50 and 45 ACP is at $59.00 for a box of 50. Just 4 months ago it was at $8.99 and $10.99. This is absolutely ridiculous, but we have to thank the idiotic conspiracy theorist fanatics out there for hoarding the ammo and screwing the rest of us out. There is a totally wrong idea out there that we are gonna have a civil war if the president is not re-elected and the other guy is. There is also another stupid theory that Biden will take our guns away <---- That one is the funniest one of all of them.

Let's get one thing very clear brothers, NO president can take our guns away. The constitution of the United States will not allow this.

The second amendment on the constitution clearly states:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

They can create laws to make it harder for us to get ammo by limiting the amount of ammo we can buy, but they cannot take our guns away.

We have had a total of 15 Democrat presidents in our history. NONE of them have taken our guns away. Why? Because they can't. History will tell you, over and over again, this ain't gonna happen.

2000: Remember Y2K? The experts were telling us that we were going to be sent back to the Stone Age because the computers were going to die when the clocked ticked into the first minute of the Year Two Thousand. Ammo – and bottled water – became scarce.

2008: The election of Barack Obama. I remember $20 bricks of .22 Long Rifle ammo selling for $100 bucks, and scalpers waiting in line in the early morning hours at Walmart (which at least didn't jack up the price) hoping for an ammo delivery.

2012: The re-election of President Obama, and the run on guns triggered by screams for gun confiscation after the Sandy Hook atrocity.

2016: The impending election of Hillary Clinton, who had promised to be the strictest "gun control" President evah! (The day after she lost, I understood how the British must have felt when they received word that the storm had sunk the oncoming Spanish Armada.)

And now, 2020: First, a pandemic in which the media warned us that the cops would be out sick and we'd be on our own. Then, the George Floyd riots in which some parts of some cities WERE on their own because the cops were so busy.

My point is gentleman: The hoarding of ammo is absolutely unnecessary. We have created our own shortage and hike in prices by going to the gun shops and buying all the ammo, and the ammo manufacturers are sitting back, laughing at us because they know the truth, but are happy as hell because we are putting millions in their pockets by creating this mass hysteria shortage and giving them a reason to jack the prices up.

Just my two cents.
They can do to us what California has done and that is limit mag sizes, ban certain types of weapons, (remember the Clinton assault weapon bans), and just keep nickel and diming us to death. It starts with concessions, we only wants this and then it snowballs. It has happened in the past and it can happen in the future. I haven't had to buy ammunition in awhile, yes I have cut back on mine and the Mrs. trips to the range, but I like many others on this site can hold off for a time but at some point we all are going to need to restock. Our Brothers that were wise enough to reload their own what happens when some moron decides to start a bill to have your supplies made illegal or tax it beyond reason. I am not a doom fanatic just addin my two cents.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
They can do to us what California has done and that is limit mag sizes, ban certain types of weapons, (remember the Clinton assault weapon bans), and just keep nickel and diming us to death. It starts with concessions, we only wants this and then it snowballs. It has happened in the past and it can happen in the future. I haven't had to buy ammunition in awhile, yes I have cut back on mine and the Mrs. trips to the range, but I like many others on this site can hold off for a time but at some point we all are going to need to restock. Our Brothers that were wise enough to reload their own what happens when some moron decides to start a bill to have your supplies made illegal or tax it beyond reason. I am not a doom fanatic just addin my two cents.

Very true.......many out there still believe the Constitution and 2nd A are rock solid.
These crooked scumbag politicians have been whittling away at them since the late fifties.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just as I have said so glad we saw all this in late Feb early March

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a friend that is considering unloading some primers and ammo at today's prices to fund a new Wilson CQB, if he does I will post them but at today's prices unfortunately but available. He estimates many (many to him is a bunch) of primers but shoots a lot weekly. Makes my supply seem small! We both have a combined standing order in the system now for a long time, combined for quantity.