IDPA at OKC Gun Club

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Jeff said:
I've seen texas stars and some pretty good clamshell and pop up and moving targets at IDPA matches... so maybe they just don't know how to read a stage book in Nebraska
Texas stars are no longer allowed in IDPA.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
poopgiggle said:

why not? what about the scenario where 5 bad guys come to attack you at the state fair and two guys are laying down with 2 guys on either side taking a knee and 1 guy standing up in the middle and everytime you shoot one it scares the other guys into taking that guys position...

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
benjamin-benjamin said:
why not? what about the scenario where 5 bad guys come to attack you at the state fair and two guys are laying down with 2 guys on either side taking a knee and 1 guy standing up in the middle and everytime you shoot one it scares the other guys into taking that guys position...
That actually happened to me last year at the fair.................

mikey80

Negative Approach
stan686 said:
I have a love hate relationship with the T star.
If you do it right, they don't move. Kinda like in Saturday night.....

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
It looks like the first and third Sunday of the month are open.
I don't think I would shoot IDPA, but I said the same thing about Steel Challenge and I have darkened their doorway. All my guns have 5" or longer barrels, so I am out. You can still put me down as interested because I like to see shooting sports grow. I am a senior member.
BTW, what is intimidating about UPSA?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
No.343 said:
All my guns have 5" or longer barrels, so I am out.
We are not giving up. I have a bath robe and a 2011. And I quote:

"The strong suit of IDPA is that it is geared toward indiviuals that have pretty basic gear. You can go to an IDPA match with a centerfire pistol ,9mm or larger caliber, 3 magazines, a strong side holster and basic eye/ear protection. Most stages are shot with a concealment garment, such as a tactical vest, sportcoat or untucked shirt. "

We will just hold people to this quote.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
No.343 said:
BTW, what is intimidating about UPSA?
If nothing else, the round counts are higher so it's more expensive to participate.

I also think that USPSA-style shooting just looks insanely fast and difficult to people who've never done it before. That was certainly my impression before I started.

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
If nothing else, the round counts are higher so it's more expensive to participate.

I also think that USPSA-style shooting just looks insanely fast and difficult to people who've never done it before. That was certainly my impression before I started.
It's funny. I shot a little IHMSA and bullseye before I came to USPSA and I thought it looked like those guys moved fast, but they just can't shoot.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
And neither are mag pouches with thumb adjustment screws...

My brother was big into IDPA, involved in organizing and stage planning at his club for a few years, made it to master in one of the divisions. He said recently IDPA has been making some rediculous rules, like the mag pouches for example. He still shoots the matches because of the friends he has made, but focuses on USPSA now.

I don't really have anything justifiable against IDPA, I have only shot 2 matches, one was a day after a USPSA match, I knew at that point, I didn't like IDPA that much. If IDPA does happen out at our club I suppose I should take advantage of it from time to time, USPSA and 3-Gun would come first, IDPA would be a decent back up if I couldn't make either of those that month.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeff said:
In all seriousness... do you carry that 2011 or keep it in a night table?

We shoot outdoors ... last week it was under 30 and we had snow on the ground.... when was the last time you shot anything resembling a "carry gun" from under your winter coat?

Like the man said- if your not interested....
In all seriousness... do you carry that 2011 or keep it in a night table? Actually it stays in the safe with the S&W 610, I like to practice reloading and dry fire drills with them but continue to use the glocks and a kahr for competition and self defense. I just need to suck it up and pay the little extra for some .40 projectiles then I will shoot some matches with them. The 2011 is the STI tactical without the full dust cover but surely the mag well will make it illegal.

We shoot outdoors ... last week it was under 30 and we had snow on the ground.... Snow was gone this weekend but it was 32 we had a train up for precision rifle then a friendly match were everyone threw in a 20 winner take all & there were stickers on the ground ...

when was the last time you shot anything resembling a "carry gun" from under your winter coat? just had a hoodie on but a skunk happed along in front of the tractor when I was doing dirt work for my outdoor range. Skunk lost, kahr won, range stunk.

Jeff in all seriousness I was contemplating this IDPA, I have not looked at the rules but enjoy shooting. My carry gun and home defense guns are stock they work and are always loaded with Self Defense ammo. The competition guns are what they are reliable, modified and worn from constant usage but typically kept unloaded and often dry fired.

I kinda like Mitch's idea about a bathrobe, rule says you cover it up be loud and proud nothing wrong with a little humor. (I don't see me wearing a bathrobe)

On a serious note the last time I saw a competitor shooting what he carries was Donovan Mills, we were at a SCRAP steel challenge, he had a compact STI 2011 running .40 Gold Dot self defense ammo because that's all he had. After the first trigger pull I heard someone off to the side say that's definitely major power ammo, I could not stop laughing.

