IDPA in Oklahoma City

buzzdraw

Active Fanatic
Weatherford now has IDPA at the Tin Star facility. I held a SO Certification class for them just a few weeks ago. They are a fine bunch of folks!

Hinton IDPA is shuttered for the last few months. Tom is still operating a retail firearms sales facility.

The match director for the former IDPA club at H & H has moved on to other things and is no longer in the sport. The USPSA club at H & H is doing quite well.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Weatherford now has IDPA at the Tin Star facility. I held a SO Certification class for them just a few weeks ago. They are a fine bunch of folks!

Hinton IDPA is shuttered for the last few months. Tom is still operating a retail firearms sales facility.

The match director for the former IDPA club at H & H has moved on to other things and is no longer in the sport. The USPSA club at H & H is doing quite well.
Did Tom sell his range? I know he was trying for quite some time.

C Hyde

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe he still has his shop open, but the range in back, had some problems with the ventilation system and he was not fixing it. So he closed the range.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
not trying to start an argument, but IPSC/ICORE are pistol shooting COMPETITIONS, IDPA is DEFENSIVE pistol. Its focus in training and teaching a person to handle their weapon in a SELF DEFENSE capacity, not a competitive function. I dont think you focus on time as much as using cover effectively and if your mindset is correct then IDPA is a training experience. While some people train to shoot, others shoot to train. Its opinion but I think that while the differences seem subtle its a different mindset, and takes a different mentality. I just wish there was somewhere to shoot in a tactical capacity without having to pay $1500 for some training course. While those are good, I just want to shoot.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Anytime there is a timer and someone scoring targets, youre in a game. What you put into, or take away from, that game is an individual thing.

In theory, IDPA is "defensive" based. My thing about IDPA is there are rules. A lot of rules. And in the real world, such rules really don't exist.

The thing I like about USPSA is this: they tell you what the problem is and out is up to you to work your way through the problem based on your level of skill.

Not bashing IDPA, I've played it. It was fun. But there is no such thing as a "tactical" game.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree Troy, there are a lot of rules in IDPA which I find difficult to place in "tactical" situation. So whats the next step, while shooting at cardboard may develop accuracy, how can one train for that adrenaline pumping moment when the target your staring at is flesh and blood and bone and hes trying to kill you.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Well the D in IDPA may stand for defensive but any organization that requires you to run behind a barrel before you can even eject the empty magazine from your firearm and says you need keep a malfunctioning magazine isn't fully based in reality.

They are all games, they have timers, rules, rankings, awards, and national championships, and the people who are good at one are typically good at others since they know how to run a handgun well.

As for a class costing $1,500. TDSA charges what, $400 for a 2 day class with 20+ hours of instruction by the best teachers in Oklahoma.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I agree Troy, there are a lot of rules in IDPA which I find difficult to place in "tactical" situation. So whats the next step, while shooting at cardboard may develop accuracy, how can one train for that adrenaline pumping moment when the target your staring at is flesh and blood and bone and hes trying to kill you.

Force on force with TDSA would be my guess. But there's nothing like lots of fast paced competitive shooting to make running a firearm a subconscious act.

TroyF

TheBearcat
I want my gun handling at the highest possible level, performed in my subconscious, so my conscious mind is free to analyze what is going on around me. I think USPSA is a great way to develop those subconscious skill sets.

Strokin04

Grits N Gravy
Listen to Troy, he is a bad ass mofo... I am not big on wearing a fishing vest, so I will stick with USPSA.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
So I guess Im gonna be starting USPSA then. Where do you guys shoot or where to you recommend?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Shooting at the gun club on the first Saturday of every month is really the best bet, IMO. I did USPSA at H&H once, but the retarded location of the ventilation fans made it very unpleasant to be at the middle and rear of the bays. Heartland Outdoors in Edmond has extremely nice indoor shooting, climate controlled and exceptionally well-designed airflow, but it isn't a sanctioned match. I'd shoot it every time if it weren't in heavy conflict with parenting (Sunday is a school night).

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Shoot them all and decide what gives you the most of what your looking for out of your time and $. If you're like the rest of us trigger pulling junkies you will shoot ever organized shootig event your time off and wallet will allow. Tin Star in Weatherford and USSA in Tulsa have IDPA matches.

We just finished shooting a very defensive style carry gun match at Heartland Outdoors in Edmond.

Next up is the big 3 gun matches at okc gun club and USSA this Saturday. If you want to be fast and proficient in any defensive situation get into 3 gun as it is the most challenging mentally and physically and requires the must ammo!

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Timer and score? It's been stated already. Defense? Like religion and politics everyone has their views. The match director makes or breaks the match with course design. Skills still apply like front sight and trigger press.
I dislike a lot about IDPA, but dislike things about IPSC/USPSA and TSA as well. My favorite rules are TSA (org) but they are all fun if you only worry about doing your part. Shoot an IDPA match like you want and accept the procedurals. Shoot an IPSC match like an IDPA match and have worse raw times. It is what the shooter wants to get out of the match that matters but there is no way any of the games can be considered training.
Not everyone has the money for ammo even in production or a healthy body that IPSC many times requires but many times an IDPA match is cheaper to shoot and easier on the body. Some just want to feel they can use their carry gear. I have seen many start in IDPA and switch to IPSC as their pri sport but come back and shoot IDPA when they have the time. The premise behind IDPA I think appeals to many therefore folks are less hesitant to get into it. Once they do they try other disciplines and this is great for the shooting sports, industry and the local gun ranges. I will swear about IDPA worse than any and have, but I still shoot it for the good natured folks that are usually in attendance and it is trigger time.
Support all disciplines and shoot as many different matches as Jesse has mentioned. Divided we fall.

Jerry

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Well put, as you said, "its trigger time", and thats what I really want...I guess Ill just have to shoot, and see where it goes from there.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
A sanctioned match in the OKC metro would probably roll. Weatherford got 40 shooters in January.. and they have been growing a little bit every month.

Rules? Your gonna have rules. Retention of a partial mag?...Drop a mag in the swamp you want to find later--- that's a good habit to be in. Shooting to slide lock everytime?... not a very good habit to get into... especially for defensive shooters. Effective use of cover? (even if it's contrived?)... beats getting in the habit of standing flat footed in the open with the gun blazing.

Both are fun...either will make you a better shooter... but the mindset for the games eminates from a different ageda.