IDPA at OKC Gun Club

penman53

Fanatic
I am the division chair for the pistol division at the Oklahoma City Gun Club and I am considering brining this topic up at the next board meeting in January. If I could get some idea of how many people gun club members or not that would be interested in participating in IDPA at the Okc Gun Club, there may be a weekend day available. I would have to clear this with the board and the cowboy action and action pistol division chairs of course. But any feedback to me would be appreciated.

Mark Thomas
[email protected]

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
OKCGC member: INTERESTED!

PS. As long as the day you are talking about coming available isn't the day we currently use for our 3-gun match

penman53 said:
I am the division chair for the pistol division at the Oklahoma City Gun Club and I am considering brining this topic up at the next board meeting in January. If I could get some idea of how many people gun club members or not that would be interested in participating in IDPA at the OKC Gun Club, there may be a weekend day available. I would have to clear this with the board and the cowboy action and action pistol division chairs of course. But any feedback to me would be appreciated.

Mark Thomas
[email protected]

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
penman53 said:
I am the division chair for the pistol division at the Oklahoma City Gun Club and I am considering brining this topic up at the next board meeting in January. If I could get some idea of how many people gun club members or not that would be interested in participating in IDPA at the Okc Gun Club, there may be a weekend day available. I would have to clear this with the board and the cowboy action and action pistol division chairs of course. But any feedback to me would be appreciated.

Mark Thomas
[email protected]
OKCGC member = interested

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
penman53 said:

Mark Thomas
[email protected]
OKCGC Voting Member = Interested.

I'm sure we could get 50 or more shooters to attend IDPA matches at OKCGC.

I'd love to start a summer league week night steel challenge deal too. Is even volunteer to set it up and run it.

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
IDPA is huge at USSA. It's always bigger than USPSA. Brings out lots of people who are intimidated by USPSA.

I personally think the rules kill the fun of it, but I suspect it would be huge at OKCGC.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I would try it, but I don't see a fishing vest in my future. Can you just wear a large shirt to cover the gun/mags?

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:

I would try it, but I don't see a fishing vest in my future. Can you just wear a large shirt to cover the gun/mags?
There is a rule book that will line all that out for you...

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
OKCGC member: INTERESTED

Just as long as it doesn't conflict USPSA, ICORE/Steel Challenge, or 3 gun. I'll shoot it, but IDPA rules will most definitely stop it from replacing the other mentioned disciplines, at least for me.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Mitch Gibson said:
Can you just wear a large shirt to cover the gun/mags?
stan686 said:
There is a rule book that will line all that out for you...
and that rule is:

8.9. Concealment Garments

8.9.1. Legal concealment garments hide the holster, firearm, ammunition carriers, and loading devices from view.

8.9.2. The concealment garment test is for the competitor to stand with their arms straight out to the side, parallel to the ground. If the standing SO cannot see the previously listed equipment from the front, sides, or rear, then the concealment garment is legal.

8.9.3. Concealment garments may not be modified with plastic zip ties, wire, metal, Styrofoam, cardboard, or any similar material that would stiffen the garment or pockets. Patches may not be placed on concealment garment pockets used during a string of fire. Standard laundry starch is acceptable.

8.9.4. Weights may not be attached to concealment garments, but items may be placed in pockets. Pocket flaps may be inserted into pockets.

8.9.5 Specially made pockets for magazine stowage after a reload may not be used.

8.9.6. Lights do not need to be concealed.

B

Beau

I would love to be able to shoot some idpa. the more the marrier.

I dont recall there being a "pistol division" other than action pistol. Is this a new division of the club? If not, then your efforts should start with talking with the action pistol representatives.

Ah, I just checked; youre the "bullseye"
Yes, do contact John or Matt if you want to have the slightest chance of this happening.

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Scott Hearn said:
OKCGC member: INTERESTEDJust as long as it doesn't conflict USPSA, ICORE/Steel Challenge, or 3 gun. I'll shoot it, but IDPA rules will most definitely stop it from replacing the other mentioned disciplines, at least for me.
I'm just curious and don't mean to stir the pot, but do these other "disciplines" not have any rules that have to be adhered to? I think I have a USPSA rule book around here somewhere that if memory serves me correctly, is pretty comprehensive.

Again, just curious........

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
penman53 said:
I would have to clear this with the board and the cowboy action and action pistol division chairs of course. But any feedback to me would be appreciated.

Mark Thomas
[email protected]

mike cyrwus said:
Yes, do contact John or Matt if you want to have the slightest chance of this happening.
Mark, I am sure you already know this but Mike gives good advice. I would think talking to John Bent, Matt Johnson and the Cowboy Action charirman before you approach the Board, you will have a better reception

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
stan686 said:
I'm just curious and don't mean to stir the pot, but do these other "disciplines" not have any rules that have to be adhered to? I think I have a USPSA rule book around here somewhere that if memory serves me correctly, is pretty comprehensive.

Again, just curious........
Some of the IDPA rules are needlessly restrictive in the eyes of many shooters.

and in the eyes of many shooters, many other disciplines have lost their original intent and have become just an in-person video game without the video.
just the other side of the coin:D

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
When I left last year Tin Star in Weatheford drew 30 and 2 clubs in Tulsa could draw 50+ ... And a " idpa-Iike" thing in Edmond could get over 30 twice a month. You will get a steady group if you do this

You guys who " bad mouth" IDPA keep in mind... Any time you get a clock out its a game.
Some people watch NASCAR and others NHRA.... But if you poo poo a guy who runs a dirt track car....well the guy who sells parts loves us all.
Shooting sports are good for the shooting sports- period.

Latest posts