IDPA in Oklahoma City

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I have asked this before and didn't really get a good answer. Jerry, maybe you can offer your opinion. Why aren't there any IDPA [sanctioned] matches in OKC? We have one of the nicest clubs in the country (OKCGC). I know there are IDPA matches at ITPSC in Duke and Hinton but none in OKC.

We have every other discipline, why no IDPA? I think a lot of people would participate if there was access to a match locally.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i think you might be surprised by how many people would ACTUALLY participate (i mean i think there would be a low turnout)... people aren't really into tactical reloads, etc... they just want to shoot fun stages which is what uspsa is....

PDN

Well-Known Fanatic
How is the participation in Duke and Hinton? If it's good there.. then I would expect it to be better here given the much larger OKC metro area. I'd be interested in participating if matches were offered locally.

-Paul

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
You may be right Ben-Ben (about the turnout) but IDPA is just another brand of competition like USPSA, Steel Challenge, ICORE, etc and we have those nearly every weekend.

I want to keep this from becoming an IPSC vs IDPA argument, just really curious why we don't have an IDPA presence in the OKC area. or maybe we did and it went away?

BC

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
It's pretty simple Burk. We don't have anyone willing to run the match. If u want to do it at okcgc it's gonna take a veteran with more match directing experience than say me.

TroyF

TheBearcat
I think there was an IDPA club at H&H. This would have been years ago. If I remember correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I think their agreement with H&H ran out and the club just fizzled away.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I think there was an IDPA club at H&H. This would have been years ago. If I remember correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, I think their agreement with H&H ran out and the club just fizzled away.

Does anyone remember who the match director was?

okie-carbine

Well-Known Fanatic
im pretty sure that the firing pin has quit doing matches. i think he might have even sold the place or closed? i dunno.

xdnok

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe that IDPA is a little more popular in eastern Oklahoma. I have been to several matches at USSA and at Oil capital with maybe 40 people shooting. It's kinda fun to do :p

Wes

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
and as far as itpsc goes, rod snell said that this month nobody showed up to shoot.

this is why you don't see it... i know people say i would try anything once, but for a match to really get going people have to come back more than once.... not trying to be the negative nancy, just saying the demand isn't there...

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
this is why you don't see it... i know people say i would try anything once, but for a match to really get going people have to come back more than once.... not trying to be the negative nancy, just saying the demand isn't there...
I know you are right but it is hard for me to get my head around. Our Heartland Match is "IDPA-like" and it supported 2 matches a month for a while

and as far as itpsc goes, rod snell said that this month nobody showed up to shoot.

No offense to my home boys in SW OK but that is a long-ass way to drive, from anywhere
wink.gif

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I am sure an IDPA match would succeed here in OKC on desire alone. The only thing that I forsee would hurt the match is an over abundance of other badass matches taking shooters time and ammo instead.

Latest posts