IDPA in Oklahoma City

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
The rules are just a little different

You have to retain any ammo... Shoot targets in tactical sequence or priority... Concealment garments, no race gear.
A person could shoot IDPA with just about any popular pistol and 3 mags. If you shot the gun dry... You can drop the mag and reload- if not, those rounds must be retained.

It is a limited capacity game.... 10 round mags... Start with 11 max in the gun.

IDPA is revising the rules this year... Mostly to refine some dumb rules and account for the new guns on the market since the book was written.

BGAvitek

Fanatic
I've never shot an IDPA match, but after watching a bunch of hat-cam videos I would definitely like to try it out! Any updates on IDPA matches around OKC?

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
The new IDPA rule book is effective October 1, 2013. its an improvement over the 2005 rulebook and its various updates.

The strong suit of IDPA is that it is geared toward indiviuals that have pretty basic gear. You can go to an IDPA match with a centerfire pistol ,9mm or larger caliber, 3 magazines, a strong side holster and basic eye/ear protection. Most stages are shot with a concealment garment, such as a tactical vest, sportcoat or untucked shirt.

The typical IDPA gun can be basic, like a box-stock Glock 19/17, a Springfield Armory XD/XDM or a S&W M&P. There is a division for 1911's in .45 ACP. There are even a couple divisions for those who like to shoot nearly unmodified wheelguns, of 4" of less barrel length.

This basic aspect of what is required to begin shooting is IDPA's strength. Some individiuals start in IDPA, then move on to USPSA. with its greater equipment requirements in divsions other than production or single stack. Some move to Steel Challenge or just start there and stay there. Some start in IDPA and stay there.

I hope we all agree that getting new shooters into the shooting sports, ANY shooting sport, is what will further the continued growth of legal use of firearms, as well as our firearms heritage. IDPA is NOT in competition with other shooting disciplines. If anything, it is a doorway to get individuals into the shooting sports. Those disciplines who are afraid of IDPA taking away their shooters are misguided. If anything, IDPA will provide more shooters into other shooting sports; shooters that have match experience by that point, as well as an understanding of safety rules and match operations.

I am currently the only active IDPA Safety Officer Instructor in the State of Oklahoma. I would be pleased to provide Safety Officer instruction for any new club starting in the OKC area. I'm certain that the IDPA Area Coodinator for the AR/OK area will be pleased to help a new club trying to organize. It takes a place to shoot, as well as a team willing to work to produce safe, fun matches.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I'd be down for getting an IDPA match at Heartland Outdoors and getting certified as an RSO.

B

Beau

After watching the idpa nationals on shooting USA I really want to give it a try. It looks fun! If theres a match in okc I'll be there every time.

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
IDPA is fun, the scoring is time plus, accuracy is super important.

The order you shoot the targets is more regimented than in USPSA. I find myself getting procedurals relatively often as my brain will go into freestyle mode.

You can shoot IDPA almost every weekend in the Tulsa area...

I'd shoot USPSA, ProAm, or Three Gun any time over IDPA, but if nothing else is going on I gladly shoot it...

penman53

Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
It's pretty simple Burk. We don't have anyone willing to run the match. If u want to do it at okcgc it's gonna take a veteran with more match directing experience than say me.
Jessie, I think that there will be a lot of rookies to start. Jack O from Tulsa is going to get some experience SO's from Tulsa to come down for the first couple of matches to make the transition easier. I hope that will be enough. You shooting USPSA will not have a lot of difficulty transitioning.

GamerGun

New Fanatic
Here is a IDPA Match not to far away! :) Ft Worth Texas
Must have a IDPA membership number.