Not starting a pissing contest with you, we both shoot and enjoy matches you said it best above.

Like the man said- if your not interested....

Later Corey

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You know, I have a Walther PPS that I carry and have two mags for. It feeds and shoots the ammo I make for the 2011 just fine. Maybe I could just get another mag for it and call it good. It sounds like there is a limit on rounds per stage. Is that right? If so, what is the number?

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
With the interest that is being shown for possibly expanding IDPA in to our gun club, I just thought I'd share the latest email that was received from IDPA HQ.
-------------------------------------------------------------

To:
All IDPA Members
Joyce Wilson, Executive Director, IDPA
Date:
December 18, 2013
Re:
2013 Retrospective and Area Coordinator Applications

Happy Holidays to all our members near and far. This year has been tremendously difficult and fulfilling at the same time. When the Founders started this sport in 1996, they never envisioned that it would grow and thrive as it has this last year. Neither did they think that they would ever need more than a ten or fifteen page rulebook. They assumed that the Founding Principles would be enough to guide the sport.

Sixteen years later, as we began one of the biggest growth spurts that we had ever seen, we realized that while all of our members had good intentions, we would need to clarify rules to make match officiating across the country and around the world more equitable. And, while the Founders had always been the keepers of the rule revisions, we knew that it was time to obtain input from our members to gain insight as to just how matches were being run. So we embarked on a quest to clarify the rules based on the Founding Principles and those thoughts that the Founders had as they developed the sport.

We knew that this would be a painful process and that we might lose a portion of our membership. The organization had become somewhat segmented as to how matches were actually being officiated. “Tribal Rules” became the catch phrase as members would travel across the country to compete. It was time to re-center the sport; or at least to give it a nudge back to the original intention. It was also time to hold our administration to a higher level as well. From Area Coordinators to Safety Officers, we needed to make sure that they not only understood the rules but would run the matches to the best of their ability by the rulebook. We also wanted Safety Officer Instructors to make sure that the new Safety Officers were able to officiate safely and consistently as well.

In September at the 2013 IDPA Nationals, we announced that there would likely be some changes as the responsibilities of our Area Coordinators, Safety Officer Instructors and SOs changed. During our work on the new rulebook, the qualifications and responsibilities for ACs were codified and ratified by current ACs and the Board of Directors. This information has been posted on the IDPA website, along with an application for members who meet the qualifications and who are interested in applying for the position of AC in their area: www.idpa.com/misc/ac.

Our Area Coordinators work hard as the liaison in their areas of responsibility and play an enormous part in the success of IDPA. We hold these individuals to a higher standard, based on the importance of this position. Due to other responsibilities and personal goals, we sometimes lose ACs in specific areas, or open up new areas based on increasing club/member numbers. Beginning Dec. 23rd â€" Jan. 15th, IDPA HQ will be accepting applications for AC candidates in the following areas: SC/NC; WI/MN; WA/AK/OR; and VA. Once selected (by Jan. 31st), we will be announcing the new ACs on the IDPA Facebook page. Nominations should be sent to [email protected].

Along with developing a whole new website and rulebook, we were essentially redeveloping the framework of the sport. It was painful, it is still somewhat painful as we are still growing and finishing our improvements. But it is positioning IDPA to be able to fulfill the needs of the membership as the sport continues to grow. It will allow us to be more responsive to member input and with the continued use of the Tiger Teams, obtain more member input.

While we realize that we may have lost members over the decisions of the last year, we have also gained members because of those same decisions. While we won’t please everyone, we’re hoping to make IDPA a fair and equitable sport that continues to simulate real life scenarios. We hope that you’ll continue to enjoy our sport. We wish you well in what ever sport you choose to compete. Just keep shooting and exercising your right to keep and bear arms.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
You know, I have a Walther PPS that I carry and have two mags for. It feeds and shoots the ammo I make for the 2011 just fine. Maybe I could just get another mag for it and call it good. It sounds like there is a limit on rounds per stage. Is that right? If so, what is the number?
Mitch, the rule book can be found on the IDPA website, http://www.idpa.com/

I'm sure that you'll find the answers to your questions there.

"The rules are, there aint no rules!"

Everyone follows rules, whether they know it or not.

I think that with the right positive mental attitude, desire to compete, and a sense of good sportsmanship, any of the ipsc shooters could have a blast shooting IDPA; and vice-versa.

Dont make fun of shooters from a different discipline, because they are our brothers and sisters.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
mike cyrwus said:
I think that with the right positive mental attitude, desire to compete, and a sense of good sportsmanship, any of the ipsc shooters could have a blast shooting IDPA; and vice-versa.

Dont make fun of shooters from a different discipline, because they are our brothers and sisters.

Best post in this thread..................

I might have to change your title to Overlord of Ballistic Love

Latest posts