IDPA in Oklahoma City

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I was only at Hinton a short time. A few others might have a better view. It seemed though that the attendance before I had to travel for 3-4 matches beginning 2011 had increased and we were running anywhere from 12 -20 shooters Everyone came from somewhere else like the OKC area and a handful up from Lawton.
I see the biggest down side to starting IDPA is two fold. Mostly that IPSC is established and that is what is discussed and then comments like tac loads etc turn into bashing.. So folks without knowing jack carry on talking jack and not wanting to try it. The second is there are a lot of matches already. Before I moved I had the luxury of shooting both days of every weekend and sometimes during the week, I worked 8 days a week (jobs overlaped on Sat and Mon) and ran matches on the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Sats. It got to where I only shot our multi gun matches a couple times a year from burnout. I would shoot IPSC a couple times a yr because some of those guys would shoot our matches, especially the multigun. In saying you had to pick the matches you wanted to shoot, so I had no time to run and gun. It is great fun, but my goals were defensive so I shot IDPA and TSA. Really wish TSA would had took off. It is a nice blend of IDPA and IPSC. What I saw was folks that were getting started shooting competition, folks with a defensive mindset, older shooters mobility challenged (some of the best shooters) and folks that didn't want to feel like they had to have a bunch of upgrades and those wanting to feel competitive with their carry gear.
IDPA I feel is harder with the exception for the longest shots in IPSC. You have to clear a cover garment, you have to plan the stage and stay behind cover and you have less mag capacity to make up for poor shots or major vs minor, scoring is not based on the stage winner but the actual score (real feedback) as is the classifier. Reloads like the draw one has to clear a cover garment and of course something that resembles a basic holster with a nod to production. It was the principal of basic gear that got production rolling.
Production is not IDPA nor is David's matches - not by far. As far as the best shooters they go where the money is. I had not shot hardly in a long while and not since Feb of 2011 yet when I went and shot Nov and Dec I did alright and the scores show that, but I was sloppy and slow from no practice. Again I did ok AND I was using an IWB holster w/ cover garment. So those that may think IDPA shooters can not get it done, well I know a few that are very good and would hold their own with pistols. Why did I bring that up because it seems folks are embarrassed or afraid to shoot IDPA because others may rag them for it. Heck maybe lose out on their attendance. That is why we had made a gentleman's pack about scheduling.
I do believe if folks would stop ragging on IDPA, more would want to ask about it and shoot it. The few matches I have left will be shotgun or multigun so I am not trying to get a club to shoot IDPA. Just throwing out a bunch of thoughts. Seems this sight is a great place to talk multigun and IPSC or even calenders/booth babes etc, but IDPA gets shunned. Might mean something.
I would hope everyone on this board wants to promote the shooting industry. Not having an IDPA club/match hurts the shooting industry and could keep a group of folks from shooting. Your words and comments do impact others, especially those that are thought to be the big dogs. Want to promote the industry setup 2-3 IDPA matches to get a feel if there is an audience for it then turn it over to a range, organization, or one who wants to run with it. Hell someone may even like it though you wouldn't have to admit it and lose your cool status amongst your peers.
:sorry:
Now lets talk multigun where I have to listen :13:

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If there was IDPA in OKC I bet it would be as busy or busier than the 80-100 shooter USPSA match at OKCGC and there would be a lot more discussion of the sport on this forum.

I think more guys are interested in learning to shoot their carry gun rather than getting a special gun just to shoot competitions.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree I think there would be a large group. How large i dont know that or would hate to guess. If Hinton could pull 20 shooters and Weatherford 40 it is evident someone wants to shoot it.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd be game to shoot it as long as it didn't conflict with any USPSA matches. I shot one lone match at Hinton and it was fun. Different, but fun. It's just a different game.

dennishoddy

If there was IDPA in OKC I bet it would be as busy or busier than the 80-100 shooter USPSA match at OKCGC and there would be a lot more discussion of the sport on this forum.

I think more guys are interested in learning to shoot their carry gun rather than getting a special gun just to shoot competitions.

Exactly the reason I started shooting USPSA and the occacional carry gun match at Heartland. I actually shoot my carry gun at Heartland.

At Ponca and USAA, I will shoot the .45 that I don't normally carry, but its a different game than the carry gun match in my opinion.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
That's it, a different game; and like with my circumstances before my move you have to pick which matches to shoot and the ones you are going to miss. I wonder if the matches (if one were to run with it) would have to be held during the week because of the previously scheduled weekend matches?

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks,
I was just wondering if that would make it easier to work around the busy weekend match schedule, to include church.

dennishoddy

Weeknight matches would be a huge success in OKC.

I could see that in OKC. Our week day matches are pretty much locals.

One match we had during the week was a water cup match that drew up to 20 folks or so. The director had to move out of town, but it involved a steel plate with 8 oz plastic water cups on it. 15 yds.
.22 rimfire pistol was the only weapon allowed. One had to hit the cup, full of water, and make it completely go off the steel plate. A direct hit would make the cup explode, but a near miss would have water trickling out of the cup. A shot into the plastic cup without water in it would not move it.
Its actually more challenging than it sounds. We had whole families show up, sharing a pistol, etc. Kids love to see a target explode. We need to think about this some more.

Chambers

actual GM
At that BOTW range down in TX they supposedly have a Wednesday night rifle match.

Taping flashlights to your handguard and running and gunning is seriously some of the most fun I've ever had.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I don't think the problem lies in having shooters that would shoot its having match directors that will run the matches.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I could see that in OKC. Our week day matches are pretty much locals.

One match we had during the week was a water cup match that drew up to 20 folks or so. The director had to move out of town, but it involved a steel plate with 8 oz plastic water cups on it. 15 yds.
.22 rimfire pistol was the only weapon allowed. One had to hit the cup, full of water, and make it completely go off the steel plate. A direct hit would make the cup explode, but a near miss would have water trickling out of the cup. A shot into the plastic cup without water in it would not move it.
Its actually more challenging than it sounds. We had whole families show up, sharing a pistol, etc. Kids love to see a target explode. We need to think about this some more.

Sounds like a spin off from pins but fun for the whole family as well as harder. I would love to see that and try it a couple of times.

dennishoddy

We used to do the bowling pin matches, but haven't in a long time. Times, matches change.

It was only a $5 entry fee if I remember right, so that made it even more affordable for a family that wanted to shoot. Can't take a family of four to a movie for the match price of $20, and a box of bulk ammo. :D

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
It was only a $5 entry fee if I remember right, so that made it even more affordable for a family that wanted to shoot. Can't take a family of four to a movie for the match price of $20, and a box of bulk ammo. :D
Movies ain't near as much fun either..

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
sounds like someone needs to move to OKC and start running a match!!!

Yep if there is no one local I guess you should have one shipped in ;-) I have a friend that works from home you might pay for his relocation but that would have to involve walking out the back door to shoot ;-)

I tried to help Hinton out when I found out about them, but that was because a buddy dragged me into it. After 10 years running a club the only thing I miss is easy access to the range and the club members. I am still burned out and really don't have the patience to start a bunch of new shooters or coddle and explain why IDPA does things differently. Now if there was a place close and they were wanting to shoot using TSA rules which has multigun..... I might help them get started. :)