CTASA Sanctioned IDPA BUG MATCH March 15, 2014
This is only the 2nd Sanctioned Bug Match of IDPA, the 1st was Nationals in December.

www.CTASA.com www.CTIDPA.com
For more info visit our website at wwwCTASA.comCross Timbers Action Shooting AssociationThe divisions for scores and trophies will be as follows:
Semi-auto BUG (any caliber) Use SSP Division

Revolver BUG (any caliber) Use SSR Division

BIG BUG Semi-auto (e.g. 45 ACP ~165 PF) Use CDP Division

BIG BUG Revolver (e.g. 357 magnum ~165 PF) Use ESR DivisionSome Info:
*You may shoot one type of Gun (Revolver and Semi-auto) your choice

*You will not need a Holster or Mag pouches for the Match (a case will be fine)
If you have a holster it will be helpful, so bring it, mag pouch too.

*Finger extensions (Base Pads)on the magazines will be Ok, Larger magazines will not be able to be used, (Ex: Glock 19 mags in a 26)

*You do not need a BUG Classification , your regular IDPA classification will work.

8.2.6. Back Up gun (BUG)
8.2.6.1. Clubs may hold BUG matches where BUG guns compete in specially designed CoFs. BUG matches are club level only unless approved by IDPA Headquarters as a Specialty Match. To allow semi-automatic and revolver shooters to compete equally, all CoFs for BUG matches will be limited to five rounds per string, and firearms will start with five rounds maximum per string. No reloads may be performed on the clock.
8.2.6.2. A BUG match could consist of one or several stages, perhaps held at the same time as a normal club level match. A BUG stage could consist of a regular stage with a modified CoF procedure that complies with the five rounds per string limit.
8.2.6.2.1. Handguns permitted for use in BUG matches must:
8.2.6.2.1.1. Be single action, double action, double action only, or striker fired.
8.2.6.2.1.2. Be either semi-automatic or revolver.
8.2.6.2.1.3. Be a center fire caliber
8.2.6.2.1.4. Barrel length:
8.2.6.2.1.5. Semi-automatic: 3.8” or less.
8.2.6.2.1.6. Revolver: 3” or less.
8.2.6.3. BUG Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):
8.2.6.3.1. All BUGs
8.2.6.3.1.1. Storage locks may be disabled or removed.
8.2.6.3.1.2. Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.
8.3.6.3.1.3. Lasers that are incorporated into the firearm or sights are legal if they comply with all other division rules and the laser is not activated.
8.2.6.3.2. Revolvers:
8.2.6.3.2.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.
8.2.6.3.2.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.
8.2.6.3.2.3. Skateboard tape may be used. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
8.2.6.3.2.4. Bob hammer spur.
8.2.6.3.2.5. Chamfer cylinder.
8.2.6.3.2.6. Custom finishes.
8.2.6.3.3. Semi-Automatics:
8.2.6.3.3.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.
8.2.6.3.3.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.
8.2.6.3.3.3. Slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape.
8.2.6.3.3.4. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.
8.2.6.3.3.5. Reliability work to enhance feeding and ejection.
8.2.6.3.3.6. Internal accuracy work to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration.
8.2.6.3.3.7. Cone style barrels with or without a barrel bushing are permitted.
8.2.6.3.3.8. Custom finishes.
8.2.6.4. BUG Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
Refer to Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL DivisionsYou may have heard the rumors... well they are true CT will be hosting a Sanctioned IDPA BUG match on March 15, 2014 at CCCS Range in Cresson, TX (Just a few miles South of Ft. Worth

This match will be open to all IDPA classified shooters, Match fee $60 for single division entry

As the title implies this will be a BUG (Back Up Gun) sanctioned IDPA match, all current IDPA competition and BUG equipment rules will be enforced
The match will consist of 12-16 stages
Trophies will be awarded based on IDPA rules in all IDPA divisions and classifications.
This will be a lost-brass match.

