Insane prices

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
from my reading, it isn't only hoarders that are the cause of the shortage. There are @ least 3 real factors , causing short supply.
In no order of level of influence, here's the 3 reasons I've read about.;
1) the influx of new, first time firearm purchasers. Record numbers of 1st time buyers purchased guns. Possibly due to fear from political issues, crime, etc..for whatever reason they decided "Now "they need a gun. Soon as the purchase is made, they realize they need ammo..& purchase some.
2) Gun owners notice either a diminishing stock of ammo where they buy, or an increase in price, as supply shrinks.
Both scarcity & inflated prices can occur @ the same time. This causes those who've been thru this cycle before (ammo scarcity) to
start trying to increase their ammo supply ( considered hoarding by by some)
3) Something that may be overlooked ..is manufacturing time & component shortage, for ammo makers.
One aspect of this is ammo plants had to shut down, by orders of our govt, due to the virus. Idled ammo factories don't make ammo..or components.
In addition, the lead mines were also closed, for the same reason. Mines in other countries were also closed. Hard to make bullets w/o lead.
U.S. mines, (most in Mo. I read ) were closed for 3 months. Pretty sure the ammo making industry isn't the only place mines sell their product.

Manufacturing halted, exhausted lead supply, many new gun owners, & hoarders..
these are very real reasons for the shortage..no conspiracy mentioned.

Wags

Fanatic
Great News! Texas AG has accused cheaperthandirt.com of price gouging according to thetruthaboutguns.com

Attachments

• 431AFEBA-E31E-4079-94C9-AC92DD54CD6E.png
    431AFEBA-E31E-4079-94C9-AC92DD54CD6E.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 4

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Great News! Texas AG has accused cheaperthandirt.com of price gouging according to thetruthaboutguns.com

Good to see this highlighted......they have done it for years. Screw CTD, I'll do without before I would give them a penny

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never seen anything cheaper than dirt on their site . I refuse to buy anything from them . What's the AG going to do , it's not against the law to be expensive ?

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never seen anything cheaper than dirt on their site . I refuse to buy anything from them . What's the AG going to do , it's not against the law to be expensive ?
If it can be proven that they were price gouging during a declared emergency than they can be fined and the principles could do jail time (not likely to happen. but?). It was and still is a declared state of emergency due to the pandemic. So it is a criminal act. I hope to hell that the A.G. has the proof and fines the dicks until they bleed. It would be nice if finally there was some justice in this mess.

Nikrnic

Well-Known Fanatic
So far the most I've paid was 35 a box of 50 for .45. Glad I'm stoked up, this could go on for another year or two or?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
So far the most I've paid was 35 a box of 50 for .45. Glad I'm stoked up, this could go on for another year or two or?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I remember the days of buying WWB for $12.99

I don't think so, but who knows. As with the Hillary scare, things went back to "normal" after a few months. I could go a year or two, shooting 9, 38S and 45, longer if I added .22lr

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I remember the days of buying WWB for $12.99

I don't think so, but who knows. As with the Hillary scare, things went back to "normal" after a few months. I could go a year or two, shooting 9, 38S and 45, longer if I added .22lr
That's my plan . I'm stocked pretty well , on ammo and reloading supplies . Rotating what I shoot , wheel guns getting a little more action , so no wasted brass . If I'm smart I can go a long time .

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." If I'm smart I can go a long time " That's part of a good plan.

My range has been closed, due to our Gov.'s order. Don't like it, but the way it is, for now.
Been spending my shut-in time getting some loading done. Placed an order for more poly coated bullets from Bayou..
they have a 12 week shipping backlog, as I last read.

With prices so crazy , I've considered selling some of my primer stash..they seem to be almost impossible to find, and that
has caused an associated price increase in cost. Hard to judge how to price them..I've sold some factory ammo out of my stash,
using ammoseek as a guide for what is a fair price @ this time.

With NO primers listed on that site, hard to judge what they should sell for, if I did decide to sell some.

I've read online that it may be a year or more before ammo & component suppliers can meet the current demand.

Busa Dave

Well-Known Fanatic
I sold 10k SR FGMM's 2 cases of 5k ea for 800 at a local gun show in November. Do not load anything with SR so the timing worked out great. Now would go for 500.00ea case.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
That's my plan . I'm stocked pretty well , on ammo and reloading supplies . Rotating what I shoot , wheel guns getting a little more action , so no wasted brass . If I'm smart I can go a long time .

I am using a tarp to more easily retain brass, pulled the brass catcher out of the basement for range use with rifles

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
A couple of times I've gone to my outdoor range after some local leos had some training . They left a serious bunch of brass lying around . And , yes I picked up as much as I could find and use . Waste not want not .

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
My local club re-opened their ranges..indoor range is limited to 8 shooters @ a time.
I usually go later @ night, 10, 11pm & always have the range to myself.
Working souls have to go to work..retirees can sleep in. ( One advantage to making it to retirement)

Went yesterday monring with a friend got there @ 10am & we still had the indoor range to ourselves..
when we left around noon, 1 guy came in as we were leaving..
Maybe the scarcity & increased cost of ammo have shooters in my area shooting less often ?

local gun forum has a lot of ammo posted for sale, @ more than double the original selling price.

I used to pick up brass from other shooters @ my club, but collected so much, I don't do this anymore.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
No ammo issues for me and friends here we saw it coming but so many have them what I see more is the amount of 22rf shot and less cf brass on the grounds here

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have not bought and cf ammo since early 2020 Feb most paid for rf was 4-1/2 cents round, just got it due to being there and saw it last 2 purchases of it.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have not bought and cf ammo since early 2020 Feb most paid for rf was 4-1/2 cents round, just got it due to being there and saw it last 2 purchases of it.
We went to Sheels today they had a few shot shells FEW, and some Wolf steel case rifle ammo in 2 sizes and enough of it, zero primers some powder was it period...…….. Gun dept was gutted mostly but very good supply on 9mm Ruger carbines--- very good--- and all models

Latest posts