IDPA at OKC Gun Club

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
stan686 said:
I'm just curious and don't mean to stir the pot, but do these other "disciplines" not have any rules that have to be adhered to? I think I have a USPSA rule book around here somewhere that if memory serves me correctly, is pretty comprehensive.

Again, just curious........
Yes, I was referring to the different rule set for IDPA. Some of their rules are just silly and some are grey as hell leaving a lot of discretion up to the RO/MDs and the unavoidable differing interpretations from club to club. I was meaning that I'll put IDPA at the bottom of my personal priority for matches I'd shoot with my post. But I'd still certainly shoot IDPA if there's a good match around close and it doesn't take away a date from the existing matches at OKCGC.

And just my luck. I sold the awesome SSR gun I had stashed for IDPA a few months ago since there aren't any matches close, it was the most accurate revolver in my safe. But like Jesse said, I'd love to see a match a "league" around here in some discipline.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Jeff said:
You could shoot in a Sam Browne rig too...
Rules ... Every sport has some.
What is a Sam Browne rig? And why are there so many mentions of rules already? Is this going to get Nazi-ish? Is someone going to have a clipboard and checklist? Can I use my 2011 in .40&SW?

stan686

Well-Known Fanatic
Just thought I would repost this comment from another thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------

#86 greygoat
.22 LR

Members

12 posts
LocationBlue Sky Oklahoma
Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:59 PM
The new IDPA rule book is effective October 1, 2013. its an improvement over the 2005 rulebook and its various updates.

The strong suit of IDPA is that it is geared toward indiviuals that have pretty basic gear. You can go to an IDPA match with a centerfire pistol ,9mm or larger caliber, 3 magazines, a strong side holster and basic eye/ear protection. Most stages are shot with a concealment garment, such as a tactical vest, sportcoat or untucked shirt.

The typical IDPA gun can be basic, like a box-stock Glock 19/17, a Springfield Armory XD/XDM or a S&W M&P. There is a division for 1911's in .45 ACP. There are even a couple divisions for those who like to shoot nearly unmodified wheelguns, of 4" of less barrel length.

This basic aspect of what is required to begin shooting is IDPA's strength. Some individiuals start in IDPA, then move on to USPSA. with its greater equipment requirements in divsions other than production or single stack. Some move to Steel Challenge or just start there and stay there. Some start in IDPA and stay there.

I hope we all agree that getting new shooters into the shooting sports, ANY shooting sport, is what will further the continued growth of legal use of firearms, as well as our firearms heritage. IDPA is NOT in competition with other shooting disciplines. If anything, it is a doorway to get individuals into the shooting sports. Those disciplines who are afraid of IDPA taking away their shooters are misguided. If anything, IDPA will provide more shooters into other shooting sports; shooters that have match experience by that point, as well as an understanding of safety rules and match operations.

I am currently the only active IDPA Safety Officer Instructor in the State of Oklahoma. I would be pleased to provide Safety Officer instruction for any new club starting in the OKC area. I'm certain that the IDPA Area Coodinator for the AR/OK area will be pleased to help a new club trying to organize. It takes a place to shoot, as well as a team willing to work to produce safe, fun matches.

Burk Cornelius, Beau and BGAvitek like this Like This
MultiQuote

xdnok

Well-Known Fanatic
OKCGC member interested................... depending on date, I regularly make 4-5 USPSA matches a month and not likely to change that schedule but could support another match that did not interfere with the current USPSA Oklahoma schedule. It might give my 9mm single stack something to do other than occupy space in the safe.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Mitch Gibson said:
What is a Sam Browne rig? And why are there so many mentions of rules already? Is this going to get Nazi-ish? Is someone going to have a clipboard and checklist? Can I use my 2011 in .40&SW?
As mentioned. The rules are rules. Every association has some.

In IDPA... Your 2011 will fall into ESP... 2 mags on the belt.
The holsters can't have offsets and there is some retention tests ..... Any holster you would use for street carry would probably pass

A Sam Brown rig is the traditional holsters and belt worn by uniformed officers... If you care to shoot in duty gear concealment is waived

Sorry. No Nazis here.....

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Jeff said:
As mentioned. The rules are rules. Every association has some.

In IDPA... Your 2011 will fall into ESP... 2 mags on the belt.
The holsters can't have offsets and there is some retention tests ..... Any holster you would use for street carry would probably pass

A Sam Brown rig is the traditional holsters and belt worn by uniformed officers... If you care to shoot in duty gear concealment is waived

Sorry. No Nazis here.....
So a Sam Brown rig is like a leather holster with a flap over the gun and an extra leather strap over the shoulder?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Mitch Gibson said:
So a Sam Brown rig is like a leather holster with a flap over the gun and an extra leather strap over the shoulder?
Mitch... A wide variety of holsters have been worn on Sam Browne belts over the years

In the modern world you will probably see some Safariland retention holster or similar product

There are still a few departments using flap holsters and cross draw holsters... But it's rare

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
This is very interesting....but I'm not at OKCGC member. Several of the girls in our A girl & A gun Club have showed interest in learning IDPA!!

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
zombiegirl said:
This is very interesting....but I'm not at OKCGC member. Several of the girls in our A girl & A gun Club have showed interest in learning IDPA!!

We will still count that as an "Interested"

Latest posts