MATCH REGISTRATION HERE: Sign up today!

http://www.matchsign....php?matchid=57

The Divisions and Classifications will be handled a bit different from traditional IDPA as BUG guns are not used in classification. The divisions for scores and trophies will be as follows:

1. Semi-auto BUG (any caliber) [class based on highest (ESP/SSP) semi-auto classification]
  2. Revolver BUG (any caliber) [class based on highest (SSR/ESR) revolver classification]
  3. BIG BUG Semi-auto (e.g. 45 ACP ~165 PF) [class based on CDP classification]
  4. BIG BUG Revolver (e.g. 357 magnum ~165 PF) [class based on highest (SSR/ESR) revolver classification]

In addition to the division and classes listed above we will have some special subdivisions.

Schedule:
SATURDAY March 15, 2014
2013 BUG “Bring-Uh-Gun” IDPA Championship Match
8:00 AM Shooter's Registration
8:30 AM Shooter's meeting
9:00 AM Shooting begins
11:30 AM - 2:00 PM Lunch available
?? PM Awards and prize table

jtischauser

I've completed the first ten questions on the pre test. Dang IDPA has a lot of rules to read thru!

jtischauser

GamerGun said:
Here is a IDPA Match not to far away! :) Ft Worth Texas
Must have a IDPA membership number.

CTASA Sanctioned IDPA BUG MATCH March 15, 2014
This is only the 2nd Sanctioned Bug Match of IDPA, the 1st was Nationals in December.

www.CTASA.com www.CTIDPA.com
For more info visit our website at wwwCTASA.comCross Timbers Action Shooting AssociationThe divisions for scores and trophies will be as follows:
Semi-auto BUG (any caliber) Use SSP Division
Revolver BUG (any caliber) Use SSR Division
BIG BUG Semi-auto (e.g. 45 ACP ~165 PF) Use CDP Division
BIG BUG Revolver (e.g. 357 magnum ~165 PF) Use ESR DivisionSome Info:
*You may shoot one type of Gun (Revolver and Semi-auto) your choice
*You will not need a Holster or Mag pouches for the Match (a case will be fine)
If you have a holster it will be helpful, so bring it, mag pouch too.
*Finger extensions (Base Pads)on the magazines will be Ok, Larger magazines will not be able to be used, (Ex: Glock 19 mags in a 26)
*You do not need a BUG Classification , your regular IDPA classification will work.8.2.6. Back Up gun (BUG)8.2.6.1. Clubs may hold BUG matches where BUG guns compete in specially designed CoFs. BUG matches are club level only unless approved by IDPA Headquarters as a Specialty Match. To allow semi-automatic and revolver shooters to compete equally, all CoFs for BUG matches will be limited to five rounds per string, and firearms will start with five rounds maximum per string. No reloads may be performed on the clock.8.2.6.2. A BUG match could consist of one or several stages, perhaps held at the same time as a normal club level match. A BUG stage could consist of a regular stage with a modified CoF procedure that complies with the five rounds per string limit.8.2.6.2.1. Handguns permitted for use in BUG matches must:8.2.6.2.1.1. Be single action, double action, double action only, or striker fired.8.2.6.2.1.2. Be either semi-automatic or revolver.8.2.6.2.1.3. Be a center fire caliber8.2.6.2.1.4. Barrel length:8.2.6.2.1.5. Semi-automatic: 3.8” or less.8.2.6.2.1.6. Revolver: 3” or less.8.2.6.3. BUG Permitted Modifications (Inclusive list):8.2.6.3.1. All BUGs8.2.6.3.1.1. Storage locks may be disabled or removed.8.2.6.3.1.2. Magazine disconnects may be disabled or removed.8.3.6.3.1.3. Lasers that are incorporated into the firearm or sights are legal if they comply with all other division rules and the laser is not activated.8.2.6.3.2. Revolvers:8.2.6.3.2.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.8.2.6.3.2.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.8.2.6.3.2.3. Skateboard tape may be used. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.8.2.6.3.2.4. Bob hammer spur.8.2.6.3.2.5. Chamfer cylinder.8.2.6.3.2.6. Custom finishes.8.2.6.3.3. Semi-Automatics:8.2.6.3.3.1. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type.8.2.6.3.3.2. Grips to another style or material that is similar to factory configuration.8.2.6.3.3.3. Slip-on grip sock and/or skateboard tape.8.2.6.3.3.4. Action work to enhance trigger pull as long as safety is maintained.8.2.6.3.3.5. Reliability work to enhance feeding and ejection.8.2.6.3.3.6. Internal accuracy work to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration.8.2.6.3.3.7. Cone style barrels with or without a barrel bushing are permitted.8.2.6.3.3.8. Custom finishes.8.2.6.4. BUG Excluded Modifications (Non-Inclusive list):
Refer to Non-IDPA-Legal Modifications for ALL DivisionsYou may have heard the rumors... well they are true CT will be hosting a Sanctioned IDPA BUG match on March 15, 2014 at CCCS Range in Cresson, TX (Just a few miles South of Ft. Worth
This match will be open to all IDPA classified shooters, Match fee $60 for single division entry
As the title implies this will be a BUG (Back Up Gun) sanctioned IDPA match, all current IDPA competition and BUG equipment rules will be enforced
The match will consist of 12-16 stages
Trophies will be awarded based on IDPA rules in all IDPA divisions and classifications.
This will be a lost-brass match.MATCH REGISTRATION HERE: Sign up today!http://www.matchsign....php?matchid=57
The Divisions and Classifications will be handled a bit different from traditional IDPA as BUG guns are not used in classification. The divisions for scores and trophies will be as follows:
  • Semi-auto BUG (any caliber) [class based on highest (ESP/SSP) semi-auto classification]
  • Revolver BUG (any caliber) [class based on highest (SSR/ESR) revolver classification]
  • BIG BUG Semi-auto (e.g. 45 ACP ~165 PF) [class based on CDP classification]
  • BIG BUG Revolver (e.g. 357 magnum ~165 PF) [class based on highest (SSR/ESR) revolver classification]
In addition to the division and classes listed above we will have some special subdivisions.

Schedule:
SATURDAY March 15, 20142013 BUG “Bring-Uh-Gun” IDPA Championship Match
8:00 AM Shooter's Registration
8:30 AM Shooter's meeting
9:00 AM Shooting begins
11:30 AM - 2:00 PM Lunch available
?? PM Awards and prize table
We have a bunch of members from Texas. We would love to have regular match announcements posted over in our Local match announcements forum for Texas. Here is a link...

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php/forum/148-texas/

penman53

Fanatic
At last nights board meeting I received approval for starting an IDPA chapter at the gun club with one caveat. The board members wanted to make sure that I was not going to go this road alone. I have decided that before I commit to this task, I will be seeking a volunteer to be a co chair of the newly formed IDPA division. This person must be a Oklahoma City Gun Club member in good standing, must be willing to attend the IDPA training class conducted on March 8 at Oil Capital with Jack Ostedorf and be willing to share the responsibilities of helping run the match as far as match director when needed and also help with the coordination of build up and tear down of the range after the matches. I also confirmed with the other two users of the range Cowboy Action and the USPSA folks that the only day available to conduct the match would be the 3rd Sunday of the month and two months out of the year the range would not be available due to prior commitments with the Cowboy action shooters. Due to additional training of Safety Officers and training for Oklahoma City Gun Club range officials with practice matches, the actual matches would not start until May. I will also be posting the announcement on the Oklahoma Shooters website and the OKC Gun Club Primer. Anyone interested in becoming a Safety Officer or the Co Chair please contact me off list at [email protected]. Thanks so much in advance. Mark Thomas

jtischauser

Man I wish I could volunteer to help more with this. As much as poke fun of IDPA I really want to see it succeed here at OKCGC. I just can't commit to any dates as I'll be traveling 2-3 weekends every month this year.

B

Beau

Y'all get the email from jack about having to retake the so class if you haven't been a idpa member for more than 6 months?

Latest posts